Reload this Page >

Places that have grown on you

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 12:58 PM
Daniel Williams

I find it interesting in life how people evolve. In addition to places that I loved at first sight (Paris, Montreal, to name two), there are a number of places that I've visited over the course of my life that I couldn't stand at first for various reasons, but with the course of time, began to appreciate.

Places that have grown on me:

New York City. When I was a kid and teenager, I was always terrified to visit my aunt in New York City. I always felt like I was doing something wrong when there; my aunt/uncle would always say "hold your cousin's hand, don't look at anybody, you're talking too loudly, watch your wallet". The streets seemed to smell funny and people seemed obnoxious to my eyes. I remember in the early 90s about to get into a taxi (that I'd waved down) laden down with too much luggage, a woman just pushed me aside, "I'm late for a meeting". I remember thinking, "why does anyone want to live here?".

With time though, I began to appreciate the ethnic diversity of New York. The great restaurants, the creative people, the can-do resilience, the sucking-every-ounce-out-of-life, the open-mindedness...maybe it's just me, but I find many New Yorkers can be genuinely warm people, interested in others' lives in a real way (when the stress of the work day is over). I still have certain problems (crazy cost of living, etc...) but I do love New York.

Philadelphia. The first time I went to Philly, I thought "why on earth would anyone want to live here?". Some streets smelled liked sewers and there were more homeless than I was used to living in my suburban HS bubble.

Now Philadelphia is my #1 favorite city in the USA. I love sitting out in Rittenhouse Square on a beautiful day, the fabulous bakeries/cafes/restaurants and museums, quirky South St., charming South Philly, the HISTORY, great public transit...I can't think of a city THAT vibrant, diverse, open-minded at such a great PRICE anywhere else in the USA.

Baltimore. Seeing Baltimore from the train in my youth, I'd see garbage, desolate streets with a few lone souls walking around boarded up rowhouses. I thought "what a dump".

I live here right now. When I first moved from a more vibrant city (Montreal) I was horrified at the lack of things to do relatively, at how quiet the city would get on weekends, at the higher crime statistics, at the seeming relative lack of care about personal appearance.

I fluctuate in my thoughts on the city even to this day. It's an underdog and (maybe partially because of that) it is growing on me. I've come to enjoy going to Fells Point and walking the historical streets, grabbing a coffee/calzone at the Broadway Market, going for FABULOUS Afghan food in the heart of Mount Vernon neighborhood. The John-Waters-epitomized Bawlmore charm, the unique accent, the ever-increasing urban vitality have grown on me. A car, although recommended by many, is not required to live here. Like Phila., compared to other northeast neighbors, the price is quite good (which makes me appreciate it more...a city where working class and middle class can live well).

I'm curious to hear about places that have grown on you.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 01:34 PM
Paul

I think LA is one of those places, at least it was for me. First impressions were: too big for its own good, shallow, no history. It has been nearly 30 years since I left there for 'greener pastures' and now have been here in SF for over 20 years. There is still the fierce South vs. North battle raging here in California as always, but I can easily abstain from entering the fray. I know that both areas have a lot to offer and that some of the best people I've ever met reside in LA, along with some of my best memories.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 02:40 PM
Gina

Toronto!!

I have lived here now for almost 10 years. When I first came here I had no intention of staying. It was just a stop-over on the road to more meaningful things. I didn't end up staying because I loved it here but I met someone and got married. We live in the 'burbs and it is only now that I have come to see what a truly amazing city it is! I could go on about the great ethnic restaurants but there are too many ethnicities to mention! And everyone seems to live in (relative) peace. In addition to that, people will still say "good morning", the streets are incredibly safe, and you never have to bored, ever!

If I had a gazillion dollars, would I live here? Hell no! But I would visit OFTEN!!! (in the summer)

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 07:50 AM
Daniel Williams

Toronto is one of those cities that I appreciated right-off-the-bat; it is diverse, civilized and a lot of fun---the days of Toronto the Good are over! But like you, I have friends who moved there from Montreal who weren't impressed at first and then grew to like it also. LA--I have yet to grow to like; maybe someday...

I wanted to add that one reason I've grown to better appreciate Baltimore City is that it's far more open-minded (particularly on racial differences, sexual orientation) than I had originally thought (those pre-conceived notions!). And I also have grown to respect its central location and strong sense of civic pride.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 10:13 AM
Cindy

Washington, D.C.

On my first visit, it seemed nice enough. But I was in high school, and how many museums can you visit as a teen and still enjoy them? Also, I couldn't figure out why anyone would choose heat and humidity in the summer, snow in the winter, strange streets with circles and diagonals, and where few streets seem to be straight, and where there aren't any freeways to get around.

Now, I really enjoy living here. Yes, the weather is still an issue, but there is always something cool to do and never a reason to be bored. Just this weekend, we went to the free convention of the Continental Congress of Jugglers. Yes, people juggled traffic cones, walkers, and everything else you could imagine, and the show was free.

So I think I'll stay here a while.