Planning Trip to Maine, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and New Hampshir

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I and my wife are going on trip on Friday August 7. We are going from New York to Bar Harbor, Me for 3 nights, then we are taking CAT Ferry to Yarmouth, NS and driving to Halifax for 2 nights, then to St.John NB for 2 nights and North Conway NH for 2 nights.
We are planning :
Day 1 - driving from NY to Bar Harbor, Me with Stop in Ogunquit.
Day 2 - NAtional Park Akadia, going around on Loop road with stopping on scenic view.
Day 3 - Eagle Lake and maybe Mount Desert for Sunset
Day 4 - Ferry, driving on south road to Halifax, with stopping in Lunnenburgh, Mahon Bay and Peggy Cove.
Day 5 - Explore the Halifax
Day 6 - Go to Hopwell Rock for lowest tide(11-12am) and Drive to St. John
Day 7 - Still is uncertain, as I understand it's not much to see in st.John
But we are planning to see Reversing waterfall at afternoon and on the morning
Day 8 - going to North Conway, NH
Day 9 - Mount Washington and White Mountains National Park
Day 10 - go home to NY

I'll appreciate if anybody give me advice for day 6 from Hopwell Rock to st.John, could we see or stop in some interesting places, we are preferred nature then museums.

Day 7 is still not filling.
Day 8 will be driving but we'd like to make some good stops.
Day 10 - maybe on the way to home we are still can stop in some nice to see places.

Thanks in advance.
We accept any advices and tips and maybe we need making some corrections in our itinerary.

Vadim.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 02:35 AM

It's a long drive from NY to Bar Harbor. The stop in Ogunquit will be very nice. Rt 1 thru Wiscasset and Camden has some pretty areas but you are probably staying on Rt 95 for speed. We take picnic gear and bag chairs with us so we spend less time driving and more time enjoying the view. (Top of Mt Battie in Camden requires fee on auto road but the view is worth it.) When you study your maps look for wildlife preserve areas. Check at a store or restaurant about how accessible it is. A few weeks ago we found a lovely small beach with just a few families enjoying it.

The area of Nova Scotia you'll be exploring is beautiful. Although the beaches around the Bay of Fundy are rugged, you can do some great rock collecting. If you're lucky you might find a rock with fossils. We enjoyed beach combing for interesting rocks. Look for fresh peach juice in stores and tea rooms. There's an area of beaches between New Brunswick and PEI/Nova Scotia where the water is very warm because of the Gulf Stream. If you want to swim in the ocean, it would be a great opportunity.

Places in the White Mountains are fun but you may want to check trail conditions if you plan any hikes. We've had a very rainy summer. Also, popular swimming spots along the Kancamangus etc have become dangerous due to high, fast water. Water levels on local rivers are like spring highs. Check out Squam Lakes Science Center in Holderness between the mountains and Lake Winnipesaukee.

An alternate route back to NY from NH would be to take Rt 93 to Rt 293 (highway divides after the Hooksett Toll Booth, stay to the left) to Rt 3/Everett Turnpike to Rt 101 thru Peterborough (very pretty town) to head to Keene. Head to Brattleboro VT, get on Rt 91 south to Hartford CT. This goes thru rural, western MA. There's a lot of traffic around Hartford but otherwise it shouldn't be bad.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 05:30 AM

Any way to include this?

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ns/cbreton/index_e.asp

Extend or re-route itinerary?
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys!
But I think that Camden and Cape Breton are not filling our itinerary.
I'm still in researching process for some unfilling days.

vadim.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:13 AM

when we took the cat ferry to Yarmouth, we found we did not have enough time for Lunenburg, Mahone bay AND Peggy's Cove. It took longer to get off the ferry and through customs on the Canadian side, and driving was slow on the scenic road. We stopped for lunch in Shelburned, stopped in Lunenburg for about an hour, and it was 4PM or so by the time we drove through Mahone bay and shops were closing. So if you really want to get to Peggy's cove, you may have to consider skipping the others.

In Acadia, you mean Cadillac Mountain for sunset. It's a great stop.

In the area around St John/Bay of Fundy, you could go to Cape Enrage (lighthouse and views), and the salt flats to see the birds (name escapes me). There are also some nice short hikes in Bay of Fundy national park. Assuming it's not pouring rain of course.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM
LJ

Your days 4, 5 and 6 do not really work...you will be exhausted from driving. The Lighthouse route up the south shore of NS AFTER crossing on the CAT doesn't really make sense for one day. This is a very long drive to NS to then spend less than 48 hours in this beautiful place.The the Hopewell Rocks part is dependent on tides and its a 5 hour drive from Hali.

Why not post the back half of your itinerary in the Canada Forum for more specific insights? (And, no way can you add on Cape Breton...that would need another 3-4 days).
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks china_cat for advices. I looked again on the map and find out that I can drive from Hopewell Rock thru Cape Enrage and Fundy National Park. Probably it will be more excite drive.