Polynesian Cultural Center

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2003, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you recommend this for honeymooners in their late 20's?? I was told by a travel agent that this is more for older tourists and we wouldn't enjoy it. What is it all about and did you guys enjoy it/hate it?
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 06:44 AM

We went there in September. We are in our late 20s, and we really enjoyed it. I don't know why people say negative things about it. It was a lot of fun, and memorable. It is educational, you learn about the different polynesian cultures... stuff you normally wouldn't know about, but I picked up just from being there. They have all these cool shows and exhibits. They have one big show at the end of the night. It is all run by students from Bingham Young University. The energy of the place is amazing, and the students are incredible... practically professional. I'd recommend it. It was a lot of fun! Go early. We went late, and missed a lot of exhibits/shows, which I regret.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 06:47 AM
ltt

i went in my 20's and enjoyed it.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 05:22 AM

We went too last year ( 27 ) and LOVED it. . . I was skeptical too from hearing negative things about it . . . BUT it was like a Polynesian Disneyland. DEFINITELY pay the highest tix price to have the guide get you around to everything it was SOO worth it otherwise you spend half the time walking around trying to find the next activity instead of just following a guide that maximizes your ability to catch all the special shows ( making hair wreaths, banging on the tonga drums, getting tatooed! ) it was a blast really! : )
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 05:51 AM

Stay for the evening show. It was awesome. A great place, in my opinion. Like others here I was pretty skeptical that I would like it - but I did.

Ken
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:14 AM

Go early,stay late.Definitely get the guided tour.I went for the first time when I was right out of college.I was stoked! it was just all so amazing.There was a couple on the plane going over telling us how the Mormon Church "supposedly" used that as a means to get new members.Wrong!!I dont hink I would have known anything about who ran the place if they hadnt told me.And I cant think of learning so much about culture and history in such a short time.My vote--GO !!!!!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:42 AM

My husband and I are in our late twenties and I'm sorry, I have to disagree. Although the PCC is very well done, and pretty, I was bored until the night show. The night show was exciting, but after touring the villages, I couldn't wait for it to start. I can see how it's definitely for older tourists, truly. We did the luau and it was hokey. Although the food was good, I thought the performances were more like a school pageant than a professional production. I reiterate that the place is very well done if you're into that kind of thing, but touring exhibits just isn't our thing.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your responses - seems like not a single person said it was bad!! We will definitely make plans on spending a day there! Thanks again.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:37 AM

we are going to PCC in May. Already have tickets, etc. The bus is picking us up at our hotel and will bring us back. does this include the "personal tour" that you are taking about? I wondered too how to see it all in 1 day (which is all we have for this). Or do we have to sign up for the personal tour after we get there?
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:43 AM

The exhuberance and spirit shown by the student performers are awesome. We found it just as professional as any show in Waikiki, and with a lot more youthful joy and innocence. The daytime activities are just as good as the night show, but you have to be willing to get involved. Have your face painted with a temporary tattoo in Marquesas or New Zealand. Try the spear toss in Tonga. You can hula in Hawaii. Don't miss Samoa, where they start fire with bare sticks. I think you can upgrade your tickets and get a personal guide when you arrive. I recommend the Ambassador small group package - it also gives you better seats for the night show. The luau was a little cheesy, but, overall, the day spent there was one of our best on our vacation.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 10:03 AM

Although in our 40's the Polynesian Cultural Center was enjoyable, but yes you do need to enjoy looking at exhibits and somewhat corny mini-shows at each "island" location. It is sort of a mini-epcot center type of experience. The evening show was enjoyable, absolutely.

But you have to enjoy the museum aspects of it and the native shows, which we did -- it is basically your preference.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 11:14 AM

I was there in 96, so the park may have changed and you should temper my remarks with what others have said. I do feel a bit guilty doging the place when I have not been back to see if it has changed. I do see a lot of people who are so sold on it on this website. But here goes.

