Please Help San Fran Hotel

Oct 31st, 2008, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Please Help San Fran Hotel

We are traveling for a quick three nights to San Fran. Don't want to rent a car want to stay in a safe area for walking closed to bars restaurants etc. Would love to be close to Broadway and Columbus. Any suggestions. ??? I'm really having a hard time want something nice but don't need Ritz etc. Maybe in the 150-250 range. THANKS
Oct 31st, 2008, 10:58 AM
lvk

Did you check the specials running right now on www.travelzoo.com? There are some great deals on the Sir Francis Drake for $95, Westin, Hilton, Fairmont all for less than $200. I'm not sure if your dates are blacked out, but it's worth a look. I wish we would have had these deals when we were there 2 weeks ago.
Oct 31st, 2008, 11:02 AM

I think NeoPatrick stayed in Washington Square area inn. You can type this in the search space.
Oct 31st, 2008, 11:09 AM

Several of us for SF GTG stayed at Columbus Motor Inn. It is on Columbus, about half way between Washington Square and Fisherman's Wharf. The # 30 bus (plus others) stops at the front door and will take you to Broadway, to Union Square or to Market.

The rooms have just been redone, rather nice decor. I wouldn't say it is super fancy, but it was very nice, spotless, and our room was one of the really large ones with two queen beds plus a full size sofa, table and two chairs. They have large flat screen TVs. We paid $140 a night for a senior or AAA discount.

Oct 31st, 2008, 12:20 PM

We really liked Columbus Motor Inn when we were there last year. I'd said that on our second visit to San Fran sometime, I might go ritzier .... but I really wouldn't. For the money, location ... I don't believe you can beat this motor inn.
Oct 31st, 2008, 04:15 PM

I think the Sir Francis Drake for $95/night is an amazing deal. I would snatch that one up.
Nov 1st, 2008, 07:05 AM

...another vote for Sir Francis Drake. A very charming SF hotel artfully decorated hotel in a fab Union Square location and right on the cable car route. We love drinks at the top (the velvety Starlight Lounge) and dinner at their Scala Bisto which opens up to the street. SFD is always our number one pick in the city.

I would take early morning walks from SFD through bustling Chinatown, through North Beach and to Washington Square park (to watch the older Chinese doing Tai Chi....a sight!) and up to Coit Tower. Invigorating and a great way to start the day.

Have fun...
Nov 1st, 2008, 09:04 AM

Wow. Usually (being the skeptic that I am) I figure some of those specials are a come on. So I tried Sir Francis Drake for three different three night periods at random over the next three months (avoiding the blackout dates on the website) and ALL came up confirming that $95 rate.

I too would JUMP at it.
Nov 1st, 2008, 09:40 AM
SAB

A declining economy will do this to hotel rates--decreased business travelers= more empty hotel rooms.
Nov 1st, 2008, 10:22 PM

The rooms at the Sir Francis Drake are small....typical, I think, of some of these older historic buildings....I am in a tiny room at the Palmer Hilton in Chicago right now. But, it is nicely outfitted and fairly deluxe. Fine sheets/linens, etc. As long as you are prepared for small quarters, the rest won't disappoint. Again, at THAT price!

Though I got the Palmer Hilton for $90/night!....fantastic deal. It is a gorgeous hotel.
Nov 2nd, 2008, 01:01 AM

Yes, most of the rooms at the Sir Francis Drake are small but oh the location can not be beat!

And since they have remodeled no doubt their rooms and bathrooms are more pleasant and appealing. I haven't stayed there since they remodeled. If you want a quiet room do talk to the hotel directly regarding this as they are on the corner of Powell and Sutter which are noisy streets.
Nov 2nd, 2008, 04:25 AM

I've stayed at Columbus Motor Inn and have always liked it. Should you rent a car, they used to provide free parking, though I don't know if it is still that way. Right on Columbus, but a longish walk to Broadway.

I happen to have appraised the Sir Francis Drake before the current owner purchased and renovated it. It had a lot of mechanical problems (esp. water pressure) back then, but I think that the renovation was supposed to solve all that. I'm sure it's very nice now.

Most recently stayed at Club Quarters, which is near The Embarcadero & the Ferry Terminal, through priceline. Very reasonable rates, the hotel was ok, probably 3 star quality, and we (me, wife and son) thought the location was great - I'd say +/- five blocks from Columbus & Broadway.
Nov 2nd, 2008, 05:31 AM

I have only stayed at the Sir Francis Drake since the renovations and it is very nice. Typical of the Kimpton Hotel Group, very stylish with fine linens.
Nov 2nd, 2008, 08:32 AM

The last 2 times we've stayed at Sir Francis Drake, we requested corner rooms on the higher floors (to avoid street traffic), but also not too high to hear the noise from the Starlight lounge at night.

The Petite Queen rooms are small, but still a deal at $95. We opted for the Deluxe Room which were pleasantly very large and spacious (we were traveling with our young son and teen niece) and accomodated our group nicely. I saw that this room with the TZ special was a rate of $125. So....if space is what you're looking for, this is a steal.
Nov 2nd, 2008, 09:27 AM

Good feedback..thanks ncounty and adventureseeker.

I have always liked the Kimpton Group of hotels. I was very dissapointed when they sold the Villa Florence Hotel which is a couple south on Powell.

And I have always enjoyed Scala's Bistro!
Nov 2nd, 2008, 10:56 AM

I use hotwire about 4-5 times a year for hotels in San Francisco. You can choose your neighborhoods so I pick union square to be close to everything. While you wont know your hotel until after you pay, they are always nice places and have the best prices.

Dont spend more than an hour at fisherman's wharf - it's just a tourist trap. The best touristy thing is alcatraz.

check out www.sfcityguides.org for some great free walking tours that will help you see and learn about the true SF. I have done several, they are fantastic
Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:01 AM

I would go with the Columbus Motor Inn. Stayed there in August and loved it. I was nervous at first because of the outside, but don't judge a book by its cover. Rooms were very nice and big with flat screen tv. Had a two level parking garage which was free!! We were very impressed.
Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:34 AM

How far is the Columbus Motor Lodge from Pier 39 area with Fisherman's Wharf?
Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
Kal

poco...just about a short 5-10 min walk to thos palces as well as Aquatic Park/Ghirardelli Sq

Good location as it's right near No Beach and Chinatown...

I got the SF Hilton on O'Farrell for $80/nite for the recent SF GTG recent GTG, but I had a $55 parking bill for a day 1/2 parking!

Nov 2nd, 2008, 01:10 PM

pocohontas, I'd say that Columbus Motor Inn is maybe a 10 to 15 minute (all flat) walk from Pier 39 1/2. It was more like 5 to 10 from Pier 43 1/2 which is maybe 5 minutes closer.
And yes they do still provide free parking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO