Pre-Theater Dining (and Brunch) in NYC

Jun 19th, 2001, 04:54 PM
Kathy

Pre-Theater Dining (and Brunch) in NYC

My husband and I will be taking our son to NYC for his 21st birthday next month. We're staying on East 55th Street and seeing shows on 42nd and 44th. Would love to hear some favorite pre-theatre and brunch locations in Midtown Manhattan. For dinner, we especially like Italian, Chinese, or American; we checked Zagats and are considering Barbetta, Becco, or Orso for one night and perhaps Shun Lee Palace for the other. Sunday brunch is entirely up in the air. Reactions/ideas are most welcome; I know we need to make reservations SOON!

Jun 19th, 2001, 06:20 PM
anne

Bryant street cafe is very nice for brunch (around 40th and sixth). I've only been to Beccos. I think of it as pretty good Italian in large quantities.

Jun 19th, 2001, 08:06 PM
CB

Carmine's on 44th is a must for us when in NYC. We usally eat after the theatre. Put your name on the list before going. It will take that long to get a table! Good value and quality is excellent. Best Chicken Parmesean ever!

Jun 20th, 2001, 05:57 AM
bennie

Our company hosts a dinner for 30 at Becco's every year. Its never disappointed us. I'd love to go there sometime for a private dinner.

Jun 20th, 2001, 06:06 AM
Cheryl

I love the Red Eye Grill on the corner of 7th and 56th (?or somewhere near there). Great atmosphere and food, and prices are not too bad for a Manhattan restaurant.

Jun 20th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Va

I like Becco very much. Nice New York-ish townhouse setting; owned I believe by the owners of Felidia; specialty (& recommended)--3 pasta specials, as much of them as you like, served from their copper pans, for about $20, think this includes a salad or antipasto too. Very warm friendly European service.
Shun Lee Palace is not convenient to theatres, if we are thinking of the same place, I think it's on Third Avenue, and then there's a spinoff near Lincoln Center (which is ocnvenient to Lincoln Center!). Shun Lee's food is great.
Orso used to be a celebrity place as well as having good food.
You can't get a taxi from the East side to the West side at theatre time. (really.) So if you eat on the East Side, leave an hour before your show and take a bus & walk. Or walk the whole way, it's about 1/2 hour.
Sunday brunch I REALLY recommend Aquavit, it is not far from you, it is beautiful, and I believe they have a wonderful Sunday buffet.

Jun 20th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Keith

Depends on how much of a gourmet you are. I am a serious gourmet and I would go to Gotham on 12th st. during the week only for a brunch/lunch. Also be sure to check out the NYC tourist board site for restaurants that have summer specials you could go to a real high brow restaurant and enjoy haute cuisine for cheap when they do these offers.

Jun 20th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Amanda

Kathy,
Just got back Sunday from a whirlwind NYC trip--saw 5 shows in 4 days! Carmine's is a fun place with LOTS of great food-- the wait was 2 1/2 hours so be sure to make a reservation. We didn't.Had a terrific meal pre-theater at Ollies Noodle House nearby. Also we really enjoyed an Italian restaurant directly across the street from the Barrymore Theater on 47th. It was called South Sea or something similar. Not crowded but actor Tony Roberts was sittng next to us--he's starring in the Allergist's Wife at the Barrymore. I was disappointed that we didn't get to try Joe Allen's. Enjoyed all the shows we saw; they were all so different-- Rent, The Full Monty, Aida, The Music Man, and The Producers. Have a great time!!

Jun 20th, 2001, 04:19 PM
elaine

Kathy,

At the suggestion of many native New Yorkers, we recently enjoyed a wonderful Sunday brunch at Bryant Park Grill. It was within walking distance to St. James Theater. We were seated promptly, the brunch menu had nice offerings, the meal was terrific and we also liked the fixed price. When we are next in the theater district, we would definitely dine there again.

Jun 20th, 2001, 04:20 PM
elaine

addendum to my post:

I should add native New Yorkers who frequent Fodors Forum!

Jun 21st, 2001, 08:01 AM
Howard

Either Becco or Orso would be good choices for Italian in the theater district. Definitely make reservations. If it's for a weekend, call about a month ahead!
Another good Italian restaurant closer to where you're staying (and within walking distance of the theater district) is Remy on West 53rd, between 6th and 7th Avenues.
Bryant Park Grill is a good choice (and a convenient location for theatergoing) for brunch. And, depending on the weather, you have a choice is outdoor or indoor seating.