I had the problem that by its name "Polynesian Cultural Center" I expected it to be a more sophisticated look at the Polynesian societies. I saw them take comic license with rituals and practises that were sacred in the cultures they were drawn from. I thought this showed a lack of respect. I also agree with the above post, waiting for the evening show was very boring. The food was poor, similar to what you might find at a cafateria somewhere. The evening show was more of a Las Vegas review than a way of show- casing Polynesian culture. Elvis's blue Hawaii was the grand finali and the last straw for my guest. My British friend shook her head at this and then pointed out other Europeans leaving the show. I had to keep telling her it was a theme park and we had different standards for cultural centers in US

I feel that what I saw at that time at Waimea Falls Park, the Bishop Museum and Iolani Palace was a far richer experience and gave me a greater sense of Hawaiian and Pacific Cultures. Again this was a while ago lets hope the park is different now.

Just think PCC should bill itself as a family theme park and then there is no room for confusion.
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 06:35 PM

I tend to agree with your travel agent. We were just there (we're in our late 20's) and found it to be boring, even though the grounds are nice. There just isn't much to do there and it's run by a bunch of wild-eyed Mormons (no regular Coke!!) and it's full of tour groups of old people. My recommendation: skip it and spend the day at Waimea Falls Park.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 03:02 PM

Different strokes.... My wife and I went there over 20 years ago on our Honeymoon - ealry 20's. Had a great time. Good pictures of me doing the hula in a grass skirt :~)

We went back 3 years ago with my granddaughter - still had a good time. The food is OK and yes it is not a museum, but it can be a lot of fun if you go with the right frame of mind. Since is doesn't open until 12:30, I think, and dinner starts around 5:00 or so, there really isn't that much time to see everything.

We will probably go back when we visit in May. For the price you can't beat it - it's the price of a regular luau.

Duane
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 03:48 PM

Well, guess Iam in the minority because I was not impressed. I was there just last week. I was on my 30th or so trip to Oahu and had never been to the PCC. I was alone and had some time to kill during my drive around Oahu while husband was on business. So I went. For me, it was a total bore. I only lasted about an hour and could not imagine using precious vacation time at the PCC.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 03:29 AM

The best things in Hawaii are free. If you are a person who generally enjoys paid attractions then you will probably enjoy the PCC. I went once and while it was OK I will not go back.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 06:45 AM

I work for travel company in Honolulu that gives tour on Oahu island. Our guests are Japanese and Western and they rate the PCC activity as highest satisfaction among all Oahu activities they participate in.

Each island presentation is staffed by native of that culture. If you go the best parts of PCC are Samoan fireknife dance, Tongan drums, Alii Luau, and big night show. Going by self is not recommended because guide can help interpret and explain culture and make better visit.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 11:24 AM

Just curious Tanuechi where are they going that this is the favorite site on the itinerary?

A lot of people find Pearl Harbor the most moving experience on the islands. Ask them what Hawaiian historical sights they visited and you get a blank stare. Just curious.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 04:16 AM

I can help answer Sarah's question to Taneuchi. The Honolulu Advertiser recently ran an article on the activities of tourists and what they enjoyed most.

Based on interviews at the Honolulu airport with several thousand departing tourists the three most visited attractions had been the Arizona Memorial (33%), Polynesian Cultural Center (31%), and Hanauma Bay (28%).

There were around thirty activities and attractions listed. They also ranked visitor satisfaction levels and the PCC received the highest satisfaction score. I don't remember how other activities scored, but I think the hike to the top of Diamond Head and the Arizona Memorial ranked in the top five in overall satisfaction.

Old Mar 18th, 2003, 04:29 AM

yeah but Helen I think if you asked those same people how they liked Iolani Palace, Byodo Temple or the heau out out on the North Shore I don't think you would get response. You might get a question like what is that? Just a guess I don't know it is just what people tell me when I suggest sights on Oahu. They leave without any understanding of the people the made Hawaii. I don't know I just think that is a loss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -