Portland Theatre Trip

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portland Theatre Trip

We're planning a small group trip in early August to Portland to see the musical, "Menopause". We are thinking of 2 nights at the Westin and have yet to decide on dinner. Any assistance will be appreciated. Company welcome. Thank you.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 06:30 PM

There are almost endless dining posibilities in Portland. Are you looking for a particular cuisine? Must the restaurant be near the theater? What price range?
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Hi! We enjoyed a very nice meal at Paley's Place a few days ago. We like to dine out on the front porch there. Excellent food. Right across the street is Wildwood, another one of our favorites.

We enjoyed a nice lunch at Fenouil in the Pearl also. We will have to try dinner there sometime. Another consideration would be either Bluehour or Park Kitchen, both are very good. Have fun in Portland! ***kim***
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Kim, did you also see a play?
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Hi Irish,
The Westin is nice and a good location for getting to other parts of town by streetcar.
Dinner is wonderful at Fenouil..which is French-ish and not inexpensive.
How big is your small group?
I guess I would suggest Wildwood if you want to go to that area of town, near your hotel you might all like Southpark, seafood, excellent!
http://southpark.citysearch.com/

Park Kitchen is nice but might be tough if your group is large, Bluehour is pricey but good for groups..
http://www.bluehouronline.com/

Then there is Higgins
http://higgins.citysearch.com/

Hope this helps, as a local, I tend to try every new place that opens lol..happytrails is SO right, Portland has endless dining possibilities..

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:07 AM

My wife saw Menopause several weeks ago, and came home with tears of laughter streaking down her face. And sunbum, another regular poster on this forum saw it too, with pretty much the same reaction as my wife. You're in for a treat.

If you're looking for dinner before theatre, the already suggested Higgins or Southpark Seafood Grill would be convenient. Heathman or Pazzo would both be nice too. Pazzo has a great room for small groups.

kimamom, you're confusing me again. A month or so ago, you wrote you were planning an "extended" stay on the Oregon coast. Extended turned out to be, what... 10 days? Here you write you had dinner at Paley's "a few" days ago, whereas on another forum you said that was actually June 11. So, "a few" days is longer than an "extended stay"?

Faina, you know better than to ask that question. ;-)

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:15 AM

quot;>
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Kal

Mrs Kal saw Menopause a few months ago in SF. Still humming tunes from it as she tossses off the sheets at night!

Scarlett,
Maybe they were in "dog days" ((&))

Too many meals, not enuff Del Sol, numerous long 16 hr car trips car trips, fast food and nearing 50 yrs old takes a toll on one's mind.

I know...I'm living proof!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:41 AM

Dragonfish is a nice option, too. Pan asian serving sushi and many other great dishes.

South Park and Higgins are also a couple of my favorites. They both have a good wine selection and Higgins has an amazing selection of beers from around the world.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 08:10 AM

Yes, Higgins is very good. You may want to consider the Heathman, we have only had desserts there but there is a very nice thread on the portland food dot org website about the new changes that have been done there. ***kim***
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

I want to thank all of you for the great response. Though our little travel group has made a last minute change in plans so we can catch "Phantom of the Opera" in Vancouver in August, we will be heading to Portland in the fall if "Menopause" is still playing. Again, anyone with discriminating tastes who likes to travel for quick theatre jaunts is welcome to join us wherever we go.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Neopolitan

Too funny, Irish. So to see Menopause, the main requirement is that you have "discriminating taste"?

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Kal

Neither my taste nor I discriminate so we saw Menopause in SF.

Portland HAS a theater Co? :-"
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 04:33 PM

Les Liaisons Dangereuses is coming in the fall and the Oregon Ballet will be starting their new season..
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Neopolitan

Top shows in Portland:

The Rainmaker
Rain
Singin' in the Rain
Raindance
A Hatful of Rain
Three Days of Rain
and The Fantasticks (for its song, "Soon It's Gonna Rain")

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Kal

I heard Dylan's going to be in concert there and playing A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 05:30 PM

I don't know if the food at Higgens is good or not; the night we were there it was very noisy and we were crammed into a tiny table next to the kitchen.

We went to South Park on advice from this site, and it was a very unmemorable experience (except we remembered not to return).

We used to love the Heathman, but on a recent visit an $8 salad was a tiny heap of not much of anything in the midddle of a big plate and the entree didn't make up for it.

We have had a lot of good meals in Portland, but the only place we've been to that has consistently not disappointed us is Pazzo (and some other places now out of business).

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 07:20 PM

happy, that is too bad you didn't like Southpark..funny, I am always let down by Pazzo..everything looks good and has no taste
Next time you are eating out in Portland, try Fenouil over on Jamison Pk..or Carlyle...spendy but worth it..or Everett Street Bistro..on 12th and ..yeah, Everett Street lol...
I promise, you will not be unhappy..I take that back, I hope you will not be unhappy cuz then you would have to be unhappytrailstoyou ...
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 06:10 AM

I am surprised to hear you complain about South Park and Higgins, (Un)happytrails.

I have gone there regularly since they both opened and I have NEVER had a bad meal or bad service.

On the other hand, as with scarlett, I have never been terribly impressed with Pazzo although they do make a mean lemon drop!

it is a good thing we all have different tastes otherwise there would be only a few crowded restaurants and a bunch of empty ones!

Cheers!
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions which I have noted and will give a whirl.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -