Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Portland Maine area? Where to stay, eat, play?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 1998, 09:41 PM
Paula

My hubby has a seminar in Portland, Maine August 27 -29. We will be there with our two daughters ages, 15 months and 3 years. Should we stay in Portland with him? Would we be better situated on the beach, letting him commute to his seminar? If so, which beach? I would like a child-friendly environment, safe, fun, and EASY! I don't want to drive anywhere if possible!
What is there to do in Portland with two small girls. The seminar is at the Holiday Inn by the bay. Is that a good location for us?
How about restaurant, accommodation and activity suggestions either on the beach or in Portland!
Thanks!

Old Jul 23rd, 1998, 12:13 PM
Beth

Street & Co. is a wonderful seafood restaurant in Portland. It is downtown near the other bars and restaurants and has great seafood - small with lots of garlic!!! Don't know of many hotels in Portland. We stayed in Kennebunkport and it was great! The weather should be delightful in August! Lots of neat shops in Kennebunk, but don't know if your children would enjoy that. There are also lots of quaint shops in Portland.

Old Jul 23rd, 1998, 12:16 PM
Beth

I forgot to mention the outlet malls in Freeport, Maine - really fun and some pretty good bargains, too. It's probably about 1 hour drive from Portland. We also enjoyed driving up the coast to Bar Harbor and stopping along the way!

Old Jul 23rd, 1998, 01:35 PM
Betty

Ogunquit is pretty close to Portland and has a beautiful beach. Ocean temps in Maine are pretty cold for kids, but when the tide is in a "river" is formed behind a sand bar on the beach, and the kids love to splash around in the warmer shallow water. There is no wave action in the "river" either. There are a lot of motels, B&B's and lovely hotels there - they tend to get crowded, so start making reservations! Ogun. also has lots of shops, art galleries, summer theater & you'll see your love, (and mine) sailboats!

Old Jul 23rd, 1998, 05:57 PM
Pam

I'm a Maine native and live about 1/2 hour north of Portland. I'm rabidly biased, as I love this state. Keeping that in mind...
The Holiday Inn will be perfect for getting around easily in Portland. I suggest D'Millo's Waterfront Restaurant, which is a converted lovely boat that serves the irresistable and obligatory lobster, as well as great prime rib and burgers. I think your kids will love it. D'Millo's is in the Old Port, which is full of artsy, intriguing shops (see Nancy Margolis Gallery, Abacus, many others), but your 3-year-old will need to see a beach. Ask anyone in town, they'll send you to Higgins Beach or any of many in the area. (Or take a ride South to the famous Old Orchard Beach, but be prepared, it's very touristy. However, there are amusement rides and a truly beautiful beach). Try one of the harbor cruises, both day and evening, along the Portland waterfront. The Children's Museum is next to the Portland Museum of Art, so you'll all have fun at both places.
A ride south to Ogunquit or York Harbor will bring you to pretty coastal villages where picture-taking is a must.
I hope you enjoy your stay, and come back to see the rest of our fantastic state. Try us in Autumn, too, that's my favorite time.
Have fun.