Visiting Sequoia and Kings Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH and myself are going to visit Sequoia and Kings Canyon. How many days do we need to see both parks? I can get rooms in either Stony Creek or Grant Grove Village. Which is the better location? Should we stay in two different places?

Thanks

Melissa
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 04:28 PM

Depends on what you want to do.
Hiking-2 days to 2 months

There is whitewater rafting, Caving, Canyoneering. In the winter there is snowshoeing, cross country skiing, and snowplay areas.

What month are you going? How much hiking do you want to do? Some people are happy with seeing The General Sherman Tree, General Grant Tree, and Moro Rock. That isn't even scratching the surface. The longer you stay, the more you will like it.

I like Wuksachi Lodge. There is also a back country lodge that some people like called Bearpaw.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

We are going this June for our 30th anniversary. I am somewhat disabled and can maybe hike a round trip of 1 mile. So with that in mind, is there enough to do to one day in each park? I cannot get Wuksachi Lodge , so Stony Creek or Grant Grove Village is what I have to choose from

Thanks for information
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 05:28 PM

Wuksachi is full already? People cancel all the time, so you could keep trying right up until you arrive(as long as you can cancel your other one).

If you aren't able to do that much, then yes 1 or 2 days would be enough. There are plenty of viewpoints and a walk thru the Giant Forest is certainly doable. Giant Forest Museum is free and worth a stop. The General Sherman tree isn't very far at all to walk. A lot of the trees around it are in a fairly flat area, so there is no elevation gain here really-meaning it is an easy stroll.

I have been to Sequoia, Yosemite and The Redwoods. The trees at Sequoia are most stunning. You just can't grasp their size until you see them for yourself. The tree in front of the Museum is totally amazing(and it isn't even the biggest one). At the Redwoods, there are more trees and taller trees, but they don't have the girth that the Sequoias have. I think I like the drive thu the Redwoods better, but nothing beats standing right next to a Sequoia. Do feel how squishy the bark is(very sponge-like)and then realize that the bark is 2-3 feet thick.

I can't remember if any of the meadows are much of a hike or not. I'm sure others will weigh in with ideas.

There is limited parking at some spots, you can take the shuttle or get up really early to beat the crowds. A picnic lunch somewhere along the way is always great.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 05:38 PM

You might take a look at the cave tour.
http://www.sequoiahistory.org/default.asp?contentid=691

You might enjoy some of the ranger-led talks/programs. Some of these involve a lot of hiking, other little to none at all.

Zumwalt Meadows might be a good one for you.

Big Trees Trail is another.

Moro Rock is short but some serious stairs on this one.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/dayhikes.htm

There is also horseback riding if you are up for that.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. The cave tour looks neat but the hike to the cave entrance is too much for me.