Please review are Californian honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a load of advice from different sources this is the itinerary for are honeymoon, August 21st to September 11th…………….
3 nights San Francisco, Andrews hotel…………….
2 nights Yosemite, Miners inn…………..
1 night Stovepipe wells, Deathvalley…………
3 nights Las Vegas, nothing booked…………..
2 nights San Diego, nothing booked………….
3 nights Laguna Beach, Laguna Riviera…………..
3 nights Pismo Beach, Kon Tiki………………
1 night Monterery, nothing booked…………..
1 night San Fran, airport hotel for early morning flight.
What do we think?
Thanks in advance, Allan & Louise
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 11:45 AM

Congrats on the wedding!

From my perspective, it seems like an awful lot of time in the car, especially for a honeymoon. This is the hottest time of the year in California...Las Vegas will be blazing hot as well. I'd suggest starting in SF and driving leisurely down the coast, flying out of San Diego.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Although we are spending a lot of time in the car, we both love driving and want to see as much as we can. Here in England we can go coast to coast in 4 hours so it'll be strange drving that long and not getting very far on the map!
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 12:38 PM

Why are you staying three nights in Pismo Beach? I happily live here, but I can't figure out why you would skip Santa Barbara and stay here? Share a bit more and hopefully we can all help you make the best use of your travel time!
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Plan to stay in Pismo beach only because it looks a lovely place and the Kon Tiki looks such a lovely hotel!
Basically we would like somewhere to chill and do nothing after a long 2-week road trip.
Santa Barbara looks lovely but to find a place on the beach like the Kon Tiki, with are budget is impossible!
Were just after somewhere to sit by the pool in the day and maybe a few drinks and a nice meal in the evening.
Is Santa Barbara really that much nicer? You’ve got me thinking now and that’s the last thing I wanted to do tonight!
Thanks.
Al
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 03:57 PM

I really agree with Moneygirl -- 3 nights in Pismo is just 2 much! There isn't too much to see in Pismo, and I dont think the Kon Tiki is special enough to warrant 3 days...
No L.A.? I'd stay a night or two in Los Angeles, Hollywood or Santa Monica and shave off a day in Laguna Beach....

Good LUCK!(
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 04:20 PM

I take it you're from England. Would you recommend someone come to the UK and spend three weeks but never go to London? I can't imagine spending that time in California and not including Los Angeles -- my favorite city in California -- yes, it is.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

As a matter of fact mate I would! Over rated and over priced.
Is there much to see and do in L.A.?
Few friends have been and said, "it?s a bit of a dump and you can?t have a good night out without a car" (not my words!)
Really we want to chill on the last week so any suggestions would be great. Can you recommend anywhere in L.A. That?s on the beach with plenty to see and do?
Cheers, Al
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 04:50 PM

Allmoo, this is an interesting thread to me because my late husband and I stayed a few nights in Pismo Beach whilst on our honeymoon. It was a spur of the moment stop so to speak. A bit tired and needed just some quiet downtime. Do not remember the name of the lodging but know it was not expensive and looked out over the water.

Reading your post reminds me of those 2 nights. Beautiful and serene. And than when we left we came home to the SF Bay Area so relaxed.

Just one persons perspective for what it is worth.

And Los Angeles during a honeymoon trip? No thank you!
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 05:45 PM

So you would tell a person going to the UK for the first time and spending three weeks there to skip London all together as it is "overrated and overpriced"? Well, guess I won't be responding to this any more. Obviously we are worlds apart on what to do and see when traveling!!!!

I've traveled all over the UK, but London still is my MAIN reason for going each year! Not overrated in my book!!!
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 07:03 PM

Allmoo, I am going to be very honest with you. I would NOT go to Las Vegas or Death Valley on my honeymoon. There is plenty to do in California that will keep you busy! I would not stay at Yosemite anywhere other that the Wawona Hotel, Ahwahnee Hotel or Yosemite Lodge because you will spend all of your time driving to and from the park and not hiking and seeing the beautiful wonders of the falls and the trees, in fact... you should stay at least two nights if you are including this on your itinerary. Los Angeles is definately worth a visit! I have lived in CAlifornia all my life and there are so many things to do there I still have not "seen it all." No such thing in LA.CArmel and Monterey is worth a few nights and I would stay in Santa Barbara and maybe a night or two at Ventana (Big Sur)Please rethink this trip!I think lots of people here can help you plan the perfect trip... just don't stay three nights in Pismo... the beach itself is nothing special and the town is ugly.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 07:29 PM

Ah, a romantic getaway to the central coast--for a honeymoon, especially--yes, I'd also skip Pismo. A B&B or Inn in Cambria or Carmel is my idea of of fabulous, romantic way to spend a few days chilling with my sweetie.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 07:34 PM

Wow, these posts are all over the place and I agree with most of them but for different reasons.

LA is a great place to vacation but could take up a lot of "sight-seeing" time that is not the best use of a honeymoon. Take a trip to LA later and you could spend an entire fantastic trip there.

It is a lot of driving but there is beautiful scenery along the way that will be so completly different than the UK it will be exotic. The desert can be so amazing and Death Valley is spectacular. It is also a good place to rest on the way from Yosemite to Vegas. Since you will be traveling in the summer make sure you get a nice rental car with good air conditioning. Also make sure to take one of the sierra mountain passes from Yosemite to Death Valley - they will be clear of snow and are gorgeous. Since you are from the UK it will be an experience for you to be in those 100+ temps so enjoy them.

Personally, I absolutly love Vegas. There is no place like it on earth.

I'm not sure I'd split up San Diego and Laguna Beach. I'd prefer 5 nights in San Diego because there is a lot to do or not to do if that is your preferance. Laguna is not much more than a beach community.

You could do the wacky driving thing for the first part and a more leasurely trip at the end.

San Francisco 3 nights, 6-8 hour drive to Yosemite for 2 nights, 7-8 hour drive to Death Valley for 1 night, 4 hour drive to Vegas for 3 nights, 10 drive to San Diego for 5 nights, 6 hour drive to Pismo for 3 nights, 6 hour drive to Monterey for 1 night and another 3-5 hours back to San Francisco would be a lot of driving but you would see a lot and have some quiet time too.

My times are estimates and other posters may have some corrections.

It depends on what you want out of your honeymoon. If you only want quiet and romance this is way too busy but if you won't have a lot of chances to come back to California this will also be a great vacation. You will definatley want to come back for more of the Golden State.

Congratulations to you both and have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 07:18 AM

Have to chime in again & agree with Patrick and moneygirl...
Carmel is soooo much more beautiful than Pismo, don't miss it, and I also think Cambria a nicer stop than Pismo...
I too, would skip Death Valley in your time frame. It will be incredibly hot at that time of year, and they don't call it death Valley for nothing!!!
All the best...
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 07:18 AM
ltt

my two cents...
very wise to skip l.a. in my opinion. many more pleasant places to spend your time.
death valley - if it's in the budget, i'd stay at the furnace creek ranch (not the really expensive furnace creek INN). it is MUCH nicer then stovepipe wells. nice pool which you'll need at that time of year. two restaurants on site. make sure the car is gased up and all the coolants etc are full. bring water in the car. it will be VERY hot. the tour at scotty's castle is worth the few bucks. very interesting.
vegas is a blast and 3 nights is perfect. hotel rates should be reasonable at that time of year. try to be there between sunday and thursday. rates are more expensive on the weekends.
i'd do 3 nights in san diego and 2 in laguna.
take one or two nights from pismo and stick that time onto monterey. it's a gorgious area and one night won't do it justice.
september 2-5 is the last long weekend of summer with many people travelling. rates will be up at this time wherever you go.
sounds like a great trip.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 08:28 AM

Skip Death Valley and Pismo Beach. I would increase your time in Monterey, San Diego and see Santa Barbara. You can get a reasonable hotel in Santa Barbara. Maybe not on the beach but the town is awesome and perfect for a honeymoon. You will be sorry if oyu miss it.

I live in LA--I would say take a few days here and see the sights. But, you will have a lovely time without it.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Big Sur beats Pismo hands down. If you want more time relaxing on the beach, add a day to your Laguna Beach stay. And finally, the best part of Santa Barbara is driving along the coast (right through it). You could stop for lunch and a quick stroll but there's no need to book an expensive hotel room in that painfully posh town.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 10:48 AM

I think the question you have answer is: Do I enjoy nature more or people and cities more.

I'm a nature boy myself and wouldn't ever consider "wasting" my time in Vegas and likewidse I have no desire to "experience" LA.

Add all the nights you can to the Monterey/Carmel area and don't miss Point Lobos if you prefer nature. If you like cities then I have nothing to contribute. For example, I've lived in New York for 35 years and have only visited N.Y.C. three times and couldn't wait to get out of it. I feel the same way about Vegas. Went to Vegas twice in the last two years but stayed only long enought to pick up my rental jeep and head for southern Utah for hiking and sightseeing.

Different strokes and all that.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 12:11 PM

I've never been a fan of Pismo, but my kids all like it OK. It in no way compares to the beauty of Carmel/Monterey area. The beach is flat, it's rather boring there and there aren't too many good places to dine, either.

Spend your time in Monterey. Stay at the Plaza if you can. Drive down to Big Sur, the coast is just beautiful and you will be going there when the weather should be very nice. Try to have a meal at Sierra Mar, you will love it.

I'm going to SB in a few days for the first time. I can't wait to explore this part of our state. ***kim***
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 12:17 PM

Lots of great insight. I must agree about the quanity of time on the road.Too Much!

Remember the Quality of the time you spend is more important than the miles covered. Unfortunately or fortunately, California is a large state.

Every destination has enough to keep you occupied beyond the nights you have outlined. For example, SF has scenery, national icons to visit(SF Bridge, Alcatraz, Fishermans Wharf,) as well as many fantasitic Museums, theatre, music and nature(Muir Woods) Not to mentions clubs, dining, sporting event) If you want to see the surface of an area plan only a day or two if you are interested in the culture or a deeper view plan accordingly. Go to SFgate.com to find out about happenings in SF.

If you like to hike and explore 2 nights in yosemite is not enough. 1100 Square miles of pristine trails, note the valley is only 7 square miles of the entire park the beauty extends far beyond the 7 miles. 3 nights gives you 2 full days in an area. Yosemite is only 3 hours from San Francisco if you time your travel not during rush hour. Leave town between 10 am and 1pm and you will zip through. I don't know about Miners Inn sounds like Oakhurst which is not on the direct path to Yosemite from SF. Plan on taking the most scenic route hwy 120. I like a new place that just opened not to long ago by Friends of Yosemite Park Assn. Friends Lodge. Very helpful and knowledgeable Innkeepers. www.friendsofyosemitepark.com. There are 4 entrances into the park. Make sure you come in on Hwy 120 to be direct from San Francisco. Other take you out of the way. Use yosemite.com to find lodging on all highways around the park.

Spend your funds on a quailty hotel instead of a longer trip. As this is your honeymoon you don't want to recall pilly sheets and burnt lightbulbs.

Do yourself a favor. Get a Thomas Guide for the state of California at Amazon.com. This map offers general area maps, detail city maps(not all but most), points of interest, services and driving times and mileage from major cities. You will be able to visulalize your travel as you plan.

Best to you and yours!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -