Reload this Page >

Please Help me!!!!! LA Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 07:21 AM
Tammy

I am planning on goning to LA in mid January. I would like to know what to avoid (in terms of bad areas and neighborhoods) also, in doing research, i am being told that The LA area is not the best area. Is this true? Do prostitutes and such really prevail that much. The areas I plan on going to are Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and Sanat Monica. I would really like to thank anyone who can help me out. Thanks.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 07:39 AM
xxx

LA is much nicer than it is protrayed by the journalists in recent years. Yes, there is crime, but like any large city, there are areas to enjoy and some to avoid. Downtown LA doesn't offer much to the average tourist, but there are so many other areas to enjoy. Santa Monica is a fun beach area and offers the pier and the promenade. Beverly Hills is very upscale and includes the famous Rodeo Drive for shopping. Be prepared for sticker shock...only the truly rich actually buy things here, while the rest of us window shop. Hollywood is not as glamorous as one might think. There are touristy things to see and do along here, but it's not always the nicest area.

If you enjoy museums, make sure to take time to visit the Getty Museum!

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 11:49 AM
matthew

my advice, stay away from LA. Anytime in LA is too much time

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 03:59 PM
lynn

Tammy -

I agree alot with the first response in that Downtown doesn't offer much unless you're doing business. If you like jewels, you may want to stroll down Hill Street where there are many, many shops. Many of them are wholesale and if you're good at dealing and know what to look for, you can get some decent deals.

Hollywood can be sketchy in some areas but one of our favorite restaurants is there. It's called Prizzi's Piazza on Franklin Ave. It's right across the street from the big Scientology Celebrity Center.

We have dinner there as often as possible but we live about an hour outside of LA so it's not as often as we'd like! Killer breadsticks with tons of garlic. They make them out of their homemade pizza dough to order

For other restaurants you can head to La Cienaga (sorry, I'm not sure how to spell it and my map book isn't near by!) and there are many restaurants from Lawry's Prime Rib to Sushi (very expensive) to Ed Debevics 50's diner. They call this restaurant row. And right down the street is the Beverly Center.

Good Luck and remember that much of what is said about LA is true and much of it isn't. Come and judge for yourself.

Lynn

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 04:17 PM
wendy

I grew up in the downtown area so I disagree that there isn't much to see. The downtown area has lots of history.
First off, the Grand Central Market is a fine place to wander in for lunch. There are many stalls with different kinds of foods to sample and see - remember, every nation in the world is represented by an Angleno so the choices of food are myriad. Second, the Central Library is one of the finest in the world - again, there are beautiful books in many different languages. You can stop by the Music Center for a world-class performance or check out Little Tokyo. Then there's Olvera Street, a little touristy but worth a visit to see what LA may have been like when it was still Mexican. Across the street is the train station, a landmark. You might want to wander a few blocks north of there and visit Chinatown, eat lunch or buy souveniers.

It's true, Hollywood is a little scummy, but there are some fantastic Armenian and Lebanese restaurants on Little Santa Monica - my favorite is Maroush and while it's in a sketchy neighborhood, the food is to die for. Anyway, what's a trip to LA without seeing at least one transvestite prostitute?

Don't forget the museums on Wilshire Blvd, a bit further west. My childhood favorite is the Tar Pits.

I don't think there is anyplace you specifically need to avoid - justuse common sense. As a tourist, you probably won't be driving into any really objectionable areas anyway. Oh that reminds me, you absolutely need to rent a car - Angelenos have so far resisted public transportation in favor of more efficient roadways - that state budget can only go to one or the other.
Have fun.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 09:18 AM
cherie

I grew up in LA too. The department store where we used to shop is now the Petersen Automotive Museum....and terrific; there are great places to eat nearby....Farmers Market; Canters Deli on Fairfax Ave.; all kinds of bakeries there, too. Another Museum is the LA County Art Museum down the Street from The Petersen and the Tar Pits (kinda a Museum Row). Its all somewhat near...Beverly Hills and the Beverly Center are a coupla' miles down. You could head over to Santa Monica for beaches and the Third Street Mall area. Up to Malibu for a drive along a beautiful coast. The Getty Museum is nearby if you're driving on the West Side; it's off Hwy 405. UCLA is in the region and it's "village" for restaurants. So is Brentwood and it's shops and restaurants.