Search

Poke in Waikiki?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poke in Waikiki?

We are a week away from heading to Hawaii for dd's soccer tournament. We are staying at Hilton Hawaiian Village. It will be me and my three teens. We will have a small fridge and would love to buy some fresh poke while we are there. Can anyone give me a good place? I know the superette out past Turtle Bay is great, but I was wondering if there is anything closer to town.

Any other suggestions for low cost dining would be great!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:32 AM

Not sure if it's still there, but there was a sort of "Farmer's Market" in the Ward area that consisted of a bunch of small stalls, several of them being fish markets. A friend's family used to own one of the markets (they sold several years ago) and that was always my go to place for opihi.

I usually go to Marujyu Market in Aiea for poke, but that's a little out of the way for you, I think.

Surprisingly enough, the poke is pretty good at the supermarkets like Times, Safeway and Foodland.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:42 AM

Safeway- their shoyu poke is great! There is a new safeway on kapahulu Ave. Go to the Diamond head end of Waikiki and turn up just before the park. Safeway is about 4 blocks up on the left. (and right near there is Ono's Hawaiian food, if you want full on Hwn food at a very casual restaurant. get there early to avoid the line))

There is a Foodland at Ala Moana Center, and their poke is good too.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 10:25 AM

Don Quixote (formerly Daiei) near Ala Moana has some greeat poke. My favorite is the wasabi poke (not too wasabi-ish, just enough to give it a little something extra). The prices are reasonable as well.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 11:55 AM

All good suggestions! Also if you know your way around a bit, specialty stores like Yama's Fish Market, Tamashiro Market, and the Poke Stop are excellent. But for the most part, I just go to Don Quixote, Safeway, or Foodland.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Food Pantry grocery store on Kuhio has it in the fresh fish section.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:45 PM

Not having a clue what "Poke" is, I expected this post to be something quite rude about Hawaii.

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM

Poke (po-keh)is made of chunks of seasoned raw fish- usually wih salt, kukui oil, seaweed, and soy sauce. Best eaten with chopsticks and beer.

Like salsa, BBQ sauce, or potato salad, there are endless variations. There is actually a poke festival at one of the Big Island hotels where people compete for the "best poke" award.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Mahalo, everyone!

The Safeway in Lahaina has great poke, so I'm glad to know it is the same on the other islands. I will print this out and take it with me when I go.

I love wasabi poke, and we eat it on chips, maui-style ones, if we can find them!

Ono's was on my list of places for us to eat, as well. My boys will be on their own much of the day as I will be out at Waipio for soccer games. I'm glad to have places I can send them.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 02:50 PM

It's "RAW" fish"?!

OMG!

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 03:37 PM

Tanioka's on Farrington Highway in Waipahu has good poke. Likewise the previously mentioned Tamashiro Fish Market.

nukesafe, poke and cold beer is absolutely delicious.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 03:56 PM

Gyotaku restaurant on King Street has a pupu called "Natto-chos" and "poke-chos." Basically it's won ton pi fried crisp like chips. Then it's topped with natto, poke, yamaimo, daikon sprouts, diced onion, and diced avocado. The Poke-chos are the same but without natto. Yum yum.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 04:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
nufesake~ You don't know what you're missing! It's DELISH!!!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 05:44 PM

Well, if I had the choice of the kind of "poke" I might get in Waikiki I sure as hell would not take the raw fish variety.

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 06:00 PM
Kal

Nuthin' better than a good poke.

Thought I died and went to heaven the first time I had it one Kauai.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:32 AM

And let me just add that the new Safeway on Kapahulu is fantastic and a destination in itself.

We couldn't get over the friendliness of all the staff there: I can't count the number of times staff approached us and asked if they could help us in any way. You don't expect that in a supermarket, but it happened there.

This isn't to mention their huge range of products at the bakery, the nut and "make your own nut-butter" bar, etc. etc.

We even popped into the in-store Starbucks for a quick coffee to combat the jet lag!

Granted, I moved to Australia from California about 15 years ago, so maybe I'm a little out of touch with supermarkets in the US, but this one is spectacular.

Also, in addition to Ono Foods, don't forget to go a couple blocks past the Kapahulu Safeway on the other side of the road for some fantastic Lenards Malasadas! The special when we were there in May was Mango Custard filled. YUMMM!
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 05:35 AM

Please make sure the little fridge gets cold enough to keep the poke safe to eat.
I always request a fridge (or use the one in the room) and I would guess that roughly 3/4 of them do not cool adequately for food preservation. They are fine for shelf stable items, but nothing perishable.
Raw fish can been very dangerous if not prepared in the ideal environment.
Most is NOT but we don't get sick because we eat it shortly after it is exposed to bacteria. Every minute it sits after preparation, bacteria builds (ever under refrigeration) and compounding that with a fridge that does not keep it cold enough... well lets just say that it is hard to have fun in Hawaii with explosive diarrhea.
If this is something you really, really, want to do, be sure to take a little fridge thermometer. It takes no space at all in your luggage and you should have one at home anyway.
Test the temp of the fridge when you arrive.
Keep in mind that these tiny refrigerators lose most of their cool when you open them, so only open when necessary.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:15 AM

I thought you were talking about poke salad...
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:28 PM

Aloha,
I agree with a lot of the posts here you can find a variety of Poke at most larger (Safeway, Foodland, etc.) stores. I must admit that Don Quiote's (SP) makes some of the best IMO. As for cheap eats in Waikiki you can always order Pizza for the girls and have it delivered to the hotel (Pizza Hut etc). Ala Moana also has a food court with a wide variety of foods at fairly reasonable prices. Enjoy your trip!!
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:15 PM

try da wasabi poke, mmm mmmm so ono...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -