Search

Please help to plan a trip with young kids to AZ & UT

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2015, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help to plan a trip with young kids to AZ & UT

Hi,
I'm planning a late June early July road trip to AZ and UT for our family...The only problem is that we have two young girls (4 years and 8 years)...I know.. I'm a little crazy!!

Here's my first draft of the plan:
Day1: fly to Las Vegas (again..I know, I'm crazy...but the air ticket is much cheaper flying there), and stay over night
Day 2: Drive to Zion. Stay at Zion Ponderosa Ranch
Day 3: Drive to Bryce. Stay in Best Western Plus Ruby's
Day 4: Drive to Page??
Day 5: Stay in Page?? Antelope, and Horseshoe Bend
Day 6: Drive to Grand Canyon. Stay in Yavapai Lodge
Day 7: Drive back to Las Vegas and stay 2 nights to recoup before flying back

Can anyone give me some suggestions of kids friendly activities/tours along the trip? I love nature activities, but I'm aware that with the two kids and heat summer temperate, we are most likely not able to do much of hiking!

Also in regards of Page, I heard that Antelope and Horseshoe Bend can be combined into one day..is it worth wile to stay for two nights? Should I pick a different town to stay?

Does anyone have experience of bringing toddlers to upper Antelope tour? Is it doable?

Thank!!!
Old May 15th, 2015, 08:30 AM
J62

Nothing wrong with flying into LV - it's a good gateway to UT/AZ area. I can't stand Vegas so I myself would head right out of town upon getting my rental car and drive all the way to Zion, or find a hotel 1/2 way in somewhere like St. George. But you can also certainly have a few hrs of fun in LV with the family seeing the sights, fountains, etc.

I think the location of Zion Ponderosa is horrible for visiting Zion. It is outside the east entrance of the park which means a drive of up to 30+min just to get to the parking area of the park. I much prefer to stay in the town of Springdale. Some of the hotels are close enough where you can walk to the entrance to the park, which is where you pick up the valley shuttle buses.

Ponderosa is in the direction of Bryce, so I guess if you will only be doing one night at Zion, don't plan to check-in until after you visit the park, and will head to Bryce upon check-out, then Ponderosa is an ok location. I'd still reco Springdale regardless. Shops, restaurants, nice hotels with pools, and beautiful location.

That's a lot of driving around every day, checking in and out of hotels every day. You will tire the kids (& parents) out moving every day and not spending enough time in any one location just to commune with nature.

With 4-8yr olds I would add one day to Zion (for a total of 1.5 to 2 days, 2 nights) and skip Page all together even though you are passing through. You will see a lot of red sandstone in your travels. If you want to get a feel for what the CO river / lower Glen Canyon looks like, you should take Rt89a via Lees Ferry, and do a short stop there enroute to the GC.
Old May 15th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks J62 for the Advice! I thought Ponderosa is right at the park entrance, so it'll be really close...Guess I was wrong.

As for Page, I just really want to see Antelope. Seems like a really cool place to go. I was even thinking if it's too much for the 4 year old, maybe my husband and I can take the tours in turn and leaving one staying in hotel watch kids.. Although I would much prefer a family trip all together.
Old May 15th, 2015, 11:56 AM

I would guess it would be find for your 4yo to go to upper Antelope. If you want to see what the entrance is like and some of the interior, go to my flickr page

www.flickr.com/photos/emalloy2009

click on albums then look at the 2008 trip album

The part you go through isn't too long and a kid would get as much fun from the ride out to the entrance as the slot canyon itself.
Old May 15th, 2015, 01:57 PM

I would skip the two nights in Vegas to recoup and add those to the national parks (I think it's easier to relax and recoup in a park than in Vegas).
Old May 15th, 2015, 06:34 PM

In regards to your question about two nights in Page, I absolutely would not if those are the only two things you are planning to do. We drove from the GC to Page, did Antelope and Horseshoe Bend, and had checked into our hotel by 2:30 or 3pm all in one day. You can definitely fit those two into one day. However, I'm not sure if Horseshoe Bend is the best choice to take a toddler. Some people find it moderately strenuous because of the walking through the sand (slightly uphill). Antelope should be ok, it is a walk in the sand but it's flat. Just be sure to keep them close because the people that run the tours do pack a lot of people in there (in the summer at least) at one time and move you through fairly quickly.

Something you could do in Zion that would be family friendly is the Riverside Walk up to the start of the Narrows, and the children can get in the water and play some. Nice way to cool off, plus the hike is easy and fairly scenic.

Ponderosa may be at the park entrance, but it's at the eastern entrance, and the main canyon at Zion is at the western entrance. I second the recommendation to stay in Springdale, it's so easy to catch the shuttles and everything you need is right there. There isn't much of anything near the eastern entrance. There is, however, a buffalo herd that sometimes congregates at Zion Mountain Ranch, which is just outside the eastern entrance. Might be a fun pit stop on your way to Bryce if they are there for your kids to see.
Old May 16th, 2015, 08:16 PM

I just returned from Kanab, Ut where I participated in THE WAVE lottery and lost for the 10th time this year.

Antelope Canyon:
The first time I was there, it was difficult to find. Finally, I found it and there was one Navajo woman selling typical jewelry. I simply walked in and wandered around. Alone.

At Kanab WAVE lottery, I talked to a woman photographer who had just returned from Antelope Canyon. She HAD to hire a photography guide - who knew nothing about photography. A Navajo suck money from tourist welfare program.

Anyway, there are no tourist quantity restrictions. She said there were about 200 people there coming/going from both ends of this rather short canyon. Almost a traffic jam.
Alas, times have changed.

Vaga
Old May 17th, 2015, 04:22 AM

Definitely stay in Springdale to see Zion - with such a short amount of time, you will want to be close to the park and dining options. You should add a night to Zion. Stay somewhere in town with a pool so the kids can relax and cool off. There are lots of nice places to stay in town.
Old May 17th, 2015, 02:30 PM

I live in Utah and vacation in southern Utah with my kids all the time. First--this is waay to much driving for a 4 and 8 year old--or for many people!
I would do 2 days in Zion and 1-1.5 days in Bryce. Then I would NOT go to the Grand Canyon. Too far, too much with little ones. I would go to Kanab and stay there instead of Page. Visiting Best Friends Animal Sanctuary was a huge highlight for my kids. If you do go to Antelope Canyon--then see lower, not upper. Upper was so crowded that all you could was take a couple steps, stop take pix, repeat. See my trip reports below for places to stay and things to do in Zion, Bryce, Kanab/Page. The Desert Pearl is a great place for families to stay in Springdale if you can get reservations there.

If you really want to cram alot into a little time, then go when the kids are older or just plan on doing what you can with your girls and plan on coming back to do more vacations. This is a great area for kids--but you have to realize that you are limited by their needs. I find that planning trips that maximizes their fun (within reason) means more fun for me!

Zion:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ids-report.cfm

Bryce:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-with-kids.cfm

Antelope Canyon/Page/Kanab
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...rip-report.cfm
Old May 18th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the suggestions! I cancelled Ponderosa Ranch and booked La Quinta Inn in Springdale.

I also booked one night for Canyons Lodge in Kanab. Is that close enough for Page and Zion?
Old May 18th, 2015, 08:52 AM

Zion is near Springdale, where you have lodging. For mileage check this site:

http://ohiohickstraveltips.weebly.co...-utah-map.html

Then you can decide if Kanab is near enough for Page and ? maybe Bryce? or north rim?
Old May 18th, 2015, 11:34 AM

Hi funkids!

We actually just got back from our family trip to Utah and Colorado last night! We have two young boys (ages 5 and 7) and planned a very busy 16-day hiking trip. It was fantastic.

When planning our trip, I received some excellent advice from many experienced fodorites. If you haven't already looked at the thread, here it is:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...young-boys.cfm

Just a few words (I intend to write a very detailed trip report, but am busily trying to unpack and won't realistically get it done for a couple of weeks), but I will say that I absolutely LOVED Zion NP. We stayed at Cable Mountain Lodge (in a Classic Suite with Wallbed) and I recommend it highly. Not only is it located in the cute and convenient town of Springdale, but it has the added bonus of being the closest lodge to the entrance of the park (which isn't really advertised anywhere!). What this means is that you don't have to drive to the park entrance and find parking, nor get on the Springdale Shuttle, in order to get on the park shuttle - you can simply walk out of your room and you're almost at the Visitor Center! A true perk. Not to mention, the lodge itself and its pool and amenities were awesome. We did lots of hiking while in Zion and our boys did great. Granted, the weather in early May was quite different than it will be end of June (we were a little cold!). Our favourite trails were definitely Watchman Trail and Kayenta Trail to Upper Emerald Pool.

We also flew into Vegas to start our trip and we thought it was great. We happened to be there on the day of the Mayweather boxing match and so Vegas was a bit nutty, but we thought it was a great place to start. We stayed at the Tahiti Village for 2 nights and would definitely recommend staying there. It wasn't on the Strip -- it was about 2 miles off the Strip. There were shuttles to Mirage and Tropicana, but we chose to drive to the strip whenever we needed to and found it a good way to get around (parking everywhere is free). We chose the off-strip location because prices were astronomically high on the strip when we were there (due to the fight), but also because of the look of the place. It didn't disappoint. It's got a huge pool in a very tropical setting, a large and fun lazy river... it was exactly what we wanted. It was like getting away to a Caribbean resort for some fun in the sun before asking the kids to hike for 14 days straight : ) And at much-discounted prices compared to the strip as well.

Anyways, hope this helps. Do take a look at my planning thread... Good luck planning and happy travels!

Jenn
Old May 18th, 2015, 03:43 PM

I think Kanab is close enough for a day trip to Page--all you need IMO. But Springdale is going to be your base for Zion. Cable Mountain Lodge and Desert Pearl Inn are your best bets with little kids. I love Rubys for Bryce--but there are other hotels there now that are just fine as well.