Please recommend good family friendly Italian and seafood restaurants in Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of people rave about the great Italian and seafood restaurants in Boston, but no one I know seems to have any specific recommendations. We aren't looking for famcy-just good. The kids are 16, 14 and 11, so kids' menus are not essential. Any recommendations?
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 10:25 AM

I don't know what your budget is, but we loved Kingfish Hall in the Quincy Market area. It's a Todd English restaurant, so a little spendy. They had a fried lobster dish that was incredible.

The only Italian place we went to was Bricco in the north end. Very good, but spendy. I'd consider it more of a date place.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 11:24 AM

For a classic Boston seafood experience, try Union Oyster House (great atmosphere and great food) near Quincy Market area. Also try Barking Crab near waterfront area.

For Italian food, wander into the North End and walk up & down Hanover and Salem streets...you can look at the menus posted in the windows and get a sense of the atmosphere and pick the place that is right for your family.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 12:06 PM

For Italian, in the North End, when with family, and not looking for a 'fine dining italian' we enjoy Piccolo Nido or La Summa - with Piccolo Nido being my first choice for good food and relaxed atmosphere - but make a reservation and if you are going to be late you must be polite and call or they will give away your reservation !
outside of North End, Giacomo's on Colombus Ave
is excellent, as is Sage, but I am thinking not for you plus all the kids -

Seafood choices with family/kids
Jasper White's Summer Shack - which is upstairs from Kings Bowling Alley, if you want to work off dinner
I think it is summershackrestaurant.com

All the other seafood mentions are also good and you might want to add a Legal Seafood and/or Legal Seafood test kitchen if you are near one of them

Not italian or seafood, but two other restaurants w/ kids that age that often work are Jillians - billiards, games, etc
Jillians.com

For what I think is one of the best, if not the best, burger in town, family friendly, big screen tvs, you can try Clery's on Dartmouth St - family friendly irish pub

grabbing food picnic style from one of the many places that does that and going to the movies (fri nights i think only) on the esplanade on the charles river (or movies at night behind boston harbor hotel, overlooking the harbor, you can check on their web site)
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 12:24 PM

With kids, I strongly second the recommendation of the Summer Shack -- fun, kid-friendly, food kids like (great fried chicken)as well as excellent fish fried, broiled, steamed.

In the North End, if they like fish at all, you can combine Italian and seafood if you try the Daily Catch (also known as the Calamari Cafe) on Hanover Street. Look for the green awning. It is tiny, but you watch the cooking from about five feet away, and it is a lot of fun -- spectacular flareups when the oil hits the stove! Lots of fish on the menu besides calamari, by the way, but no meat last time I was there. Get dessert at Mike's Pastry across the street or Modern Pastry a block down to the left as you leave.

Another good choice in the North End, informal and easy on the pocketbook, is Artu, around the corner at 6 Prince Street. They are a rosticceria specializing in roasted meats, but they have the lightest veal and eggplant parmesan in the North End, and all their pastas are good. Big portions.

I had good food on many occasions at Piccolo Nido, but the last time we were there, seven or eight years ago, a whole table full of people whipped out joints and started smoking them like after-dinner cigars, with no complaints from the staff. Not something I would want my children to be around, and we decided we would never go back either.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 10:17 AM

Ackislander I am sorry to hear about that incident at Piccolo Nido, we eat there at least twice a month, and family members and friends at other times and have never had an incident like that - I am really surprised to hear that -

I am wondering if Pino, the owner, was there that night or knows about that incident - if he knew he had lost patrons b/c of something like that he would be irate, - we have been there when he has turned people away b/c they are rude or obnoxious or seemingly inebriated prior to even being seated, - and he has always welcomed extended families of all ages - and entertains them with his stories -

So I will be sure to talk to Pino about this and report back to you- we have been going there for many years and often recommend to friends, acquaintances and others (like on this board) so for those reasons I want to know if there is something happening there when I am not around -

now we've been steady patrons for about 5 yrs, so maybe things were different before, or was he leaving others in charge, or was he the owner then - although I believe so b/c i think he has had it for almost 10 or 11 yrs now - but I would hate to see him lose business b/c of this and perhaps he knew about it and handled it , as I said, I'd be very surprised he allowed that but who knows, I've been shocked before, but I will definitely inquire about it-
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 07:04 PM

very good info in this thread! I also love Calamari Caffe and Artu'

I wanted to add, that the North End is so compact and has so many landmarks (Paul revere's house, Old North Church, etc) that I recommend "scoping out" restaurants and their menus while seeing the sights, then return to the one which looks the best when dinnertime rolls around. You can get the kids in on the detective work too. Good luck!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 12:08 AM

Second the idea of walking thru North End and checking out restaurants - almost all have menus posted outside. As inappropriate as it sounds to adults, my son when a teenager wanted to find one that looked "like Mafia guys would eat there" - and had fun looking for one when he normally had no interest in searching for a restaurant.

People complain often about cost of seafood in Boston - so be aware that good seafood is never cheap. I love Summer Shack - but much prefer the original one in Cambridge - but easy to get to. Take red line to northern most end (MBTA.com) - stop is called Alewife - and it is right there.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 03:49 AM

Escargot, I am getting to the age when everything seems only yesterday, but on reflection, this incident would have been 1995-97, longer ago than I had remembered. We were living on the waterfront then, so it was a convenient place to eat and a nice place to take guests (which we were doing that evening) but with so much choice in the neighborhood (only a couple of blocks to North Square) it just didn't seem worth going back. A sad lesson for restaurant owners in how one event can hurt a business.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 04:10 AM

Regina's Pizza in the North End.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Agree with Gail about people complaining about seafood prices. Particularly, tons of my friends complain about how expensvie Legal Seafood is, and how they don't like it because it's a "chain" Then I task them where they'd rather go. Skipjacks? Great place...same prices. Uh oh, skipjacks has mutliple locations, is it a chain too?

Turners? Even more expensive (but I havent' been since their renovation).

Union Oyster House? Legendary place....same price as Legals

McCormick and Shmicks? That's a chain too, expensive save for their early evening specials in the bar ("happy hour" is against the law in MA...don't utter those words around here or you'll get treated like Don Imus)

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 07:48 AM

You didn't ask, but here is the answer -

One of the best days for classic Boston would be to start in AM near Boston Common/Public Gardens and head off on Freedom Trail. Stop where you want, see what you are interested in. End up around lunchtime at Quincy Market (the commercial part of the area)/Faneuil Hall (the historic part of the area).

Have lunch at one of the stalls, vendors or restaurants. Sit outside and people watch. Do some shopping for souveniers - although most of the cute local shops in the area have been replaced by chains.

Continue into North End on Freedom Trail. Get an Italian Ice from a vendor. Sit in the little park outside old North Church and then go inside. Possibly make it all the way to the end where the USS Constitution is, depending on stamina and time.

Then head back to North End for dinner.

Unless the weather is bad or you can't do much walking, there is something for everyone in this day. Have taken numerous visitors of all ages to do this itinerary and no one has complained to my face about it.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 07:49 AM

Ackislander: so I believe that would have been the time range (97) of the year he opened, I will ask him anyway b/c you are right, it is awful for that to happen - we had hoped to eat there this weekend, but now it will be next weekend instead - he has a few dishes there that are favorites of ours, so while we also eat at other places, we tend to return there for that, and the camaraderie and comfortable/homey feeling as long repeats -

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:27 AM

The best and most affordable seafood in Boston can be found at the No Name Cafe on Fish Pier. Oh man the Seafood their is so fresh and so good. Otherwise I would reccomend the Barking Crab. Union Oyster House is located right on the Freedom Trail and is good for the history but it is really overpriced and touristy and the food is not nearly as good as the No Name.
For Italian food head to the North End. Restaraunts are REALLY pricy here and many dont accept credit cards. Quality does not vary much from place (its all really good) to place but price does. My pick is Le Osteria. The food is really good and inexpensive compared to other North End joints. However you should probably just walk around look at menus and what people are eating and pick a place. Afterwards grab a cannoli or some other pastrey at Mikes or Modern pastry or a cup of espresso at one of the Italian caffes.
Boston also has GREAT pizza and you should definitely try some. The best places are Pizzeria Regina in the North End, Santarpios in East Boston, The Upper Crust in Beacon Hill or Pinnochios, Emmas or Cambridgew 1 in Cambridge.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
missypie, are you heading out of Boston at all? I grew up and live on the North Shore and love to have eat my seafood from Essex or Gloucester. I'd gladly give you reccos for the North Shore. The prices are better and it's not "chainy", you're more likely to get local house specials than the standards that anyone in America can get off of any chain's menu. If I have to have seafood in Boston, only from Skipjack's...Legal's a rip off for what it is.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Oh...for the North End, try Antico Forno. I've always found the prices to be quite agreeable and the food excellent. I also get lunch takeout at Artu's regularly and it's great. I've gotten sick twice at Mother Anna's, so take that for what it's worth.

As mentioned on another thread, locals I know avoid Mike's Pastry and head for Modern or Maria's instead. Just so you know... ;-)
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 01:45 PM

re: The no name. It's been there for about 100 years, so they must be doing something right. No frills, no utensils or cups that are not made from plastic. I like this place and go there a few times per year. BUT, there's a seriously divided camp about this place. I've heard a lot of people complain about the atmosphere, lack of variety on the menu, etc. Makes me laugh because a non-chain is going to have a limited menu if they serve fresh seafood, and I know ahead of time there'll be no fancy china, crystal, and cutlery so it doesn't bother me. Just a heads up, I think it's good, but it's not for everyone.

Barking Crab is another casual place that some people hate and some people like. I like it. Casual picnic-style seating under a tent (although they have a small indoor room which is nice in the winter). Roll up your sleeves and smash your crabs with a mallet to open them--my kind of place (but not everyone likes it).

Also worth mentioning is across the street from Barking Crab, in the Federal Courthouse, is a Daily Catch restaurant, sister establishment to the Calamari Cafe in the North End. Very, very good Italian seafood place with a similar menu to Calamari Cafe.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 02:29 PM

I just have to add my 2 cents (for what it's worth). No Name is boring, no atmosphere and unclean. Skipjacks is awful(bad food and expensive). Legal's is expensive but very good. It's a chain, but if it isn't near you, what does that matter. Jasper White's Shack is fun, good for kids, and can be quite good. In the North End, I agree that looking around for a place with a menu you like is a good idea except for the high end restaurants, where I would check reviews and make a reservation. Hope you enjoy Boston.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:42 AM

Al Dente in the North End.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 06:02 AM

La Famiglia Giorgio's on Newbury street.paul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -