Reload this Page >

PLANNING A FALL TRIP TO BOSTON/SALEM AREA

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2001, 07:43 AM
TINA ROBINSON

CURRENTLY OUR FAMILY IS PLANNING A TRIP TO MASSACHUSETTS IN THE FIRST WEEK OF OCTOBER. WE WANT TO STAY EITHER IN BOSTON OR SALEM AREA-BUT EVERYTHING IS SO EXPENSIVE.WE ARE ALSO TAKING A 3 YEAR OLD AND 14 YEAR OLD ALONG WITH US SO WE LIKE SUITE ACCOMODATIONS THE BEST-IT IS MORE COMFORTABLE-WE HAVE A FAMILY SUITE ON HOLD AT THE SALEM INN FOR $235 P/NT OR WE CAN STAY IN PEABODY AT THE HOMEWOOD SUITES FOR $84.50 P/NT-IS SALEM A GOOD PLACE TO STAY OUT OF THE HUSTLE AND BUSTLE OF THE CITY OR IS IS TOO MUCH OF A CHEESY TOURIST TRAP?I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO VISIT THE ARE AROUND HALLOWEEN AND IN THE FALL-ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO SEE OR WHERE TO GO/WHERE TO STAY LET ME KNOW.

Old May 14th, 2001, 11:20 AM
paula

Salem is a fine place to stay out of the hustle and bustle. Yes, it is touristy and there are many options for your stay somewhere between the two destinations. Anywhere in Boston proper will be pricey. Along Rte. 95 there are quite a few hotels that cater to busiess travelers who don't want to stay in the city.

It is a great tiem to visit Gloucester and Rockport - usually the beginning of October is still quite warm, so the oceanfront sites are still okay. The Museum of Science in Boston is great for both age ranges. Your 114 yearold will love the Omni Theater, and there are lots of hands on exhibits for little guys. Te NE Aquarium is good too, though the parking will kill you. If oyu can use pubic transportation at all, do so. The T is vey user friendly. Definitely take in the USS Constitution and a walk around Faneuil Hall is a must. Pricy shopping, but fun to look.

Best of all - take a Duck Tour! These are amphibious vehicles which give you a guided tour of the city and then drive right into the Charles River!!!!!

Old May 14th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Mike

Salem is fun at Halloween and the preceeding week but is also VERY CHEESY TOURISTY. It's fun to be able to put costumes on and run around the street and not be out of line. The kids would love it.

I've stayed at a Courtyard in Stoughton, South of Boston on 95, reasonable but I don't know about suites.

Old May 14th, 2001, 01:02 PM
mark

Salem is a cool city for tourists and natives. Yes it has cheesey stores and museums but thats part of the fun. It also has solid historic museums. It gets very very crowded at Halloween. Personally I would avoid it on the 31st.

Peabody is a fine town to live in or shop in but as a visitor it wouldn't really offer much except a room.

As for prices do your homework. As someone else mentioned many of the North Shore hotels cater to the business travelor so may be able to find weekend deals.

Old May 17th, 2001, 11:44 AM
clay

My wife and I went to Boston and north last October. We stayed two days/nights in Boston. Drove through Salem--nice, but touristy.

We enjoyed a night at the Cape Anne Motor Lodge just outside Gloucester. We could just almost feel the ocean spray from our second-floor room. It was that close to the beach. We also had the best seafood chowder in the universe just down the road from the hotel. Someone there could tell you the name I'm sure. There are four cities right there--Gloucester, Cape Anne, and I apologize, but I don't remember the names of the other two--but they're all cool. We had a wonderful drive while lost there (seriously, it was one great sight after another).

We went to Freeport, Maine, staying in a nice little b-n-b there for three days. Every day we just drove "that-a-way" and had a ball getting into who knows what every day. (Eat a lobster right--I mean right--out of the ocean at Pemaquid Point.)

Enjoy.