Search

Pointe South Mountain Resort/Phoenix Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pointe South Mountain Resort/Phoenix Trip Report

Hello all,
Hopefully this will help someone as I didn't find a lot of information about this resort before I left. My husband surprised me with a quick weekend getaway at this resort this past weekend. We had a great time and it was a welcome break from the Colorado cold!

We arrived at the hotel late Friday night and checked in. Everyone was very helpful and that was the norm the entire stay. The staff always said hello and greeted us with a smile. They were great. Our room was in East Pointe next to the Oasis water park. However, the rooms are far enough away that noise was not an issue. The room was nice with a separate sitting room and a nice balcony. As others mentioned, the sink for the bathroom is in the bedroom, which was a little strange. The towels were horrible and things were a little tired but overall it was a decent room. The style was very mediterranean, not southwest or desert style. The resort grounds were pretty with lots of fountains and flowers around. Each group of rooms has a pool and a spa and there is vending/ice on each floor. A nice feature when we checked out was the computer terminals set up solely for getting boarding passes. This was very convenient and much appreciated. They printed them for you free of charge.

This weekend was mainly for enjoying the sunshine and the outdoors and we certainly did that! Saturday we woke up and explored on our way to breakfast. We ate outside at the main restaurant. The breakfast was decent, nothing outstanding. They did have a nice buffet that my husband enjoyed. After breakfast, we played tennis, which we had reserved a few days ahead of time. It was so nice being out in the sunshine. After tennis we put our racquets away and went for a hike in the mountain preserve. There is one entrance on the resort grounds but once you get up toward one of the holes on the golf course, I suggest walking away from the homes and people. We found tons of trails going many different directions. The hike was gorgeous and we saw quail, birds, jackrabbits and ground squirrels. This was very beautiful, great exercise and we really enjoyed our two-hour hike.

After our hike, we had a late snack out by the water park in the sunshine. The onion rings and milk shake were very good but the chicken sandwich was terrible. We soaked up more sun and watched people enjoy the water park (it was about 70-75 degrees, not quite warm enough for us!). After lunch we walked in and took a short nap, then went to dinner at the mexican place on the grounds. It was decent food at decent prices, nothing fancy. After dinner we took a walk and relaxed in our room for the rest of the evening.

Sunday we woke up and had a light breakfast at the cafe in the lobby. This was good for some cereal, a bagel and some juice. Then we drove to the A's spring training facility. We were a week too early for games but we enjoyed watching the morning practice. After practice, we went to the Desert Botanical Gardens and really enjoyed ourselves. It was a great experience. After the garden we were hungry and were lucky enough to find an In and Out Burger! I was excited as I miss it from my time in California. After wondering what to do after lunch, we ventured back to the resort and just enjoyed some time by the pool in the sun with a good book.

For dinner Sunday, we met my husband's sister at a place called Caffe Boa off Eliott. It ended up being quite good and we enjoyed our meal. It is primarily pasta and also has great salads. It does have a full bar as well and was between $10-15 for most entrees.

We had a great weekend escape. I thought the Pointe was a nice place to stay and very convenient for our timeframe and the activities we wanted to do. We stayed in Scottsdale last summer and I preferred that for a true Southwest holiday away from the city but this resort was nice as well. This resort is right in the heart of the city, right off a main busy street (it only took about 10 minutes from the airport), but the mountain preserve allowed us to get away from the rush a little bit. I thought the staff at the resort was fantastic and the activities at the resort enabled us to relax and have plenty to do without leaving. The resort does charge a $16 resort fee per night for tennis, parking, newspaper (weekdays) and the water park. If you get a vacation package, you will still have to pay the resort fee. There were quite a few kids, especially with the water park, but the resort was not that crowded while we were there. The golf course looked nice but we didn't golf this trip.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks to everyone for their help before we left!
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the update. I have often thought this would be a good resort for my family if we make it out to Phoenix. Is the resort fee per person or per room?
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for reading, Bennnie. I think it would be a great family resort, especially when it gets warmer for the water park. The resort fee is per room, per night. Hope this helps!
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 11:35 AM

Funny how life works - I just found out that I have to go to Phoenix in 2 weeks. Maybe I'll get to check out the resort in person.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 12:20 PM

My family of four stayed here back in '94 in September.. of course, hotter than heck, but very nice to have the water park for recreation..

the lazy river with the innertubes is nice and water slides for kids.

There is a spa on the grounds and a good gym facility.

We went to Rawhide, and day trips to Sedona, then to Tucson to see the Pima air museum.. lots of activities,and Old Town in Scottsdale too.

Auntie Chiladas was the Mexican restaurant we had a nice outdoor dinner at(up the street, short walk) and an icy cold margarita or two