Please critique my family's SF to LA itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, 18 year old daughter, 15 year old son, and I are going to SF in July and then driving to LA. After much research, here's the plan I've come up with:

Saturday, July 2nd : arrive in San Francisco, not sure exactly what time since the flights aren't booked yet. Staying at Handlery Hotel Union Square. Spend whatever remains of Saturday, plus Sunday and Monday touring SF.

Tuesday: Get an early start and get to Muir Woods before 10 am. Leave there and stop at Santa Cruz for the boardwalk. Stay in Monterey or Carmel for the night.

Wednesday: Monterey aquarium and 17 Mile Drive. Spend the night in Cambria.

Thursday: Hearst Castle and Morro Bay sub sea tour. Drive to LA and stay at Renaissace Hollywood Hotel.

Friday and Saturday: Tour LA including Warner Brother's studio tour, Hollywood walk of stars and Grauman's.

Sunday - fly home

Does this sound reasonable given drive times and distances? Any suggestions of places to stay in Monterey or Carmel and Cambria?

We can spend up to $250/night and would like to be on the ocean or with an ocean view at least one night.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:41 AM

You might skip paying for the ocean view in Monterey since you probably won't be arriving until dark. Getting an "early start" on Tuesday basically means hitting heavy morning traffic so it's not much better really than getting a 10am start. I see Tuesday as a hectic day for you.

I would skip the 17 mile drive as it's really just more of what you'll be getting on the drive to Cambria.

All in all it's a tight plan for sure...but if you want to fit it all in with just a week, you have to hustle. Get an EARLY flight into SF so that you can make the most of that first day. From Michigan you'll gain a couple of hours so that will help. Then you might fit your Redwoods visit into Monday afternoon leaving a more leisurely Tuesday.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 09:04 AM
SAB

Muir Woods is NORTH of SF and your itinerary has you going SOUTH that day. Seems like a lot of add'l driving. You can stop and see redwoods on your drive south i.e around Santa Cruz.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 09:50 AM

I think your best bet for a night near water is Cambria. As long as you stay on Moonstone Beach Dr you'll do ok. Type Moonstone Beach and California into the search box and state at top of page and you will get loads of comments. There is also a link from the Hearst web page to lodging.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. Anyone else?
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 11:06 AM

I agree with SAB - you can see the same trees near Santa Cruz, no reason just to drive up north, spend an hour or so, and drive back. Unless you want to explore the area: Stinson Beach, Sausalito.

I'd skip Muir and maybe stop at Felton for the train ride.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 04:11 PM

I would agree with SAB and Faina, skip Muir Woods, you will get the same kind of redwoods south of SF.

Take that day and spend it in Carmel/Monterey. You might want to spend some afternoon time (no fog) driving south to Point Lobos, which is beautiful, and even as far as Pfeiffer Big Sur Park. Spend the second night in that area; maybe in Deetjens or even Pfeiffer Big Sur Lodge right there among the redwoods. Deetjens is on Highway 1 but on the landside and not the ocean side.

Very expensive places along Highway 1 to stay would be Highlands Inn, Tickle Pink Hotel, or Ventana Inn. Thus, the suggestion to get the night on the beach further down south in Cambria is a good one.

The reason to stay in Cambria is to visit Hearst Castle. If you do not plan to see Hearst Castle, then you can spend the night in a beach hotel somewhere near Morro Bay (which includes the Beach towns: Avila, Shell, Pismo).

have fun and Welcome to California!

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 08:49 AM

Hello!

We just returned from a family trip in SF & Monterey/Carmel. Daughters: 21 & 14, and son: 17. It was wonderful! We really wanted it to be fun for them, since all their friends were going to the beach for Spring Break, and they were not too sure about San Fran. They all came home happy, and felt they saw some very cool things.

Some favourites:

*17 mile Drive - I don't know about Cambria, so perhaps it's not necessary, but we all loved it. But only if you are doing it during the day. You drive right through a private neighborhood of fabulous homes, there are spots where you can stop & look at ocean views & take pictures, and it goes right to Pebble Beach Golf Course, which is public but costs 425.00 per round! We went to the lodge & the 18th hole & the gift shops. (We are golfers) We ended up at Carmel, which was right where we wanted to be.

*49 mile drive in SF - awesome! You can do as much or little as you like. Try to get a map from your hotel, so if you miss a sign, you won't lose the route. Every bit of that was lovely. So nice to see all the architecture. It is well laid out so that #1, turn here, turn there, and #2 at every turn is a new sight.

The nice thing about the drives are no deadline - a relaxing time with no rushing and just taking it all in.

*If you are going to Alcatraz, be sure to get tickets ahead online. We were unsure of our schedule, so waited & couldn't get tickets.

*Monterey-stayed at the Monterey Marriott, on Fodorites advice. It was 199.00, and just a regular room with 2 double beds & a cot. It was fine. I think if you pay 229.00 you get an ocean view. Right near the wharf, & downtown restaurants. Ate at Lallapallooza on the main drag-we all liked that.

Have a great time!

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 10:26 PM

Depending on what your teenagers are into-they may enjoy dirty, old Haight Ashbury district-it has some interesting shopping, etc. for teens. We just did Alcatraz last year and it was a very informative and interesting tour by the park district (book ahead-fun boat ride over there-can be COLD). Forget Muir Woods-no time for that and in the wrong direction. Carmel Village is much nicer and more relaxed than Monterey but the Aquarium is nice (check out the great white shark). 17 Mile Drive is beautiful and the greens are especially nice next to the ocean-well worth the drive and few $$ to enter the Del Monte Forest at least once in your life.

The drive south of Carmel to Cambria is amazing but make sure you drive it in daylight. It will take longer than you think as it is quite windy and follows the cliff so be careful. As you leave Big Sur you will pass Nepenthe or something like that-cute little earthy NorCal shop on the right side of road-there is a little cafe but the views are nice and you can stretch your legs or buy a souvenier or something. Deetjen's looks like fun if you don't stay in Cambria (woodsy) but once there you have to drive to most things and the drive is windy and treacherous so check in and plan to stick around-maybe a little hike.

For total budget killing niceties you can stay at The Post Ranch Inn or The Ventana in Big Sur, otherwise...
(Ragged Point Inn on the way down sounds nice but had copper colored aligator patterned vinyl tablecloths so beware-just stop at the little market for a soda and candy bar-you are almost to San Simeon.
In San Simeon, Best Western Cavallier has oceanfront rooms but you have to ask for the ones in the front (King's Row or something like that). Nothing down here is too fancy so don't expect Four Seasons. Upstairs is preferred over downstairs-better views. Room comes w/binoc use and we have seen elephant seals from there along w/some surfers. They also have a couple outside fireplaces along the ocean bluff. They light them and there are chairs you can sit at bundled up and watch the stars and ocean (bring some wine! and relax). The next morning, just North of San Simeon, a few miles up the road you can view the elephant seal colony for free (there is a little parking lot along Hwy. 1)(http://www.elephantseal.org) before or after you see Hearst Castle, which is amazing. Cambria is just a few miles south of the castle and if you don't stay at the Cavallier then Moonstone Beach is where you want to be. Although the motels there are along the ocean road they are built sideways so they are not all facing the ocean so if you stay there you have to specifically request to be in the very front, "oceanfront. Fog Catcher Inn(http://www.fogcatcherinn.com)was redone and is unusually inexpensive-we stayed in the front room and it was clean and nicely decorated. Their free breakfast is better than most w/fresh eggs & salsa and hot biscuits and gravy. Some of the places on Moonstone are old so beware.

Morro Bay and Hearst Castle sounds like way too much in one day-Cambria is relaxing so go with the flow and do just that. Morro Bay has a big rock to look at but it is a little seedy, I think. For adventure I know people who have rented a Hummer and cruised the sand dunes they have there-looked like a lot of fun if that is what you are after, otherwise relax in Cambria and drive to LA later. Santa Barbara is nice too (Montecito homes...wow). Universal Studios may be fun for kids and you see some of the studio bldgs. The City Walk is right there too w/lots of restaurants, movie theatres, etc. all in one locale. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 01:51 PM

Re: <Tuesday: Get an early start and get to Muir Woods before 10 am. Leave there and stop at Santa Cruz for the boardwalk. Stay in Monterey or Carmel for the night.>

You should go to Big Basin Redwoods State Park rather than Muir Woods. That would save you a lot of time, and you'd see bigger redwoods and have less crowds. You could go there either once you've reached Santa Cruz or on the way. Take Hwy 9 to Hwy 236 to the park headquarters, right in the heart of the redwoods. These are the best redwoods anywhere within 200 miles of San Francisco.