Please help me find a Charleston hotel

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Please help me find a Charleston hotel

We are planning on 3 days at the end of March. We are definitely on a budget and cannot afford a hotel in the historic district. Are there any areas of Charleston we should not stay in? Can anyone recommend a hotel under $100 a night that isn't too far from everything? Does one even exist? Maybe in one of the suburbs? We will have a car, so driving isn't a problem. Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 12:31 PM
GoTravel

You can get a Historic Value Room at the Andrew Pinckey Inn downtown in March (which is high season BTW) for $109 per night which is a steal.

http://www.andrewpinckneyinn.com/

The Hampton Inn Mt. Pleasant is $109.

DO NOT think about staying at the airport. You might as well stay in Columbia.

Hotwire has a 2 1/2 star downtown with a pool for $149. It's either the Best Western King Charles (which is fabulous and much nicer than many downtown hotels), or The Days Inn. Both are in excellent locations and have pools and free parking.

Charleston is one city you don't want to stay outside of. You are better off scrimping on your meals and souveniers than hotel.

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 12:32 PM
GoTravel

Let me clarify.

The Hampton Inn outside the Historic District is the same price as the downtown hotel. Prices aren't that much cheaper.

Also, with a car, you'll have to pay daily parking fees.

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 01:12 PM

There are a number of B&Bs along Savannah Highway, west of the Ashley river. This is no more than 10 minutes from the historic center. With that budget you may want to investigate this option.

A rather sterile option is to stay in some of the bland corporate hotels near the airport along I-26.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 03:12 PM

We used Priceline in August and got the Frances Marion right on King St. for $75/nt. I suggest you visit BiddingforTravel.com for a strategy and more recent pricing. I forget how much but there was a fee for parking. This hotel is right in the center of town and we walked everywhere. You could find a municipal lot and leave your car. This is an old, historic hotel, the room was small but very charming and elegantly appointed. There were lots of reasonable breakfast options within a short walk as well.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 03:30 PM

The Days Inn in Mount Pleasant (just across the river and only a few minutes from downtown) is one hotel which is definitely under $100. But I also have to disagree with anyone saying that the airport area is just too far away and undesirable. I don't really think that it is if you have a car. You will have a car and you could park for free all day at the battery park (at the tip of the historic peninsula). We do it regularly when we go to Charleston. You then get to walk up market street past many historic sites until you reach the Market itself. You also pass the historical society visitor center which has walking maps, gifts and good, clean restrooms. If you have a car it makes all the difference and gives you many lodging options. Kathy
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Hi bumblepeep, I stayed at the Francis Marion last April (the friend I was with got it through Priceline I believe) and I was very happy with this hotel. My first visit to Charleston, which I loved!!

Actually my room was quite large with a King Size bed. The location was fantastic (location is so important) and would stay there again if I was going to Charleston.

The staff was quite nice and very helpful. We used their valet parking and it was not expensive (especially compared to San Francisco). We never needed our car once while in Charleston which was very relaxing.

Best wishes and enjoy this beautiful city.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Don't stay in anything with a North Charleston address. It's a different city, not just a geographical description. I would expect you to find something in the Mount Pleasant area for cheap. Look for Hwy 17 or Coleman Blvd. as addresses. That would be a very short drive into downtown.

For instance, the Red Roof Inn in Mt Pleasant has a $62 Expedia rate for the first weekend in March. I stayed there for the bridge run a few years ago (allthough they ream you that weekend - we paid $169) and it was fine...your typical cheap but decent motel.

OK, I reread your post. You said end of March. Try not to let your trip run into the weekend that includes April 1st. This will be the Cooper River Run, this year is the first year on the new bridge, the city will be packed, and you will get the above-mentioned reaming.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 08:20 AM
GoTravel

Lightspeed, I'm paying $200 per night for the Days Inn historic district for the Bridge Run weekend.

It is so painful!

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Good Lord! Don't you live on Kiawah? Are you staying downtown so you can take the early morning shuttle over to the start?

My best friend's parents are living in Charleston now and we have "reserved" a guest room, and her Dad has offered to drive us to the start line. Now that's luxury! They had also offered to buy us dinner at the Sanctuary, but just recently informed my friend that the quality had slipped so we are going elsewhere. Bummer.

Maybe we'll "run" into you. I need to start training. I did 2004 in 47:53...I'll be lucky to make it under an hour at the rate I've been running lately.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:21 AM
GoTravel

Not on Kiawah but I'm a little over an hour from downtown.

We drove in and out on race day last year, night before to pick up packet, back home. Leave the house at 4:30 AM to make it to the shuttle bus by 5:30 then drive back home after the race. It took us two hours just to get out of the parking garage last year.

I think I have BeachDweller talked into running it this year.

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:25 AM
GoTravel

Smacking head.

Now your name makes sense!

47:53 is fast!

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:26 AM

*blushing* actually Litespeed is the name of my bike, but thanks, it seemed fast to me too...it was 2 minutes faster than I had ever done previously. I think there was a tailwind in '04. I missed last year, thankfully, when there was the serious headwind.

I have found that the easiest way to swing the logistics is to stay on the Mt. Pleasant side, run, and then take the shuttle busses back to the start line. That way you can maximize sleeping. the shuttles were very well organized and fast (and clean).

One year a friend dropped her car in downtown and then we headed back over to Mt. Pleasant. That seemed like a good plan, until she forgot where she parked it. A walking tour of Charleston parking garages is not a fun time after you just ran a 10K.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 07:54 AM
GoTravel

LOL!

I sat in my husband's car starving to death the two hours we were stuck in the parking garage.

This year, I want to spend the night downtown, catch the shuttle, run, and skip back to the hotel. I want a massive brunch at Poogans!

I hope to god it doesn't rain like it did last year. That wasn't fun at the start even though I did have a big rain poncho on.

Did you run the Burn the Bridges Run? That was a blast. Only 3500 people.

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 11:24 AM

Burn the bridges: no, I've been extremely slack. Only did Reedy River last year. I just looked at the Bridge run website, they are closing the race at 50,000. Do you think they really expect that many? Aren't there usually around 30,000?

Hmmm..brunch at Poogans....there's an idea. I guess I"ll loose my chowhound credentials for saying this, but I eat so many muffins and oranges and bananas etc. at the "festival" that I can't have a proper meal until dinnertime. I'm not sure about the people who eat those Johnsonville brats, though, they're tougher than I am.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 11:42 AM
GoTravel

Last year they cut the run off at 42,000 but due to the horrible weather right up to the start, only around 38,000 ran. I think but don't quote me on those figures.

No fruit and groceries for me! I want a Virginia ham omlet or shrimp and grits and beer for breakfast! The only way to go!