places to stay in Austin

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 07:34 AM
Lynn

places to stay in Austin

I'm headed to Austin for a three day weekend soon, and would love some recommendations on where to stay. We prefer funkier, unique hotels. Something in the Hill Country would be cool too, but something near the music scene is something we'd also consider. Plus, we are looking for something less than $200 a night. Privacy and quality room is key. A veiw wouldn't hurt either.
Has anyone stayed at the San Jose Motel? or Vintage Villas?
Thanks so much,
Lynn

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 11:34 AM
John

It's not cool or funky or even unique, but I always stay at the Omni Austin because of its downtown location. The Four Seasons and Stephen F. Austin Intercontinental may be two other good upscale choices.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 01:28 PM
steve

the driskill hotel right near the music
may be the place to stay

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 07:33 AM
texasgirl

the san jose is really cool _ kind of like a slightly downscale W without the attitude. great location near Guero's Taco Bar, El Sol y La Luna, (great mexican breakfast) and the continental club, for music, plus some funky boutiques.

the driskill is beautiful, especially after the renovation, but is kind of like any upscale hotel. might be a little stuffy, depending on the crowd that weekend. it IS right next to sixth street though, if you are wanting to do that.

if you want to go into the hill country, there is a lodge called inn at onion creek that's very nice, maybe 30-40 minutes outside austin? it would be more private than others...

have a great time...

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 07:58 AM
jhm

I stayed at the Austin Motel, which is right down the street from the center of town. It is not particularly quiet or quality, but is kitschy, homey, close to town and well under $200/night. www.austinmotel.com

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 08:08 AM
Ally

I've stayed at Vintgae Villas at Lake Travis. It is VERY nice! We had a large jacuzzi tub in the room, all rooms have lake view and the sunset was fabulous from our deck. The breakfast was also excellent! I should caution, they did not have a liqour liscence, so bring your own if you like wine or anything else with your sunsets!