Portland and Wine Country??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of taking a trip in October to Portland and would like to see some of the surrounding wine country.

Is this doable - to drive to the wine country from Portland on a day trip?

How big is this area - I think it is the Willamette Valley? Anything else of note to see in this area?

From pictures I have seen, it looks like beautiful country.

Would one week be enough to see the are (including Portland)?
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 06:46 AM

I think I remember that it took us 4 hours to drive from Ashland Or. to Portland. So you could probably see some of it in a day trip, but it would mean a lot of driving...
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 06:50 AM

With a week, yes, visiting our wine country is definitely doable. The wine country is only about 45 minutes from downtown Portland. The only other thing in that area would be the Evergreen Aviation Museum, which is in the heart of it, and quite interesting. If you want to do this as well as the wineries, you might stay just one night down there.

To see the area around Portland, it can be done in a hurry in a week, but I guarantee you will be itching for more time. The Columbia River Gorge and our coast are must sees. Both are easy day trips though.

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 06:59 PM

We have gone to the wine country from Seaside on a day trip, yes it is very doable. Don't miss Archery Summit, Domaine Serene, Domaine Drouhin, Sokol Blosser, Torii Mor and Ponzi for amazing Pinot Noir. We like the Joel Palmer House, Tina's and the Dundee Bistro for good meals. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 08:21 AM

That is enough time to get a good taste of Portland and the area.

Us Oregonians often take day trips to the wine country, to the beach, to Mt. Hood and to The Gorge.

What are your interests? Knowing that will help us suggest things to see/do.

Cheers!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:49 PM

I'd add WillaKenzie Estate and Penner Ash to the list - both lovely tasting rooms and delicious wines.

I also just discovered a u-pick kiwi farm in the Dundee area - October is supposed to be prime picking time. It's run on the honor system, so the owner doesn't have to be around - you can just pick what you want (either the grape-like mini kiwis or the traditional ones), weigh them, and leave the appropriate cash in the box. It was VERY cool.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 03:59 PM

I would also check out Carlton, there is the Winemaker's Studio there where you can sample several wines in one place. Also, don't miss tasting at the Scott Paul tasting room pretty close to the Winemaker's Studio, he makes a Pinot Noir that I really enjoyed called "Audrey" that was amazing! ***kim***
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 08:23 AM

We are in the early stages of planning a trip to Oregon this summer. The plan would be to fly into Portland and drive over to part of the wine country area of Yamhill Valley, staying at the Black Walnut Inn in Dundee for 2 days then continuing on towards the coast to Depoe Bay for 2 days at the Channel House Inn and then to Newport for a day staying a the Elizabeth Street Inn. We have already seen Portland/Seattle area on a previous trip but never ventured further down into Oregon. Would love to hear from others who have been to these areas and also would love to know a route back up to Portland that would not involve driving back up the coast. Should we venture down to Florence and then cross over to Eugene and drive up I-5? or just cross over from Newport to Salem and head back to Portland? I guess my question is: Are Florence and Eugene worth the drive or will we be better off just to go through Corvallis and Salem back to Portland? We love to see little towns and great scenery along the way. Also would love restaurant suggestions for Depoe Bay and Newport as well as McMinnville/Dundee area. THANKS!!!!

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:07 AM

If you don't want to drive back up the coast, the drive up 99W from Corvallis up to Sherwood is full of small towns. From Sherwood, cut back over to I-5 as from there north on 99W is a nightmare. Since you will have already been in the Dundee area, it might not be what you want, but it is either that or I-5, which is really boring. I would do the 99W drive myself. I am in McMinnville usually a couple times a week...what are you looking for in restaurants and what do you like to do?
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:28 AM

I have driven 99W north from Sherwood to Portland many times at different times of the day. Yes it can be busy especially at rush hour, but Tualatin-Sherwood Road (cut-over to I-5) is also quite slow at times, especially when it is two lane (one lane per direction) and you get behind a slow truck. I don't think 99W is really as bad as it sometimes seems actually.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 10:10 AM

Andrew--I am on Tualatin Sherwood road every day several times, so know the timing with the trucks, lol! Going from Sherwood to I-5 isn't bad at all except for morning rush hour and then again from about 10:15 to 1pm. After that is is easy.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:00 AM

Not to upset the applecart, Allison, but are there particular reasons you've allocated the nights as you have? I think you'll regret having only one night in Newport; much more to see and do there than Depoe Bay. And the scenery between Newport and Florence is some of the best on the coast, so you won't want to miss that either. Maybe even consider a night in Yachats at the Overleaf Lodge: http://www.overleaflodge.com/. Give up a night at Black Walnut if you have to.

