Reload this Page >

Portland Sunday morning

Search

Portland Sunday morning

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Jill

Portland Sunday morning

Any suggestions as to what my friend and I could do on a Sunday a.m. in Portland? Want to kill time ...have to be at Airport noon-ish and am staying in Salem previous night. Maybe just a sightsee drive???

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 10:47 AM
onamission

Church?

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Sarah

You could drive up to Washington Park and view the rose gardens. I'm not sure what time the Japanese Gardens open, but that would be a great way to spend the morning if they are open early enough. While the stores would be closed, you could go have breakfast in the NW 23rd area and just wander down the street and do some window shopping.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 11:27 AM
John

If you get an early start in Salem, you might consider seeing a glimpse of the Columbia Gorge en route to the airport, head north on I-205 then east on I-84 to the Multnomah Falls exit, see the falls, then go back west on the old ("historic") highway to Troutdale, from which you can get to the airport in 15 minutes or so. Breakfast at either the falls or at McMeniman's Edgefield (between Troutdale and the airport) if there's time.

Plan B is to head into town and overwhelm your literary senses at Powell's book shop (shop my eye - try mall) or else, our fave, breakfast at Bread and Ink on Hawthorne Blvd. then window shopping along that street - way cool.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 08:46 AM
Traveller

There's a new Chinese Garden in Chinatown (just north of Burnside near the river) that's supposed to be pretty cool. Rose gardens and Japanese gardens are great, Oregon zoo is getting better all the time. East of Salem in Silverton is the new Oregon Garden - way cool!

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 09:25 AM
mary

Papa Heydens on 23rd street has puts on a great brunch, so does the Heathman Hotel. Both are in downtown Portland.