Priceline no longer what it used to be?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently there have been a couple of posts about Priceline, one in particular about Miami and not being able to get any real deals there in season.

I'm not a big Priceline user (OK, only once with mediocre success), but since we're looking at flying into Seattle one night earlier than our friends and need to pick up a rental car at the Hilton downtown, I thought it might be another good opportunity to try Priceline for just one night. Now, this isn't until July, so I realize that it is far to early to use priceline, but I started looking at Biddling for Travel. I had planned to book something on my own now at a good price, but make sure I could cancel in case I found something on Priceline within a month of arrival. There have been NO winning bids for four star hotels for less than $98 for about a year. There have even been posts from people mentioning that what they got only a year or so ago had more than doubled. Meanwhile I can find some of those same hotels (The Sheraton is the big "winner" on Priceline) for prices of about $129 now by going direct -- not prepaying a penny, and being able to cancel until day of arrival. So what is the advantage of going Priceline and only saving $10 or $20 and risking losing the whole thing, when you can deal direct and get an easily cancelable rate for hardly any more?

I started looking at Seattle three star hotels instead (I won't do that, because of some of the choices and locations) and actually saw many recent "winning bids" that are as high or higher than rates for those same hotels I can bring up on hotels.com, or direct from hotel web sites. I saw few real deals there in the last year, unlike looking back to 2003 when people were getting a $120 room for $39. Those days are apparently long gone.

Are Seattle and Miami unusual, or is this a trend that's happening? Fewer really great deals from Priceline?
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:47 AM

There probably aren't too many people here who use priceline so extensively as to be able to form a broad-based opinion. But, I can say I've been very happy with it in Chicago, typically paying about 1/2 of what I could get directly through the hotel.

My advice - do exactly what you've said. Book a cancellable hotel now. As your trip gets closer (just close enough to be sure you won't need to cancel) start trying priceline. Set a limit. $39 for a $129 hotel is a steal, not just a bargain. But consider going up to about $75 for a good deal with still considerable savings. You can find deals several months in advance, all the way through last minute. If you're not averse to spending a few minutes every 3 days trying priceline, you could save some money. If it doesn't work out, you'll still have your backup room.

Good luck!
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:58 AM
caribtraveler

Hi Patrick.
I use Priceline quite a bit. I have noticed that the savings are not as great as the year before...which I assume means more people are traveling so hotels are not as empty as they used to be, especially after 9/11.
I think that yes it is too early to start bidding for July...however, I think you can always bid but set a limit to your bid so you don't overbid or feel like you paid too much. Set your limit by looking at what is the best rate on the hotel's web site. For me, it's usually 50% less. And I start bidding at about 60% less than hotel's web site. I'm a bit more flexible with the % closer to the trip if I see I'd still save a lot of money.
I agree with the previous poster. Book a cancellable back-up and keep bidding (with your set limit). You can't lose that way.
Regarding your question about just Miami and Seattle being unusual or a trend. I think it's a trend for the reasons stated above. I've noticed higher bids for the Caribbean as well.
Good luck!

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Maybe I wasn't clear in my first post. Yes, I agree that $39 for a $129 room is a STEAL, but my point was that people haven't gotten those deals for over a year according to Bidding for Travel, instead they seem to only be saving an average of $20 on a room that is over $100. Big difference.
My other point was that yes, I will book now, and try later, but frankly if I've booked a four star for $129 and by June I see that NO ONE has won a 4 star on Priceline for less than $100 in over a year, then I really doubt I'd go to the trouble of all that bidding just to possibly save $29 and take my chances of losing more if I have to cancel?

Also I'm curious what you mean by starting bidding at 60% less. Less than what? Less than standard rates? Sure, but what I'm saying is that I'm already finding cancelable special pricing that is already 40 to 50% below those standard rates. Perhaps one advantage is that I'm now able to book senior or other rates because it is so far in advance, making the future Priceline bidding less advantageous than if they only had full price rooms left if booking direct.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:23 AM

I just got the Hyatt Regency in Miami for $50 when their website rate was $240. That's a steal!
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
>Also I'm curious what you mean by starting bidding at 60% less.<

caribtraveler said he/she starts bidding at 60% of the rate on the hotel's own website.

I think the explosion of internet commerce has squeezed Priceline out at the upper end of the hotel food chain, 4* and 5* places. As you know upper scale hotels often run their own internet specials or have email deals for frequent guests. And I agree with you that for $20-$40 more, I'd take the convenience of cancelling or amending my reservation.

I almost never (London being the exception) bid on PL hotels for a vacation stay. Don't want to take the risk on getting a dog room on holiday.

I do think, however, that there's a great deal of savings being had at the PL 3* level which I use frequently for business in the DC area. Paying $35-$45 a night for the McLean/Tysons Hilton is big savings. I'd even do a 2.5* if it meant getting a Marriott Courtyard.

Your post prompted me to look at the DC parts of BFT and it appears that the vast majority of the bids are in the 2.5-3* range for rates $50 and under.

So I guess PL isn't what it used to be, it's, uh, morphed into something else.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:08 AM

Patrick, I'm getting a sense you're right. I've been trying to book a room for the latter half of this week (3 days) in the FLL beach, or even Coconut Grove/Coral Gables via Priceline. Been following the biddingfortravel postings, and watching timelines, but wasn't able to come up with a 4-star accomodation at a comfortable price. Last year at this time it was relatively easy.

Finally went with FLL Beach Holiday Inn (3-star) via Hotwire for just over $100. Mixed reviews--I'll know more a week from now! I just ran out of time and the desire to keep juggling areas and the ratings of various properties therein.

Most assuredly, bargains are still available. Last month, got a 4-star at Heathrow for my wife for $55. And that was the second time in a year for that property at that price.

But the better properties, in season, do seem to be disappearing. My guess is a combination of more people traveling, and better yield management by the nicer lodgings.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:18 AM

Hi Patrick, one must be very vigilant when using Priceline. It takes a lot of work and energy, and not a lot of people have the time to keep bidding often.

Also, and most importantly, as mentioned above travel is back up again pre 911 levels. Americans are not leaving the US because of the weak dollar and many Europeans are visiting the US (especially Miami) becuase because their $$ is strong. I just used Priceline for the Drake hotel in NY 2 weeks ago at $130/nt and upgraded to a suite for an additional $75/nt when the website was showing $349, so we saved over $1000 for the week. The deals are still there.

We've been to Miami once/yr for the past 3 years, this last visit we noticed way more Europeans than the prior years. Not just the Brits but Germans/French and such as well.

I disagree about "getting the dog room" comments. Just this last year my family & I have spent more than 40 nights in PL rooms, never had a bad experience and have been upgraded to full ocean view rooms at the Royal Palm Crowne Plaza on 2 separate occasions. We paid $115/nt when it was $289 & $180/nt direct.

Over the years we have been upgraded to suite/concierge level 7 times (twice for week long stays) and received poor accomodations on 2 occasions. We have spent 100+ nights on PL rooms over the years. On the poor stays one hotel was since downgraded and the other has a long list of complaints on biddingfortravel.com.

The key is to do your homework. All the travel trends are also noted on BFT. I think I mentioned once before, I try to avoid zones where Hiltons are a possibility and they come up a lot. They are known to give the less desirable rooms. Marriott is fine, and Crowne Plaza and Starwood still upgrade when one is a rewards member.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:25 AM

Bookhall, how far did you go on Priceline for a 3* hotel room? In general Piceline will beat any Hotire hotel room by $15-20/nt. Also Hotwire's fees are higher. There is a section of BFT devoted to where Hotwire beats PL, and it is very rare when Hotwire ends up less.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:26 AM
caribtraveler

I meant 60% less than the cheapest price I find on the hotel web site (and it could be an internet only rate).
So you weren't really asking questions then, you were simply making some points?
I think everyone is different, some people are fine with saving only $10 or $20/night. Whatever works for you.
Personally, If I can save over $40/night or 50% and over per night, Priceline is worth it to me.
For example, I did end up winning this morning the 4* Hyatt in Coral Gables for $95/night. $40 more than what I won it for in July, but then again the hotel's rates were cheaper in the summer. For my date this Feb. the hotel's web site rate is $279/night. That's over 50% savings. I had set a bidding limit and it took me quite a few tries. But I'm a happy camper.

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:37 AM
Dan

I think Patrick is correct. In many cases, Priceline isn't nearly as helpful in getting a great deal as it used to be. In New Orleans, many properties no longer use it and those who do have cut back their inventory while raising the rates they will accept. This leaves the subpar properties (Radisson, mainly) to get nearly all the Priceline business.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:39 AM
caribtraveler

travelinwifey: I had never heard that about the Hiltons, but that would make sense to me. We stayed in one in Puerto Rico with a Priceline win (Feb. "04). The room was just lovely. Not!
In 2 weeks, we'll be staying at the Hilton in Curacao (Hotwire win). it will be interesting to see the room we get.
Frankly, we really don't care much about our rooms for our winter trips. We're rarely in them and the trips are solely to escape NJ's winter.
I have to say that I've had good room experiences with Hyatts/Omnis and a Westin with Priceline.

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:49 AM

Hi Caribtraveler, yes, if you go to BFT's Hotel Misratings section there is a thread entitled "Hilton giving inferior rooms to Priceline customers". Check it out. I just try to avoid any zone that has a Hilton to avoid disappointment. Ditto the comments on Hyatt and Omni, good experiences on those brands.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:18 AM

BTW, The Sagamore Miami just started showing up on Priceline at $135/nt, one bidder got it when the room rates were $600+ per night.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:25 AM
GoTravel

Patrick, a couple of reasons priceline isn't what is used to be.

1) Priceline gained its popularity right after September 11th when the travel industry as a whole came to a grinding halt. Off priceline, you could steal a 4* hotel in Midtown for $85 per night.

2) The war on Afganistan, the begining of the war in Iraq, and the additional threat of terrorism kept the travel industry crippled (do a search on this board "cancel my plans" "afraid to travel" "terrorists attack Disney" etc).

3) Hotel occupancy across the board has returned to its bloated pre-September 11th levels.

4) Hotel companies are offering lower rates on their own sites and bypassing priceline.

5) The airlines are flying smarter and raising prices. In order to break even on most airlines, the plane must have at least an 85% pax load. The days are long gone when you could find an empty seat on a plane.

Of course there are other reasons but the bottom line is that people are traveling again and bargains are scarce.

The best way to combat that is to travel in off season or shoulder season.

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:27 AM

I fail to understand why people accept these inferior rooms. I have always just gone back to the front desk and asked to be moved. Once a clerk gave me a hard time, I asked for the manager and explained that no one forced the hotel to take that rate and I would not accept an inferior room. Wound up being upgraded as an apology. I was nice and polite, but refused to "settle"
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:30 AM
GoTravel

Good for you Carol!

Unless the hotel is full or oversold, there is no reason to accept a dismal room.

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:23 AM

I'm still getting great deals but they're usually in less popular markets. I keep track of my bids, the hotel rates, hotel tax costs, Priceline fees, dates, etc. and what my percentage of savings is. I've been using Priceline for a little over 2 years now. According to my spreadsheet I've saved an average of 61% for 88 nights in hotels.

I stayed at the Hyatt Union Station in St Louis in December for a $40 per night bid. The hotel website best rate was $89. I saved 51%.

Though popular Boston isn't as much in the winter. I got the 4* hotel@mit for a $65 bid back in December. The hotel website had a rate of $119. I saved 42%. (This is for the Boston GTG next weekend. $155 for the hotel for 2 nights + $10 for my FF ticket makes it a pretty reasonable weekend getaway to Boston...until I get the bar bill. )

I just won the Indy Omni downtown for a $44 bid in a couple of weeks. The Omni web site had a best rate AAA discount of $170. Savings of 70 percent. This is darn close to my all time best savings of 77% for the Indy Marriott in July '03.

I use the luxury of flexibility to get better deals in Indianapolis. I decide I have an open weekend or two and want to treat myself to a downtown Indy hotel stay. (I have a nice dinner, drink one too many Manhattans, see a movie and crash. It's quality "me" time. )

I check a few hotel rates in downtown Indy. If the hotel is sold out that weekend or the rates are really high I pick another date. Sometimes I'm shut out of 2 or 3 weekends due to high hotel rates. Once I find a slow weekend I start "bottom bidding." 4* at the least possible accepted bid of $40. I work up from there. If I get to $55 I stop bidding and figure it wasn't meant to be.

I have friends who say they don't get the same Priceline deals that I get in Indy. I keep telling them they make the mistake of saying "we have to have a hotel for this one particular night."
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:58 AM

I do think some deals are still there on Priceline, but you have to work a little harder at it. Yes, there are more rockbottom rates other places on the internet, but many of the lowest rates on the hotel websites seem to require prepayment, with a $25 penalty if you end up canceling (though you CAN cancel).

Last year I seemed to get fantastic rates on Priceline in some locations without hardly trying. Example: $79 for JW Marriott in Mexico City, versus $249 on the hotel site, and that is a FANTASTIC hotel. Almost always I was able to get the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables for under $60, even in February(I go there a lot because daughter is at UM). I am not getting those deals this year. Postings on biddingfortravel also seem to be down--I know a lot of people got fed up with the moderator and stopped posting. For me the appeal of Priceline was staying at a nicer property than I would ordinarily spring for, at a reduced price. But when the price is not as reduced, and bidding on Priceline carries (as always) the danger of getting a property you wouldn't want if you knew ahead, that's when I think about going back to the Holiday Inn, where I have flexibility and at least know the drawbacks of what I am getting.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 04:54 PM

I'm not sure that "a lot" of people got tired of Sheryl but I'm sure a few people do get put off when she gets aggrivated with posters that don't do their homework. She works almost 24 hrs a day on that website, and I'm sure it can be very frustrating when people don't want to do the work and rather the moderator do it for them.

Sheryl took a sabbatical a while ago and she seems to be in a much better place now I almost enjoy her snippiness, shows she's got

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -