Portland B&B

Old Aug 24th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portland B&B

I am looking for a clean, safe, comfortable, small B&B for Feb 2010. I want to fly in to Portland and rent a car to Seattle so can go outside the city if necessary. Thanks.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 01:48 AM

Hello wiself, this B&B may not be what you have in mind but I am posting the website just in case...

I personally have not stayed at this B&B but I have had several family members that have and they have always returned many times and have always raved about this B&B.

http://www.portlandswhitehouse.com/
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 04:06 AM

Please note that not all places do or can take a reservation this far out. My b&b software only handles one year of bookings, and I personally would not feel comfortable taking one this far into the future...just a FYI.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 11:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the recommendation, LoveItaly.
Yes, I know it is too early to book but I wanted to have my options ready when the time came. I have decided to use Amtrak instead of driving to Seattle from emails with some B&Bs. I want to attend the Winter Olympics in Vancouver so need to plan for there and back-plan for Portland and Seattle.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 06:01 AM

Check out Northrup Station, not a B&B but located in a great neighborhood with breakfast and free parking: http://www.northrupstation.com/
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:40 AM

Karen Brown's travel books have the best references generally for small inns and bed and breakfasts.
I have used her books to travel for many years and find her recommendations pretty good.

She recommends the following places (Charming Inns) in Portland:
1. Heron Haus B&B (but, I'm not sure if the owner is still operating the B&B)
2. Lion & the Rose Victorian B&B Inn (I think they've had a new owner recently)
3. Portland's White House B&B
4. The Benson
5. The Governor Hotel
6. The Heathman

You might want to check these out in addition to what others recommend.
The overall favorite of posters is the Fifth Avenue Suites. My sister and daughter's in laws have stayed there and loved it.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:01 AM

nanabee--Beachbum stayed at one of those B&B's...I think it was the Heron Haus. Hopefully he will see this and comment. We had an event in downtown in the fall and stayed at the Heathman because the Monaco (used to be the 5th ave suites) was full. The Heathman was definitely resting on its laurels (sp?)! Always had great stays at the Monaco though.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:03 AM

We just stayed at the Benson this past Thurs. night. Very nice hotel with a gorgeous lobby, our room was 834 which was an Executive Jr. Suite, spacious and elegant. We walked to the Bijou Cafe for breakfast and took a cab to Andina for dinner.

We have also stayed at The Heathman in the Symphony Suite, this is also a great choice for downtown lodging in Portland. Check out the POVA website for good deals that include parking and breakfast. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:06 AM

I stayed in Heron Haus last year; the owner was trying to sell it at that time. If she did, and the new owner is still operating it as a B&B, I'd look at it as a plus. Nice place, good location, but something was missing from an operational standpoint.

The B&B that's most often recommended around here is Lion and the Rose. Also a beautiful building in a good location, but I have no personal experience there.

Benson, Governor, and Heathman are not B&B's, though nice hotels. And Fifth Avenue Suites is now Hotel Monaco; still probably the most often recommended accommodations in town.

Edit.... I see we're posting on top of eachother again, mms. We've got to stop meeting like this. ;-)

And kimamom, how would you compare Heathman vs. Benson?
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM

Kim--Like I said, our visit in the fall was not up to par at all. Seems they are resting on their reputation from long ago, like when you stayed there.

beachbum--LOL!