Planning trip to Bryce, Zion & GC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am flying to Vegas in July and want to visit the following: Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion. Will be going for 10 days. We like to hike. Is it possible to squeeze in Lake Powell? What would be the best order to visit these parks.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 03:52 PM
ljv

Hi Hipster!
I guess the routing depends on you're mode of travel. If driving from Vegas, you'll do the GC first.probably the north rim. When I went, we flew into Phoenix and drove up to the south rim, Did not go into Utah on that trip.
From the north rim, you're closest to Zion. We stayed in Springdale and did daily drives /hikes into the park. Zion is amazing-there are two very distinct sections of the park with very different terrain. Make sure you see both!
Two hikes i can personally recommend:
1. The Virgin river..you literally hike up river in the water. As you go further up the river canyon, the passage becomes more narrow.
2. The Hidden Canyon trail..trail ascends via a series of switchbacks, then "opens up" to the hidden canyon. Do not do this if you have a fear of heights...the view is dizzying!
On the other side are a series of mesas that you can hike up.
From Zion we drove to Lake Powell and rented a powerboat for about $250/day. Our intent was to cruise up to rainbow bridge, but we got pretty lost, even with a map. We did have a great time exploring all the little coves we ended up in. You'll use up 2 of your days going to LP and I don't think hiking is too accessible in the Escalante desert.
Bryce is not too distant from Zion. We spent 2 nights here and did some phenomenal hiking, as well as took in a small, local rodeo.
Unless you can extend your trip, I would suggest eliminating Lake Powell and focus on the hiking opportunities at Zion and Bryce, with the emphasis on Zion. (IMHO!)
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 03:58 PM

The routes with the least backtracking would be:
1. If you are going to the south rim: GC, Zion, Bryce.
2. If you are going to the north rim: Zion, GC, Bryce.

In either case, coming out of Bryce on the way back to LV, you might want to spend a couple of hours (more time if you like to hike) exploring Cedar Breaks Nat'l Monument, off Utah Hwy 14 between Bryce Canyon and Cedar City.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. We are going to the South Rim. Seems like the GC should be our first stop. Still not sure of Lake Powell.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 06:28 PM

If I had 10 days, this is what I would do.

Day 1 Drive to South Rim. Walk around on the rim trail and take in a few scenic overlooks.

Day 2 Explore South Rim either by hiking a short way into the canyon or hiking along the rim and riding the free shuttle buses to Hermit's Point.

Day 3 Exit the park on Hwy 64 towards the Desest View vistor center. Stop at several of the scenic overlooks. The views of the Grand Canyon change as you near Desert View. As you exit the park you will be treated to a panoramic view of the surrounding area. Drive north on hwy 89 to Page, AZ and Lake Powell. It's on the way, so you don't have to miss it. Do the 3/4 mile hike to Horseshoe Bend and the 1 1/2 hour Upper Antelope Canyon Tour.

Day 4 do either the 1/2 day float trip on the Colorado River or a day trip on Lake Powell to Rainbow Bridge National Monument.

Day 5 Drive to Bryce on Hwy 89 to Hwy 12 and enter Bryce Canyon. Walk along the rim and catch the sunset.

Day 6 Explore and hike in Bryce. My favorite is the combination Navajo - Queen's Garden Loop. Take the scenic drive.

Day 7 Drive the short 86 miles to Zion National Park by back tracking on Hwy 89 to enter Zion on Hwy 9. This way you will drive thru the Checkerboard Mesa and Tunnel.

Day 8 Explore & Hike in Zion
Day 9 Zion

There are plenty of great hikes in Zion. My favorites are the Riverside Walk to the Narrows. If you wear shoes that you don't mind getting wet, you can go into the Narrows for a while. The Emerald Pools & Weeping Rock.

Day 10 drive the 3 hours back to Las Vegas.

Utahtea