Polynesia Cafe Banana Cream Pie Recipe

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was obsessed with trying to figure out the recipe for Banana Cream Pie I had at Polynesia Cafe last year. It was so delicious. Had a coconut flavor as well as fresh bananas. Thought maybe there was coconut milk in the filling. I even wrote to Hawaii Magazine to see if they could get the recipe for me. THEY DID and here it is (now if I just didn't know how many calories are in it!):

http://tinyurl.com/2cjm4lo

(I was even quoted in the article)

Polynesia Cafe Banana Cream Pie

Ingredients:

1 baked pie shell – recipe below
3 cups whole milk
3/4 cup white sugar
3 tbsp. white flour
3 tbsp. corn starch
1/4 tsp. salt
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 tsp. vanilla
2 to 3 bananas

First, for the coconut macadamia nut pie crust:

In a food processor blend 1 cup of macadamia nut pieces with ¼ cup sugar to the consistency of chunky peanut butter.

In a bowl combine the nut mixture with 1 cup shredded coconut until well mixed.

Press mixture evenly into pie pan. Lightly press aluminum foil over the crust to help hold the shape while baking. You may wish to fill the foil with pie weights or pinto beans to help maintain shape.

Bake at 325 for 15 minutes. Let cool.

Now, for the filling:

In a large saucepan, heat 2 1/3 cups of the milk to 190 degrees F.

In a bowl combine the sugar, flour, salt and cornstarch. Gradually stir in the remaining 2/3 cup of milk—start by incorporating a little milk to make a paste, then thinning out the paste with the remaining milk. If you do this gradually, you will not have any lumps in the liquid.

Stirring the saucepan of milk constantly, gradually add the contents of the bowl to the heated milk and cook until it thickens. The stirring motion should insure the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pot.

Once the mixture is thickened, lower the heat and it cook for another minute or two while you follow the instructions below for incorporating the egg yolks into the mixture.

With the 3 slightly beaten egg yolks in a bowl, stir rapidly as you gradually pour small amounts of the hot mixture from the pot into the yolks. Be careful not to add too much too fast; you want to avoid scrambled egg yolks.

Once you’ve added about a cup of the hot liquid, the tempered egg yolks can be stirred into the hot pudding mixture in the pot. Cook for about a minute longer. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.

Completely cover the bottom of the pie shell with sliced banana pieces then pour the hot pudding mixture into the shell. Let cool to room temperature before serving.

If refrigerating, wait until you can comfortably hold the palm of your hand against the bottom of the pie pan before placing into the refrigerator.

Polynesia Cafe is located at 5-5190 Kuhio Highway in Hanalei, Kauai; (808) 826-1999; www.polynesiacafe.com
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:47 AM

Thanks, sounds yummy!!!
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:30 PM

thanks for sharing. I may try it this weekend.
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

I made the pie but I think it has way too much milk in the filling. Better check a regular banana cream pie recipe for porportions.

The crust was FABULOUS though. Cook it for 15 minutes with the foil on then remove. If it isn't at all brown, put back in the oven and watch VERY carefully because it burns in a second. Just love the crust by itself.
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:02 PM

Ronda, did you use 3 Tbsp. each of flour and cornstarch? It seems as if that would thicken 3 cups of milk. I'm asking because I thought I would try this recipe soon.