Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Priceline flight 6:05 am, what if I miss flight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had good news and bad news with my first experience using Priceline for a RT airline ticket. The good news was my low ball offer for a RT flight was accepted. The bid that was accepted was 60% off the lowest fare offered through the airlines! The BAD News was my departing flight leaves at 6:05 am, which will require a 3:30 am wake up.

What would happen if at 6:00 am I rolled out of bed, called the airline and told them I had a flat tire and could not make the flight? Would they rebook me for later in the day, so I could go back to sleep, or would my ticket be Airline ticket become worthless?
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:31 AM

Tell you what, try it, then come back and post here and let us all know about how the rotten airline wouldn't buy your story and rebook your flight.

You snooze you lose. Literally.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:31 AM

Which airline?Most of the majors have a use it or lose rule.Some of them also have the 'flat tire" rule which would give you a 2 hour or so window.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:37 AM

I'm going to take some heat for this one, but I would hope your ticket does become worthless.

We know when we book on Priceline that the schedules may be inconvenient. Failing to show for a flight results in lost revenues, which in turn drive the prices up for all of us. If you weren't willing to accept the risks of inconvenient flight times, than you should not have used Priceline.

I wouldn't take the same "hard-ass" attitude for someone who was actually on the road with a REAL car problem. Come to think of it, people who pull stunts like you're contemplating only result in hurting people with true emergencies as the airlines get sick of the excuses and eventually get tougher with their policies. So set the alarm, get up early, and live up to your obligations.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:44 AM

I agree with rb_traveler. I used Priceline's airticket service when I was in school and didn't care about losing a vacation day or two due to inconvenient flight schedules. Our economy is based on making $$$, and the airlines will not give you cheap tickets for flights they can sell out at their normal rates. When you bid for tickets, you can be 95% sure that you will get the worst possible flight times; that's the bargain and everyone understands it.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:56 AM

My husband missed a return flight on a Priceline ticket, and the airline made him pay $75 to reschedule the flight. They also stressed that they were only letting him change the flight because they were being sympathetic, and that they were under no obligation to do so.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:08 AM
OliveOyl

BeachBoi has a point about the flat tire bit--I'd forgotten about that. I may be naive, but I interpreted Bunch's note as wondering what would happen if he really did oversleep, not that he planned on it. Whatever, PCLN or not, aren't the rules the same? If you aren't there for your flight, you've just lost your money? I didn't think even medical emergencies that forced a trip cancellation qualified you for leniency these days.

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:09 AM

Why not use Priceline again and get a cheap airport hotel room the night before?
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:19 AM

Olive
You are CORRECT! you have until midnite of the date you are ticketed for travel to make any changes.I have heard of exceptions being made,as always.The airlines can and do break their own rules.Also, medical does not "qualify" although there again,exceptions have been made.But its not something you should plan for.The LowFare carriers are a totally different ball game.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:31 AM
GoTravel

This is the exact reason I will not book airline tickets on priceline. I have missed flights and the airline I frequently fly with has always worked with me.

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:50 AM

99.9% of the time airlines WIL NOT make any exceptions on a Priceline ticket. If you are not there for your flight, you might as well get back on the internet and try Priceline again for a new ticket, because your original ticket is worthless, as in 0 dollars and 0 cents.
I have witnessed one time where the airline made an exception for an elite member, but he still had to pay change fee and the difference in fare, although they gave him the lowest 'regular' fare. Priceline fares are booked into a consolidator fare code, no exchanges/no returns/ no NOTHING! You break, you buy!!!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 08:25 AM

I'd take Bri's advice and just stay at an airport hotel the night before. It's just less stressful that way. The hotel may even provide free parking in their lot for the duration of your trip, so if you were planning to drive yourself and park in the airport lot, then this may even save you money depending on the hotel rate and the length of your trip.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:38 PM

Can you sell your ticket on E-Bay and then bid on a flight that would be more convenient??

-- or --

Get to the airport on time and sleep on the plane... duhhhhhhh
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:24 PM

You're getting some good advice here: SHOW UP. In those cases where flights are missed, the ticket is likely to be worthless. If you do happen to get an accommodation, it could simply that of allowing you to stand by for an empty seat on a later flight -- not actually re-booking you with a firm seat on a known flight. That could mean spending the whole day at the airport. You could also be liable for extra charges, as others have said. Some airlines have adopted "no waivers-no favors" policies that really put the agents in a bad position to help you in situations like this. There are plenty of flights that are running full these days because of schedule reductions and smaller planes being substituted on some routes to keep load factors up, too. Don't risk it. You've made a contract, so be there on time and ready to go.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 03:05 AM
OliveOyl

Heartburn3...how could you sell your ticket on Ebay, or anywhere for that matter, in these days of non-transferrable, non-refundable tickets where your ticket is taken at check-in and compared side by side with your picture ID to ensure that names match exactly on both, as well as match the face?

I am more than mildly interested in this thread because an acquaintance has just had to cancel a trip for legit health reasons. The money for all but their airfare has been refunded. Delta has gone by the books, no refund, book a new trip before departure date of this one, etc. Those of us who advised her have said there isn't any hope of altering their policy. Were we wrong?? One of our group keeps advising her to try to sell it. That I *know* you can't do.

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 04:44 AM

Oliveoyl, I do believe Heartburn is being facetious, and that Bunch is trolling--again.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:02 AM

My compliments ronkala. I think you're right on both counts!
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:17 AM

Olive
It's a beautiful day for a run on the beach!! You are correct....the ticket cannot be SOLD.Airline tickets are non transferrable,always have been.IMHO, in this case with your friend...you might have a chance if they contact Delta Customer Service.They might stretch their policy and issue transportation vouchers for the cost of the air fare,perhaps deducting a fee.These vouchers are good for a year from date of issue and of course would be non refundable.But then again,they might stick to their guns.HTH
S
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:25 AM

Let me get this straight..your saving 60%, but complaining that you need to get up a few hours early to make the flight time?

If this is for real,what did you expect from Priceline?

My advice,get over it and go to bed early.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:35 AM
OliveOyl

BeachBoi....my running shoes are in the closet for the time being, anyway. Sidelined... but temporarily only!

ronkala and Howard are right...I answered Heartburn before my java had kicked in and hadn't even seen Heartburn's "duuuh". Duuuh! b-(
Yes...they can get vouchers, but have been penalized $100/ticket as well, of course. Their tickets were $600, so to reuse on another flight, they'd be out another $200, and worse, she's unsure of future health...worried that the same thing could conceivably recur and they'd have thrown good money after bad. I didn't believe there was any way around any of these regulations, but would sure hate to be giving out bad information, too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -