Portland vs Seattle?

Old Jan 18th, 1998, 09:18 AM
Maryann

Portland vs Seattle?

HELP!!
I'm trying to plan a vacation in the Northwest at the end of August or beginning of September. I've heard so much about the beauty of the Oregon coastline and the little fishing villages in Puget Sound, but I have to choose between the two, so any input will be highly appreciated!!
Thanks.
Maryann

Old Jan 18th, 1998, 04:30 PM
Glen

I visited Seattle a few months ago and can recommend it very highly. The beauty of the state is worth the trip. One thing I noticed about the place was the amount of beautiful green trees everywhere. We were told that the local Indians have a lot of say in what gets cut down and what doesn't. There is the beautiful Mercer Island not far from the city centre where all of the rich and famous live, no wonder. The very famous Space Needle is in the cioty centre too, with its amazing views from the top. Take a harbour cruise to see the sights from the water and one of the biggest container ports in the world. The majestic Mt Ranier standing guard over the city. Pike Place Markets, the home of the flying fish! There are so many great cafes, shops and restaurants in Seattle. We ate at 13 Coins, a little pricey but great and also at McCormick and Schmick's Harbourside Restaurant (my spelling may be a little out of whack) with the best views of the city money can buy. Of course you can visit places like Boeing, which is mind blowing to say the very least, there's a great gift store there as well. Visit Microsoft or Nintendo company headquarters for an interesting day out. I could go on for ages. I think this is probably the most beautiful city I have visited in the States, and I have been to quite a few over there now. If you would like more info let me know. Cheers!

Old Jan 18th, 1998, 09:56 PM
ML

I'm not sure of your question.....you ask about whether Portland or Seattle is better then talk about seeing the coastlines...so are you vacationing in the city or elsewhere?
If it's the city I vote for Seattle. Although I'm in Portland more often and it does have nice feature, I think Seattle is more beautiful. Now if you are talking about Oregon *coast* vs Puget sound towns then Oregon coast is heads above.

Old Jan 19th, 1998, 08:13 PM
jj

Maryann: There's much to like about both cities, although I'm leaning toward Portland after going there in '95. Portland is more laid back and less congested than Seattle, and Portland's downtown is a joy to walk with the abundant trees along the sidewalks. International Rose Test Gardens are just west of downtown with a nice view of the city and Mt. Hood. Oregon wine country is just southwest of town, and the Columbia River Gorge and Mt. Hood are a short drive away. To the west, Astoria has an excellent location at the mouth of the Columbia River.

Old Jan 19th, 1998, 10:31 PM
andrea

My vote is for Portland! I have to agree with JJ. Portland is very clean and beautiful in every way. Seattle is great, too, but we noticed many more homeless people begging for handouts. You can't compare WA and OR coasts. The Coast of OR has everything! It's my favorite coastline in all of N. America. And talk about clean! Visits to Mt Hood and Mt Batchelor are nearby. One of my favorite drives is along the Columbia River. Take a picnic lunch and hike to each and every magnificent waterfall. Make time for a side trip to Crater Lake. I could go on and on, so e-mail me privately if desired. Andrea

Old Jan 21st, 1998, 04:56 PM
sgorces

Not to forget that Portland is not on the Oregon Coast, it's a couple hours away. On the other hand, Seattle is on Puget Sound. In every other way, Seattle beats Portland. We beat their city, we beat their basketball team, we beat their shopping and their restaurants, and we're just plain nicer folks. Actually, Portland is very nice. Can you do both? There's a great train trip between the two.

Old Feb 9th, 1998, 11:40 AM
Gigi

You really just have to decide what you would most like to do. If I had to choose between cities, I would pick Seattle, just because we like to shop and eat and it is a pretty hip place for both. However, if I were looking for a laid back vacation by the ocean, then the Oregon Coast would win hands down. If I were telling my best friend to plan a vacation to the Northwest this is what I would tell her. Go to Seattle and spend a couple of days there. See Pike place market and the water front area, go up in the space needle etc. Then, take the absolutely beautiful ride on the ferry from the docks in Seattle to Victoria, BC and spend a few days roaming around the island on a motor scooter. Eat fresh fish and chips down at the water front and try the other terrific restaurants downtown.