Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

PLEASE HELP! 1st-Time Skier going to Killington

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 09:44 AM
FC

I plan to go skiing for the first time with some friends at Killington, VT in November. Can anyone recommend a nice lodge for two couples (24+yrs)? Skiing equipment for beginners? Words of wisdom? Thanks.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 10:10 AM
lili

Words of wisdom - get waterproof ski pants and good ski gloves, the rest you can rent (boots, skis, poles)

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 11:29 AM
ALF

How close to the mountain do you want to stay, and how much are you willing to spend. The pricier and fancier places tend to be along the access road, which is several miles long (off Rte 4). For my money, as long as you have to drive, I would stay a few miles further away for less money and a quieter atmosphere. I usually stay at the rustic and pleaseant Beattie's (sic) Trailside Lodge, on Route 100. Another alternative is to check out lodges near the gondola base. You usually can rent ski equipment off-mountain for the same quality and less money. There are a couple of places right near the 4-way intersection between Routes 100, 4, and the Killington access road.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 12:01 PM
melinda

Rent your skis, boots and poles. Wear a warm ski hat. Buy those little disposable heater packs for your gloves. One pair of warm socks is better than two pair as you will get blisters. Proper fit of your boots is the most important aspect to an enjoyable day. Rent skis and such the night before. Skiing takes a few times so don't think you can master it in one day. Have a great time...skiing is an awesome sport at any level.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Skier

Don't forget long underwear and dress in layers. Personally, I would never rent at the mountain because you have to stand in line if it's busy and can't get someone to fit you correctly. Find a reputable ski shop in your city that rents and go in when they are not very busy and have them properly fit you. The ski shop will keep your specs in the computer and when you want to go again, all you have to do is call them and they will have your equipment ready.
Take a lesson, don't try to have a friend teach you. You will fall down a lot the first couple of times you try, so don't get discouraged. Practice what you learn in class and at the end of the
day, go have a hot chocolate with a shot of butterscotch schnapps.

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 02:22 PM
Tracey

I can't rember the name, but there is a inexpensive hotel across from the Skyship Base lift, on route 4. It's a great location because you can walk right across the street and get on the lift w/o lines. To get back to it, there is a green trail-which is a bit long. There's also a nicer hotel down the street called Cortina Inn. There are lots of websites with lodging info (http://www.linkvermont.com/townsvill/killingtonarea/) for one.
Also, I totally agree with Skier. Get you rentals before you leave. They will be less expensive than at the mountain, and you won't have the hassle of waiting in line, wasting half your day.
Go to the bar after and get a broken leg-my favorite. Hot apple cider with ginger brandy!
Have fun!