Portland to astoria

Feb 23rd, 2008, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Portland to astoria

Any reason to take rt 30 between portland and astoria versus the faster way on 26 and 202.

see there are a few birding sites but????

any one done any birding at the 2 areas in portland? would appreciate any comments.

also on the art museum. worth a visit? how does it compare to ???

thanks for everyones help. slowly getting this trip together

Feb 23rd, 2008, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

mean portland oregon if not clear from above message
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:11 PM

I think that US 30 along that route is bo-o-o-o-ring. Unless, of course, you take time to jump off just west of Westport (Or) and take the Wahkiakum Ferry to Puget Island in the middle of the Columbia River. What an idyllic, pastoral (is that redundant?) place! Then take the ferry back and you're on your way. That's the only reason I would ever take US 30.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:32 PM

I agree with Bob about US 30; take 26 to 101 instead. Scenery's actually better in my opinion.

I'm not into birding. Where are the two areas in Portland? Forest Park and Sauvie Island? Both are nice, even if you don't see any birds. ;-)

The Art Museum is a good one for a city the size of Portland. Worth a visit? If you've been to any in NYC, San Francisco, Chicago, or Europe, I'd say pass.
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:20 AM

Take 26, you could stop at Camp 18 for a meal, good food in a fun ambiance. Where are you staying in Astoria? ***kim***
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:32 AM

If you leave Portland and drive straight out of town ( easy to do) on #26 then turn right at #101.. it will take you about 90 min..then whatever time it takes you to get to Astoria.

By the time you get to Camp 18, you are almost there, I would just keep going and eat at the Coast, it is nice but not a Must.

I love that drive, you pass the suburbs on the way out of town, then the flat fields and farms and all around are those beautiful mountains then you start goind Up and into the forest and the road gets more winding then finally you come to 101 and you drive along the amazing coast.
I did 30 once and it was awful..with our son visiting, we all got so bored we turned around and went back lol.

I went to the Art Museum all the time. It is a very good museum..definitely worth a visit.
It is so easy to get to, no reason not to go for an hour or so.
I don't compare Museums..I go to museums in every town I visit or live in and regardless of how small or large the town or museum, I find pleasure in the quiet time spent wandering any museum ..
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:42 AM

Scarlett, your museum is as my wine shop, patisserie, or fromagerie. ;-)

***kim***, why is it that, no matter what is asked, you always end up talking about food? ;-)
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:46 AM

Scarlett, your museum is as my wine shop, patisserie, or fromagerie

LOL beachbum, you forgot the golf thing...

Good thing Joanel didn't ask about shoe shopping
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:50 AM
mms

scarlett and beachbum--Your posts always make me laugh and smile

HWY 26 is much more scenic. I don't know anything about birding though. The art museum is very nice, but you might want to check which exhibits will be there when you are here so you can determine if it is something that interests you or not. If we have good weather when you come, then I would vote for outside activities. But if its rainy, then the museum is perfect.