Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please help with travel between newark airport, newrark's new prudential center, and NYC

Search

Please help with travel between newark airport, newrark's new prudential center, and NYC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to do research on my own for this, but I am confused by the many options of bus travel vs. train travel, switching trains, etc.

This is a girls trip and the 3 of us are flying into Newark in November. We will be seeing a concert at the new prudential center in newark (still under construction) on 2 separate nights. We are planning to either stay at the hilton newark airport or the hyatt on the hudson in jersey city.

Our basic itinerary is:
Day 1-arrive at EWR at 11am, go into NYC to sightsee, come back to newark for concert that night
Day 2-go into NYC to sightsee, come back that night for concert in newark
Day 3-go into NYC to sightsee
Day 4-fly out of EWR

We haven't decided between these 2 hotels because we are debating which hotel has the most trasportation hassles.

If we stay in Jersey City, we will be right next to the path train, but we will still have to take the train into Newark the 2 nights of the show

If we stay at the hilton EWR, we will be closer to the stadium for the concerts but further from the city.

Can anyone tell me which hotel option would be easier as far as changing trains and all the back and forth. And, what transportation option will get us where we want to go the fastest? I realize staying in NYC is best when visiting there, but this just isn't an option. Thanks for any help at all!
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 06:41 AM

pianogirl, hi! you could consider staying at the Jersey City hotel to be near the PATH trains, and then simply taking a taxi to and from the concerts. Since you will be three persons, the taxi fare will not be burdensome.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Actually, only 2 of us are going to the shows. Any idea how much the taxi would be approximately?
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 08:44 AM
GoTravel

I can't think of anything more dismal or depressing than staying at a Newark Airport hotel.

The Hyatt Jersey City is a much better option.

Old Aug 10th, 2007, 11:02 AM

I'm not really up on NJ taxi rates, but I'd guess you'll pay about $20 or $30 each way for a taxi from EWR to the Prudential Center.

I'd make one more suggestion. Take a look at the Robert Treat Hotel. It has a shuttle to Newark Penn Station and might meet your requirements, and it's actually in Newark.