Then, for that drive back to Portland, how about heading south to Reedsport and taking hwy 38; it's easily my favorite route between I-5 and the coast. It's 3 - 3.5 hours from Reedsport back to Portland.

Can't help much with restaurant suggestions at the coast, unless you're up for the original Mo's in Newport. But, in wine country, Dundee Bistro, Tina's, Joel Palmer House (Dayton), and Painted Lady (Newberg) are all good. What's good in McMinnville, mms?
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 12:30 PM

McMinnville actually has quite a bit for restaurants. Depends on what one is looking for. Wildwood Cafe is a must for breakfast though. Alf's for ice cream (made on site) and to see the pet monkey, Elvis. La Rambla for tapas. Red Foxx Bakery for breads/sandwiches. The Cornerstone for coffee/smoothies/sandwiches. Bistro Maison for fine French dining. Nick's for fine Italian dining. Luigis Daughter for casual Italian. Orchards Bistro, which shares space with Honest Chocolates (very good). McMenamins for casual burger/fish&chips/beer. Most of these are all located on 3rd avenue...Wildwood is on Baker (99W) but at 3rd. Alf's is further south on 99W just past the Linfield campus. There are also several tasting rooms in this area, so you can try several wineries at once.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:35 PM

Thank you - see my full reply under "Summer trip to Oregon" thread.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:20 PM

I must reply to this as we have just returned from a week in Oregon. We first visited friends on the coast in Pacfic City who are on the ocean for 2 days and toured the area, check out the Blue Heron Cheese Creamery. Drove over to Dundee in the AM checked into Black Walnut Inn "Vista" was our room and the breakfasts was great. They could not be more helpful. Loved several wineries in the area, Anne Amie, Torii Moi were our favoites but must say check on hours because Domaine Serene and Domaine Drouhin were both close very dissappointed heard good things. Lange and Argyle were not my top choices. Lunch at Dundee Bistro and dinner at Tina's great, great. Drove 99W up to Hood River and stayed at Skamania Lodge, (okay) but just wanted to check out that part of the water falls and locks. Went into Portland and stayed at the Westin, okay, good location ate at 2 locations Paley's wonderful and Higgin's also wonderful. Another tip was SpringHill Suites near the airport as a great hotel either going or coming if flying. Do wish I would have had time to make it to Bend and that area which I hear is a must but will have to be on my next trip back.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:57 PM

jlsayer, so glad that you enjoyed your trip! It sounds pretty darn good lol..Black Walnut Inn then Paleys and Higgins, you hit some highlights
What was wrong with the Westin? Just curious, I won't recommend it if it is something awful .. I notice that some people will recommend a place they have stayed in or had eaten in, years ago and have no idea of what things are like now- so I like to keep on top of what I recommend.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:06 PM

Glad you enjoyed Tina's in Dundee, we had a nice lunch there last summer before wine tasting. If you're ever back in the area, the Joel Palmer House for dinner was also excellent for us! ***kim***
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:09 PM

kimamom , did you read where mms and I had lunch yesterday at your old fave, Wildwood? Yeah, it was great as usual, someday, when you are back visiting Oregon, you will have to go there again. This time your daughter won't have to stay out in the car, I bet she will like it too
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:10 AM

Scarlett, not to go into all things but will responding quickly to the Westin. We were on 1/2 spg points and paid. Checking out they messed up the billing had to wait till a manage could straighten it out, and while my husband I were watching games and getting a few things packed they wanted to steam clean our furniture. Only will take a couple of hours to dry!!! Couldn't believe they didn't check with the front dest for unocupied rooms or even a phone call ahead. We were in a junior suite. Staff was friendly and enjoyed the location. The room itself was nicely updated for a older hotel but could have used a table for breakfast and room service.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Hi jlsayer...that is really too bad! Very unprofessional. I hope you wrote to the General Manager and made your complaint.
Thanks for telling us here though : )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -