Search

plywood stress

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
plywood stress

having lots of freinds who live on the west coast of florida,It looks as if ivan will miss them,Thank god.One freind stood in line 2 hours at lowes for plywood.I suggested to him for the future cut plywood for each window and mark them,store them in the garage and if another warning is issued youll be prepared.It seems if everyone did this simple thing you wouldnt have this added stress.Seems like a no brainrer to me.P.S. be prepared=less stress.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 02:41 PM

When we moved into this house, we had some work done. That contractor came by last week with sub flooring plywood, 3/4 inch thick and screwed it onto our most vulnerable windows.
We will just unscrew it and keep it for the (please GOd no more) next one.
If I had the choice and the dollars, I would go out and order metal shutters.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 06:35 AM
GoTravel

Philly, that is what most people do however the west coast of Florida hasn't been vulnerable to hurricanes for many years so probably never even thought about boarding up. Also, if someone is a transplant outside a certain vulnerability zone, they are less likely to think about this.

Our plywood is marked (LR#1-9, etc) and with the names of each storm we've boarded (Bertha, Fran, Floyd, Dennis.....). We've had it at least 10-12 years.

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 06:57 AM

Funny you should bring this up. I'm very active with The Naples Players and do a lot of work with scene design and volunteer in the scene shop. After every major storm threat we fortunately get lots of calls of people willing to give us their plywood. It seems that with the limited sized garages (or none at all) that many people have here, storing the plywood for the next possible storm doesn't seem like a logical option. I can't tell you how many times we've built scenery and painted over things like "REAR PATIO DOORS" painted on them.

Our technical director was just mentioning a few days ago that we should soon be rebuilding our supply of "semi-used" plywood.

Incidentally this is the first time many have boarded up here since Andrew which was 12 years ago. That is a long time to try to store those plywood panels in a small garage -- especially since plywood tends to warp dramatically in our humidity.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 07:51 AM

The latest thing is "plyclips". For each window, the plywood is cut to the size of the inside window frame, edge to edge. The clips go on the windows and exert pressure outward somehow and this keeps the plywood in place. As I understand it, there is no need then to drill into the actual house.

I have heard mixed thoughts about putting plywood over the windows, or glass doors. If not attached securely the plywood becomes a missile during the high winds of a hurricane.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 08:21 AM
jor

Two months ago I talked to a home building contractor in Minnesota who told me that the price of 4X8 steets of plywood had sky rocketed and it was hard to find. I bet that there will be even higher prices in Florida now and a nation wide shortage.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 08:30 AM

We have accordian style metal shutters. Best investment ever made. You don't really notice them on the house when they are open, but when a storm starts raging, we close 'em up in about three minutes. Voila!
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 12:33 PM

One note about the automatic shutters: you can't raise them while the power is off.

This happened to friends of ours. They had to spend three days in an unventilated, dark house until the power came back on and they could raise the shutters.

Is there such a thing as (practical) manual shutters?
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 12:38 PM

Your friends got "taken". No power shutters sold in Florida should ever not have a manual control as well. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, it is now a law. It would be an incredible safety risk in the event of fire as well.
Are you sure they just didn't know how to do it?
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 12:43 PM

What ever happened to the old fashioned wooden shutters that were used as originally intended--to be able to SHUT quickly, secure and provide protection from storms?

Statia--
Can you tell me a little more about your accordian shutters? I've seen the kind on the tracks that you only put up for a storm because they are very unattractive. We're getting ready to remodel a house and this hurricane season has convinced me that we are going to take care of this NOW. However, we don't want to spend more on shutters than on the remodel!!
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 02:25 PM

Ours are not powered at all. We pull them manually. I agree that shutters that are powered would be a great safety risk.

I've also seen here on the island where really tight "roll down" shutters have made a house literally implode with the pressure of a strong hurricane because no air could get into the house. We always crack one window on each end of our house during a hurricane, and our shutters leave room for the home to "breathe" while still protecting the doors and windows.

Below are some links to the type that we have. As you can see, you honestly don't notice them when they are not closed, especially if they match your paint, which in our case is white. You pull them shut very easily and they even lock, if you need extra protection when you are away from home.

http://www.nucodeshutters.com/accordion_shutters.htm

http://www.stormprotectionsystems.com/accordion.htm

http://www.completehurricaneprotecti...accordions.htm

http://www.caribbeanshutters.com/accordian.htm

I'll warn you, they aren't cheap, but are honestly worth every penny in the long run because they seem to last forever. We've had ours nearly 11 years with absolutely no maintenance.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 02:33 PM

I heard on the news today that Florida Home Depots actually lowered their price of plywood to help Florida residents prepare for hurricanes.

Very nice.

I remember when lumber went up dramatically, nationwide, after Andrew. I don't think it ever came back down.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 03:47 PM

Hurricane shutters are big business in Florida and they come in all types and at all costs.

But I'm still trying to imagine anyone dumb enough to buy some (if such things are even made) that can't be opened or closed in a power failure. Talk about not having a light bulb in the attic!
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 05:25 PM

Thanks for information Statia. I've always been told to leave a couple of windows cracked for the reason you state. However, during the 24-hour coverage here of Charley, then Frances, they kept telling people NOT to do that. They said it could allow the wind to invade your home to the point it could compromise the roof. I sure would like to know the answer to this one.

A friend looked into those roll-down shutters after Charley; the estimate to do her entire house was $41,000. When I asked her what they would do should they not be able to open them after the storm she just stared at me blankly. Guess that hadn't occured to her!
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 05:17 AM

Jayne, regarding the cracking of windows for the house to breathe, I have even cracked windows here in a category five hurricane, so I would do it in any size storm, regardless.

I have to admit, however, that we build differently down here than most places in the US, so that could also make a difference in the possibility of compromising the roof. My roof consists of four inch wide beams all the way across with each beam being secured with hurricane brackets on the outside. I've never had a problem thus far (knock on wood).
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 05:33 AM
GoTravel

Jayne, have you thought about getting together with your neighborhood or neighbors for a group discount?

My husband is seriously looking into getting the shutters done on his restaurants and is getting a large discount for multiples.

Also, and I hate to say this, they may be cheaper if you wait until late next spring.

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 09:36 AM

I would have thought that anyone living in FL for more than a few years would have thought of hurricane protection and been proactive about it. However, maybe since so many people have relocated there in recent years and it has been quite a while since a big hurricane threatened, people are not prepared.

The equivalent in the north is when snow is predicted, every store gets sold out of snow shovels quickly - I think people do not understand tyhat snow shovels are not disposable items and most keep them from year to year.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 09:45 AM

Spending anywhere from $10,000 to $50,000 for hurricane shutters on your house which you may or may not ever use is not as easy a decision as it may seem. I've lived in Florida for 30 years and have never boarded up or had hurricane shutters, and have never had any hurricane damage (other than some minor exterior damage). It's easy to say "why don't you just buy the hurricane shutters" if you don't have to pay for them. Yes, gail, I've thought about them, but have decided to remain non "proactive".
I know many people who have thought about "old aged" or "nursing home" insurance and have remained non proactive on that issue as well. Let's face it we are all more likely to get old than we are to suffer major damage from a hurricane. It's all a matter of priorities, and sure, a gamble as well.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 10:23 AM
GoTravel

Right there with you Patrick. I could put in a serious pool and landscaping for that amount.

I've noticed almost every highrise condo building between South Beach and the Stuart area on AIA has hurricane shutters. Looks like they were built in with the buildings.

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 10:29 AM

I agree with Patrick and Go Travel on the expense of hurricane shutters not being a priority for many people in the US when the odds can be slim. Where I live it's kind of a necessity, however, since I'm in the hurricane belt and typically get some sort of yearly hurricane activity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -