Potential Itinerary for weekend in NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I will be in New York City for the weekend of May 4-6th. We get into New York at around 11.30pm on Friday. We leave on Sunday at 4pm. I realize this is a short time but I'd like to get as much into the time I have as possible. We're bidding on Priceline for a hotel and don't have reservation yet. We're hoping for something in the Midtown area.

This is what I am thinking more or less for right now:

Friday night - get to the hotel, check in and probably just settle in.

Saturday - Start the day with Top of the Rock (I have done the Empire State Building at night so wanted a day time view). Then head to where ever it is to catch the ferry to Ellis Island. We'll just take photos of the Statue of Liberty from the boat. After enjoying Ellis Island return to Manhattan and do some exploring. Not quite sure what to fit in here. We then want to catch the subway to Brooklyn and return by walking over the bridge around sunset. This evening is open too, not sure what museums etc we could get into that late. Also explore Times Square area.

Sunday - Explore Central Park, go to the Met, some other stuff in that area (??). Return to Chinatown to catch the bus home at 4pm.

We don't feel we have time to fit in a show on such a short trip.

Any recommendations or suggestions for changes would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 05:07 PM

Although I can't think of anything too specific to do in Times Square at night (besides going to a show or a movie), it's really fun to just walk through it and enjoy the neon lights. Just start at 42nd Street and walk north on Broadway up to drink it all in. It can be fun to just wander in and out of gift shops, go to Virgin Megastore, the M&M or Hershey's store for a chocolate fix, etc. Walk all the way up to Columbus Circle/59th Street and you can sit in benches in the circle and watch the fountains.

When you're doing the Met ... in that general area (the Upper East Side) is Bloomingdale's, if that appeals to you. Also Serendipity and Dylan's Candy Shop if you've got a sweet tooth (as I obviously do!).
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Sweet tooth is good, so thanks for that advice. I'm also a little obsessed with taking photos (on vacation I average about 100 - 200 a day LOL). So I'm sure that will take up some of my time as we're wondering around.

Thanks for the advice about where to start walking etc.

I also wanted to ask is it true that it can take as long as 2 hours to get on the ferry to Ellis Island? That would kill a lot of my precious time.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Yes it takes easily 2 hours. If you only want pictures from the boat, take the Staten Island ferry (the orange one).

Runs more frequently, is free, etc.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

I'd really like to go to the Ellis Island museum. We're happy not to get off at the Statue of Liberty.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 07:29 PM

Don't forget to walk around Rockefeller Center (Plaza?).... between 7-9 AM you can join the outdoor crowd for the Today show. Nearby is St. Patrick's Cathedral And Radio City Music Hall. All these sights are around 5th and 6th Ave and 50th St.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 03:15 AM

The Met museum is open til 9 pm on Saturdays and there's usually live music.

I think you'd be best starting Sat. morning by going straight to the ferry for Ellis Island and doing TOTR later in the day or on Sun. morning. If you get to the ferry at 7:45 you can probably make the first ferry at 8:30. By heading straight to Ellis Island, you should have the place almost to yourselves.

I have looked on hotwire which can be a good gauge of Priceline availability and there's a 4* hotel in midtown east available for your weekend that's either the Hyatt or the Intercontinental at $205/night. I'd guess it's the Hyatt. Both hotels have rooms for that weekend. If you bid today for 4* in MTE I think you'd be able to get something for $120-140/night.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 05:25 AM

Someone I know just got the Intercontinental Barclay on Priceline for May 4-7 for $150/night. You should bid right away!
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Just tried Priceline for MTW, MTE, SMT and CPS for $150, didn't get anything, but we'll keep trying. We're not too worried yet.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 08:40 AM

Really weird.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Would it be worth doing the Staten Island ferry late on Friday night? I'm thinking once we've checked into our hotel etc (so probably after midnight) depending on how we're feeling. I really like the idea of getting a view of the City at night.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 03:27 AM

Not sure what you're asking in terms of is it worth it. I don't think the lights in the SOL are turned off.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

I know it's free, but if we've just been sitting on a bus for 4 hours, is it worth creeping into our sleep time to experience it? Also is it a dramatically different view than we would get elsewhere - say walking across the Brooklyn Bridge at sunset? Our time is so limited that I really am trying to fit in as much as possible. Also how long does the round trip take?
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:43 AM

I wouldn't lose any sleep to ride the Staten Island Ferry. I'm trying to imagine the assortment of drunks and weirdos that will be on it after midnight on a Friday. If you're already taking a boat trip to Ellis Island you have the Harbor covered and the view of the city as you come across the Brooklyn Bridge is spectacular. The SI Ferry is 30 minutes each way. You have to get off on the other side but you can get right back on the same boat - and you'll want to. I'm not sure how frequently they run at that time but there's probably one leaving at least every 30 minutes. You could go by the terminal to see if it's something you want to do.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

OK still needing help. There is so much to see, and so little time. I'm really having a hard time figuring out how to fill the time I'm still wanting to fill.

Here's what I have in mind so far:

Friday arrive in Chinatown by bus and go to the hotel. We get in at 11.30pm so probably nothing else this night.

Saturday:

Up early to catch the first SOL/Ellis Island ferry. We will take pics of the SOL from the boat then continue on to Ellis Island and the museum. On returning find a place to get lunch, then walk through lower Manhattan to the WTC site. We'll then have from that time til an hour before sunset to fill. Not quite sure what to put in this time slot.

Take the subway over to Brooklyn for a light dinner and walk back across the bridge at sunset. From there take the bus or subway to Times Square area and then walk through that area.

Sunday.

Start at Top of the Rock, or possibly do TOR Saturday afternoon. Today we want to do Central Park (will finalize which parts soon - any recommendations?). Possibly include MOMA/Met/Natural History museum. We have to be back in Chinatown at 3pm to catch the bus at 4pm.

We have a backup hotel booked in New Bergen New Jersey, but we're still trying on Priceline for a hotel on Manhattan.

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 10:26 AM

The visit to Ellis Island will take anywhere from 2-5 hrs. If you make the first boat (currently 9:30 NOT 8:30) you get to Ellis Island at 10:10
http://www.circlelinedowntown.com/st...k_schedule.asp

On Sat. afternoon, you're not far from Soho, Greenwich Village, lower east side, Chinatown. The Tenement Museum (you must reserve in advance) is often considered to be a good addition to the Ellis Island museum to "get" the immigrant experience. It's not far from the Brooklyn Bridge. I'll also mention the NYwatertaxi.com should be up and running and instead of taking the subway, you could take the water taxi from South STreet Seaport to Fulton St. Brooklyn. You could spend some time in Brooklyn Heights and along the Brooklyn Promenade.

I think on Sun. you might have time for ONE museum and the park. The Met opens at 9:30 while MOMA doesn't open til 10:30. I'd go up to the Met, do some highlights or whatever interests you. From there head north to the Conservatory Gardens at 104 st & Fifth Ave. Then start making your way south.