Reload this Page >

Please Advise - NYC - Questions/Central Park/ Restaurants/Entertainment

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 09:23 AM
Jen

Going to NYC in the Fall - Can anyone tell me if there are certain areas of Central Park to avoid? Unsafe, dirty areas...places where a 30ish single woman should just not travel alone. Also, do women generally wear cocktail dresses when out in the evening hours? Are pantsuits (Black, I Know!) acceptable? Can anyone suggest a few nice, unpretentious resteraunts and good places to see musicians/bands? What is the best time of day to tour SOHO and Greenwich Village? Anything exciting happening at night? Thanks in advance for your advice/opinion.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 09:34 AM
topper

Just a way to get the tread going:

Author: Caitlin ([email protected])
Date: 7/19/2001, 1:32 pm ET

Message: Jen, stick to the southern and central parts of Central Park (below 96th St), especially adjacent to the museums, and do not walk anywhere in the park alone in the early morning or at dusk or after, just to be on the safe side. At other times you will find plenty of company. No, women do not wear cocktail dresses out at night, unless headed to a specific andformal destination. They wear well-cut pants and nice but sophisticated skirts or dresses. In a cocktail dress you would feel distictly overdressed, especially at 30ish. Stick to dark colors, as has been noted, and you'll be comfortable. The best time to visit the Village and Soho depends on your agenda. Obviously, if you want to shop, go during the day. For people watching, anytime. Both areas have many bars, clubs, lounges, and restaurants for an evening scene. The bar and cafe scene is bustling but more laid back in the East Village. Best casual places to see live music are bars and small clubs; check citysearch.com, timeout.com, and villagevoice.com for listings, or when you're here, pick up the Village Voice (free) or Time Out New York (not) for listings. Unless at a true neighborhood bar, expect drinks to be pricey. For restaurants, what kind of food do you like? We have it all. Neighborhood restaurants and ones that serve food at the bar are best bets for feeling comfortable dining alone. Say something about what kind of food, prices, and neighborhood you want, and I'll offer some recommendations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 09:46 AM
Jen

Thanks for the info Caitlin! I now know what to wear and won't feel out of place. I enjoy Italian, American, French, & Chinese food. I do like to try new foods so any suggestions for resteraunts would be appreciated. I would like to try to Spend between $10-$15 for lunch and no more than $45 for dinner. Let me know if you can suggest any good resteraunts that may not be in Zagets. Thanks!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 09:49 AM
tommy

Jen-In C.P. stick to the well worn paths - my favorite areas are the Sheep Meadow, the area around the Bethesda Fountain, at Zoo area, and Strawberry Fields. Definitely avoid the wooded areas - even in the southern end of the park - know as the Rambles.

Again, this is my opinion, but I prefer Soho and the Village during the week, rather than on the weekend. During the day, especially early in the day, is great to stroll admiring the architecture or shopping. On the weekends, these neighborhoods tend to be overcrowded with out of town revelers, and the true atmosphere of these neighborhoods is obscured by the crowds of not always polite (or sober) people.

Casual good restaurants that I like in the Village are Grano for Italian and Cafe Loup for French.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 10:01 AM
Lizzie

Jen, Tell us where you're staying and I'll be happy to recommend a few restaurants. The above poster is correct about avoiding the Village/Soho areas on the weekends - I live in Soho and try to avoid the area at all costs on Saturdays and Sundays! But I do really enjoy strolling those streets before anyone is awake and out - they're pretty unjammed up until 11 or so on a weekend morning.

Black pantsuits will be fine.

I like Bistro des Amis in Soho for dinner, Maison on the Upper East Side is terrific, there's a place in the Village called Pearl Oyster Bar that would be fun for you and fine for dining alone, whether for lunch or dinner. And make sure to go to Magnolia Bakery for delicious cake, cupcakes, and ice cream now, served from a cart on their sidewalk! Le Zinc, in Tribeca, was terrific. Love Le Tableau, which is in the East Village and very reasonable.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 10:15 AM
tommy

Yes, I totally agree with you, Lizzie, about Pearl Oyster Bar. I understand that Pearl was owned by a couple that has since split, and the one that didnt get custody of Pearl opened her own restaurant called Mary's Fish House or something like that. Have you heard of it or tried it out Lizzie? I'm very curious.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 10:22 AM
John

Hi Jen:

I jog in CP about 2x week. The park is very safe in the daylight. Stay on the paths along the road and you will be fine. My favorite spot is "Bow" Bridge"
As you face the "Bethesda Fountain" you will see a trail that goes along the water on the left. That trail will lead you to the bridge. Look across the lake and you will see a bldg with 3 triangles on the top. That is the Dakota House of John Lennon Fame!
JOHN

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 11:33 AM
Jen

Thanks to everyone! I appreciate your opinions! I will make it a point not to go to the Village or SOHO on the weekends. I have not yet decided where to stay in NYC. I was thinking Times Square because it seems like a Central location. However, besides the touristy sights, I want to see the NYC where people live and work. I plan to spend probably 5-7 days, so I will have time to relax and enjoy the culture of NYC. Any suggestions for Hotels (not more than $250/night) would be appreciated. Also, I read that the subways are safe to take up until 11pm or so, even for a woman traveling alone?

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Caitlin

You should absolutely feel safe taking the subways on your own until 11 pm. Some lines will be safe even after that on some days, but for your peace of mind, especially if you have had a drink or two, a cab home at night will not cost a lot. You have a plethora of hotels to choose from in your price range all over the city. I suggest starting out by reading both the Rants and Raves section on this site and the recent NY Magazine review of newer hotels under $200; go to www.newyorkmag.com and enter hotels in the search box and it will come up.

Mary's Fish Camp is the other place referred to above. Expect to pay $25-30 for food and a drink there or at Pearl Oyster Bar, and expect to wait at dinner, as they're both quite small with mostly ba seating. If you're here during fair weather, garden dining is great; in the East Village, try Miracle Grill (Southwestern) for brunch or lunch and Mooza for dinner; both have great gardens in back. Look to citysearch.com for more up-to-date dining info than Zagat. A couple of really popular places, like Union Square Cafe and Gramercy Tavern, are great places to eat at the bar without reservations. In Chinatown, I'D recommend NY Noodletown and New Green Bo for dinner; sometimes Chinatown restaurants will want you to share a table if you're alone. If you're willing to swap your lunch and dinner budgets on some days, you can eat at some of the city's best restaurants, which have great deals for lunch. For instance, the $20.01 lunch at Gotham Bar and Grill (www.gothambarandgrill.com) and the $35 five-course tasting lunch at Bouley Bakery (www.bouley.com); you'll need reservations. For more along these lines, go to www.restaurantweek.com and look for the places with asterisks, whih have $20.01 lunches through Labor Day or all year. You won't have a lot of choice on the menu, but it's a great way to try some great restaurants affordably.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 04:41 PM
Virginia

The Miracle Grill, which has a nice garden, also serves food at the bar and many people (relatively speaking, it is an 8-seat bar)eat there; bartenders are nice, you can talk to them & usually to other people. (forget it on weekends.& it's super-crowded in summer from 8 on. Tho I don't mind waiting around.)

Funky Broome is a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown not yet in Zagat's (I think)--176 Mott Street.

In the East Village, the block of Indian restaurants between 1st & 2nd Avenues on 6th Street is fun to see (there are at least 30 of them) and they're inexpensive. Many shops nearby are open late--on 1st & 2nd Avenues, and on 7th, 8th, and 9th Streets between 2nd Avenue and Avenue A. Back From Guatemala, near the Indian restaurants, is open until 11 or 12, and it's a very enjoyable shop.

Another good restaurant is Caravan of Dreams, 6th St between First and A. Sometimes there is someone in there playing music. It's friendly and fine to go to alone. Wear anything (this goes for whole East Village)

You didn't say you liked Japanese food, but sushi bars are another nice place to eat alone. Japnica on University & 12th Street is nice, I recommend lunch special,it's expensive at dinner.

You're not getting specific advice about nightlife because there are literally thousands of places to go--look in Time Out, as has been suggested. Or tell us what kind if place you're looking for and maybe someone (probably not me) will know--do you want to hear a particular kind of music? Do you hope to meet guys your age? If so, what kind (like, business/law types, or art types, or musicians, etc.)?

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 04:44 PM
rqf

The article that is referred to in New YOrk magazine mentions the Belleclaire at W. 77th and Broadway. Also mentioned is the Olcott on 72nd just west of Central Park West, across the street from the Dakota mentioned in another note..It is housed in a very substantial looking pre WWII building. The Habitat was a third mentioned - located on E.. 57th and Lexington. Has shared bath and also private bath rooms. Have read quite a number of favorable comments on this hotel and only one unfavorable. The fourth mentioned was the Broadway Inn at W.46th and 8th Avenue. This is a four story walk up building. Have read a couple of favorable reviews. This place is closest to the theaters and Times Square. The Belleclaire and the Olcott are on the upper west side - a residential area. There is a hotel on the upper west side that constantly receives good reviews. It is the Beacon on Broadway and W. 75t. The Edison on W. 47th between Broadway and 8th is a hotel in your price range that has received a number of favorable comments.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 07:46 PM
patty

If you want to stay in NY where people live & work, then the above mentioned hotels located on the Upper West Side would be great. A couple I know recently stayed at another West Side hotel - the Lucerne - and enjoyed it and the location. For casual restaurants on the UWS, just walk up and down Amsterdam, Columbus and Broadway. We like La Grolla on Amsterdam & 80th (and close to the Lucerne) for Italian, Popover's & EJ's Luncheonette for lunch/brunch, Avenue for French bistro & lunch and Rain, Ruby Foo's and Dan Tempura House for Asian food. And for a real New York experience, get some lox or blintzes at Barney Greengrass or a couple of hot dogs and papaya drink at Gray's Papaya on 72nd & Broadway.

Although I am always one for safety, I have to put in a word for Central Park above 96th Street, mostly because I have a bugaboo about folks using 96th St as some kind of line of demarcation in NY. Now, there may not be anything interesting to you in upper Central Park, but if you like gardens...Conservatory Garden at 105th Street and Fifth Ave is beautiful and there's a one-hour (free) tour given at 11am on Saturdays in July, August & Sept. Meet inside the Gate at 105th & Fifth. And there's free concerts (Harlem Meer Performances) at 110th St and Fifth Ave on Sundays at 4pm - it's at the Charles Dana Center, outdoors, near the Meer, or lake. But I realize that this series ends before Labor Day so you'll probably miss it. Have fun!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 04:23 AM
Sam

Topping!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Caitlin

Sorry, that URL should be www.bouley.net (not .com). According to friends who stayed there last summer, the Belleclaire has very small rooms and is a bit worn. They wouldn't pay anything over $90 for it, was their assessment.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 10:07 AM
Grover

Jen-
I just stayed at a hotel on the East Side (Gramercy Park area) that was great and well within your price range. The Marcel, 201 E 24th, phone (210) 696-3800 or 1-877-66-HOTEL for reservations. The brochure in the lobby states it is part of the Amsterdam Hospitality Group that also operates 5 other hotels in NYC, but I've only stayed at the Marcel. Feels like a European boutique place. Rooms are spotless, not huge but bigger than some, very comfortable and furnished in very cool modern way. Continental breakfast was included, and free coffee/cappucino bar in the lobby 24/7. Closest subway is only 3 or 4 blocks, loads of neighborhood shops/restaurants.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Jen

Thanks for the information! Please keep it coming, as I have yet to make any BIG decisions! Thanks again!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 11:58 AM
Nancy

Jen- I was just surfing about interesting off beat tours in NYC and found a Greenwich Village: Food &Culture Off The Beaten Path tour that I think is offered daily and is only $30. Go to imar.com and click on tours. Under the comments section, a tour taker said that they wished they had taken this tour on the first day they were in New York so they would have known where to go to eat. Maybe you could take this in the fall and check out some good eats in the Village!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 01:52 PM
Caitlin

I can vouch for the ease and safety of the neighborhood where the Marcel is, as I live nearby. It's not a hip neighborhood, and the restaurants are okay for neighborhood but not the best to be found. But it is 3 blocks from the eastside subway line, an easy walk or quick trainride to the East Village, very close to the very happening Park Ave South/Union Square/Flatiron restaurant and bar scene, and an easy point from which to get to midtown, museums, etc. Plus, there are lots of amenities--drug and grocery stores, ATMs, movie theaters--in the neighborhood and a bunch of fun local pubs and bars.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 06:31 PM
em

There is a new hotel just off central park west on 71st street--i think its a comfort inn but may be a quality inn.
Its very small, in a great and safe 'hood near all forms of transportation and near columbus ave which is lots of fun.
The rooms are said--by someone i know who stayed there--to be small, simple but clean and staff helpful and friendly. Its very cheap for a ny hotel.
I used to live near the Marcel and now live on central park west. Believe me, you will have much more fun in the west 70s. BTW, wherever you stay I would play it safe and take a taxi if returning home after 10pm. Enjoy!

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 07:43 AM
Topping

Topping!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -