Planning my 2nd NYC trip!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone again! I'm back because want to take another trip to NYC at the end of August. I conquered my fears and visited NYC last May by myself. I only went for 2 nights so I didn't get to see/do everything I wanted. But I had a blast, that is why I want to go again. I have to plan between my school's quarters (mccneb.edu) and besides, thanks to this board I've discovered that prices go up in September. I went to the hotel I was looking at, and changed the month to September, and sure enough the prices went up! I was thinking that I will want to spend at least one day at museums to beat the heat. But I also want to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, something I wanted to do last time but didn't. I've also thought about doing a hop on hop off tour, and going to see the tenement museum. The last time I went, day one was spent going to the top of the rock (breathtaking view!), then walked down 5th avenue (went inside the trump tower!), then walking through central park to Strawberry Fields (surreal! and who puts the flowers down every day???), then I took a cab down to the Stanten Island ferry, did that then I took the subway back to my hotel and ate dinner at an excellent Mexican restaurant around the corner. The first half of day 2 was spent visiting the statue of liberty and Ellis island, then I just walked downtown, to ground zero, then I went back to my hotel for a nap (I was exhausted!), then I went to times square to walk around a bit, then I watched a broadway show, then back to the hotel (hmmm can't remember where I had dinner lol). The 3rd day before I had to leave for the airport I just went to Chinatown and got me a couple of fake Doonie and Burke purses. But now that I think back, I would not have wasted so much time at times square and the broadway show. I also spent a lot of time just trying to figure out the subway system to get where I was going, but I'll be better at it this next time I go. A couple of websites that really helped me a lot to plan my trip before I got there was menupages.com and hopstop.com, which I found from you guys on this board!!

Another thing that helped me save loads of time was to purchase my circle line ticket for the statue of liberty/ellis island ferry on the website. When I got to Battery Park the morning of, I was there an hour before the ticket place opened, and already there was a line that went around the building. I decided I didn't want to wait in line and instead I sat on the park benches and shared my breakfast with the birds. Once they opened the doors I was able to walk right in and go straight to the willcall booth, where there were 3 of us in line (I was #2). I also had printed off the page from the website when I purchased the ticket, so that when I got there a lady came out of the office and I handed it to her, so that when I got up to the window they handed it to me and off I went. Probably didn't take more then 5 minutes. Now the line for the security was another story, but at least I made it on to the first ferry lol.

I can't wait to go again, I love nyc!!

I'll be staying at the same hotel I did last time - The Pod Hotel (formerly pickwick arms http://www.thepodhotel.com/). The rooms are tiny but they are clean, modern, free wifi, and only a block from the subway station. Also the neighborhood is wonderful, with all sorts of restaurants just around the corner. Only one subway stop from Grand Central. A single bed room is $109/night, you share a bathroom. Double bed room is $159/night and you get your own bathroom. Last time I got the double room because I wasn't sure about the whole sharing a bathroom thing, but while I was there I took a peak at the shared bathrooms and they were very clean, and also any time I walked down the hall I never ran into anyone.

So anyway, I'll probably be around for a while, planning my next trip!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 02:44 AM

What show did you see that you thought was wasted time?

If it's hot weather, the hop on/off tour will be very uncomfortable sitting upstairs in the heat of the sun. Kingofnyc.com or nypartyshuttle.com are in smaller a/c buses.

Sounds like you need a boat cruise of some sort. Circle Line is the most popular but there are also
nywaterway.com
nywatertaxi.com has a hop on/off ticket
sail-nyc.com
shearwatersailing.com

The foodsofny.com tour is very popular.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:47 AM
GoTravel

stp, one tip; break your paragraphs up. One big one is hard to read.

I totally understand the 'wasted' time thing with the Broadway Play. They do take up a bunch of time.

One thing I really enjoy is the double decker tour bus. You really do see everything.

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Hey StrawberryRhPie.....enjoyed your trip report.....and I'm envious that you're heading back. I did an alone NYC trip this past March, (also with beaucoup de tips from fellow fodorites!) so your post was fun to read. Altho, being a theatre buff, I did 4 nites of theatre, and would do it again. The main reason I'm writing is to say a THANK YOU for the pod hotel info and website. I'm definitely going to look into that for next time! That's a first for me....never heard of it! I also saved your Circle/Ellis island tip.....Looking forward to your next report! and I'm looking forward to fitting in MY next NYC trip.....Thanks again! Colette
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

mclaurie, thanks for the tips! I hate the heat so an AC bus sounds like the way to go.

The broadway show I went to see was the Pirate Queen. It wasn't bad, it just didn't blow my socks off. I have seen better traveling shows that have come here to Omaha. I got tickets to that one only because they were cheap, I think I only spent $46. And besides, I'm not a HUGE broadway show fan, I just wanted the experience of going to a show on broadway!

A boat cruise sounds great, thanks for that tip too! And I have heard of the taste of ny tour, I will have to check that out.

Thanks everyone! And I promise to break up my paragraphs better next time LOL!

I can't wait, a roundtrip ticket is only $241 for me right now!

Jen

p.s. Collette, I'm so glad I could pass on some good tips, here's another one: do a search on this board using key words, for example 'ellis island' or 'tour' or 'restaurants'. I found a TON of information this way!

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 06:16 PM

Your report was great; your enthusiasm for the city is just wonderful.

One suggestion to save time and money; at the subway machines you can buy an all day ticket for $7....I get more done and see more when I ride public transportation.

Enjoy your next trip.