Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

President's Cup: Washington: Where to Stay???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 10:59 AM
Mike

Hi! We have just decided to attend the President's Cup next weekend in Washington!
B/c we don't know the area at all I was
wondering if anyone can help with suggestions
for a really great hotel not too far from the tournament.
Thanks!

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 05:24 AM
Steve

I think it's being held out in Manassas (don't quote me on that). There are about 6 million chain hotels just off of 66 on Route 234. Don't know where exactly the golf course is. I would check web sites for all of the major chains, and get their locations in Manassas.

I lived in Manassas for 2 years and figure that's really what hell is like, but if you just want to see the golf, and aren't concerned about staying in strip mall hell with plenty of chain stores and restaurants (however, Heroes in the old town part of Manassas is a decent restaurant), just stay there.

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 06:41 AM
Dave

Steve, I believe that she is talking about the President's Cup horse races. Although I have heard them referred to as the Gold Cup more often. There are a bunch of hotels out there including a ramada in Fair Oaks not too far from the horse track. Have fun.

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 06:49 AM
Diane

No, it is the Presidents' Cup Golf, which is being held in suburban Virginia. It is a very cool golf tournament -- usually attended by real, live former (and the present) U.S. Presidents. Obviously the Pro-Am event is as exciting as the Pro tournament. Tiger's gonna be there and many people who've gone say it is probably one of the most exciting sports events they've ever attended. Lucky you, Mike! Yes, suburbs is suburbs, but the event's "The Thing" in this case.

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 08:06 AM
Mike

Diane, you are absolutely right! It's
golf! And, you were right about another thing: It's in Gainesville, Virginia
@the Robert Trent Jones GC not
Washington! I don't know what I was thinking that day! Anyway.....should I re-post for Virginia? Still dan't know where to stay! Any suggestions??

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 08:59 AM
Dave

My bad...you are right, although the races are being held next weekend out at the Plains if anyone is interested

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 09:03 AM
Diane

I live in Maryland, so I've not had need to stay at any of these places, but about 5-6 miles from Gainesville is Manassas, as Steve pointed out, and all the chains are there. Probably the best of the bunch (with the most comfortable ammenities) are the Country Inn & Suites or the Courtyard by Marriott in Manassas (you can pull up descriptions and links via Yahoo's Yellow Pages for "Gainesville"). Chantilly, VA is about 10 miles away where there's a big Marriott Conference Center (Hey, I tend to look for Marriott to get the "points"). But just about all brand names are in the area: Fairfield, Holiday Inn, Super8, Red Roof, so there are many choices. Have a wonderful time. If the weather stays with us like it is today...WOW.