Areas which are not safe in Chicago?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some young relatives of mine, girls going to visit family north of Chicago, are flying into Midway and over their stay want to drive around different areas. Their mother is concerned that they will drive into or through dangerous or questionable areas, In our hometowns we usually know which areas to avoid at night but it is not easy to figure out on a short visit, any info you can tell me, I'll pass on to them, thanx.

(The lady they are visiting is no help, she said just smile and you will be fine)
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 09:16 AM

Where are they staying while they're there? If they're staying in Chicago itself (not a suburb) and doing mostly touristy things, why would they rent a car?

I've never had any reason to feel unsafe in the downtown, Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park areas (main tourist attractions). I have heard that the Hyde Park and South Side areas are not ones you want to be wandering around after dark, but there are many Chicago experts here and I'm sure they'll chime in with specifics.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 09:18 AM

I would say, rather user common sense while visiting than ‘labeling’ any area as bad. All major highways and roads are safe. If one is going to some specific area at some specific time, than only local ppl to THAT area can advice.
Do you know some specific area that you're concerned about?
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

They will be staying at Evanston area but want to visit old family sites in Cicero and around there. They will be driving around after dark I'm sure. They want to visit old shops and restaurants which were family owned in the past. Common sense is what I would like to know but it is hard when you don't know the area. Yes, local's info would be great to ease her mind.

Later they will drive up to Lincolnshire for a while.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 09:39 AM

Definitely a touchy topic and I agree with ansh and jent103 but can relate to wanting your relatives to be safe. I've lived in the city for 5 years and have never had a problem. Each neighborhood (we have 77!) has great assets. Example: the south side is home to the world renown Museum of Science and Industry and Univ. of Chicago! My guess is they will be ok given they will want to do mostly touristy things. Some of the clubs and bars in the Fulton Market area can get seedy at night. I'd keep the partying up north in places like River North, Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville even downtown (the Loop). Parking will be difficult though. I would advise not staying near Midway. Best to pick a hotel downtown and take the el (subway).
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 10:03 AM

Here's an article about safe and unsafe areas in Chicago.

http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/08/3...es-in-chicago/

I'm originally (long ago) from Chicago, and this looks sort of reasonable. However, for any city, I would put much more credence in a report from the police department, if such were available. These travel boards would rank pretty low on my credibility scale. If someone on these boards tells you that an area is safe and you go there and get mugged, who do you blame?

And ethnicity and race gets into the anecdotal mix. Years ago, in Springfield MA, I was staying in a midtown hotel and mapped out a jogging route which seemed logical. I checked it with the desk clerk and was warned not to jog down a certain street. When I asked why, I was told that it was an Italian area! I ignored that advice and of course had no problem.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 10:30 AM

Can't the people they are goiing to visit give them this info? Also, how will they know where each area begins and ends? As we all know there are many aras that are mostly fine but can have a couple of blocks that are not very pleasant.

I think a simple rule is not to get out of your car late at night in any areas you are not familiar with.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

The lady they are staying with is in la la land as far as realizing that there are crime ridden areas and what that means for a female tourist. I have heard that neighborhoods in Chicago can change from street to street.

One of the girls was studying about Cibrini Green a few years ago and wanted to see what has happened to it, for instance. She wants to work in social services and is naive I think.

I'll look around google and see what I come up with, thanks for the suggestions so far.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

ps they wont be doing typical tourist things so will be out and about so to speak
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 11:48 AM

My DH and I walked from Wicker Park to downtown a couple of years ago (in daylight). We passed by the now-demolished Cabrini Green (but didn't know that's what it was until we returned home). It wasn't the nicest part of town. However, see this:

http://chicago.urbanturf.com/article...green_lot/5003

so I think it's changed
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 11:54 AM

My sister lived in the Chicago area for forty years. She was mugged in the parking lot she used right off Michigan. One of her daughters lived on the south side just across the parking lot from where the Sox played and nothing happened.

Like any big city be aware of your surroundings.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 01:00 PM

The overly simplified answer re Chicago safety is to exercise particular caution in a good bit of the southern and western stretches of the city, holding true in general and especially after dark. But there are southern parts of the city, such as the tourist pockets in Hyde Park or in Pullman, which are fine during the day -- and if you're attending a White Sox game (their stadium is on the South Side), there will be safety in numbers under such circumstances. And as the link dbdurand provided shows, there are areas in the northern part of the city that can be a problem, such as the Humboldt Park area. More research on the routes being taken is wise.

Aduchamp1's advice to be aware of your surroundings and nytraveler's suggestion to not get out of your car in an area you're not familiar with make good sense on general principles.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 01:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Cabrini Green was surrounded by creeping gentrification, a very diverse zip code, so no surprise sf7307 walked near it.
I spent many hours working in that project and it was a despicable place and environment for the residents who lived there. Be aware that neighborhoods and their safer environments change quickly from one block to another. As Adu said, be aware, and I add, dress down, no flashy jewelry and walk away from the buildings' fronts to the center of the sidewalks, walk confidently, don't make eye contact..I loved living in downtown Chicago, never had any problems.If they read that article posted above, they'll be fine.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 01:57 PM
JJ5

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/10/...borhoods-2010/

Way too many to list them all here. And yes, a neighborhood can change within a block. And in Cicero or west side young "hot" spots, like Oak Park, for instance- you can get mugged quite easily, IMHO.

Putting that Cabrini Green article here?? Not that it is inaccurate, but that's like 1 out of 500 different issues in a question like this OP posts. There are numerous housing projects. High rise types as well as low rise, similar to the ones not too far from Brighton Park or by U.S. Cell. And near the Hawks is worse. C.G. was just one of many. Near Southside hot spots of U.of I. medical yuppies or trendy can also be very close to extremely bad areas, like Englewood or Garfield Park. If these girls are Caucasian- there are going to be noticed in some of the non-named neighborhoods, as well. And in other areas they will be noticed and possibly followed, just because they look different. It's happened to me and many of the U.of C. students or U. of I. students. That's the reality. Chicago is just too big and varied within any 10 blocks to make some assumptions about "area" that are swallowed pretty whole here. For instance, there have been rapes and assaults in Wrigleyville and other North side areas and those particular North areas have violent crime increasing the most.

Here are some other views.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...chicago-4.html

What car? Hope it is in tip top shape. Going to Hyde Park or other lake front areas? Or Amphitheater? They will not want to break down regardless of how savvy and aware.

I would not suggest the Cicero excursion. All kinds of reasons if you do not know the lay of the land- your parking location lighting and walk etc.

Just recently here there was a hub-bub type thread over New Orleans neighborhood walks from the French Quarter. Those areas, nytraveler, that are just outside the French Quarter and that you warned upon because of your friend????
Well, these areas x 50 that could be mentioned re Chicago here would be far more problematic than that N.O. area. I was just there.

My niece lives in Oak Park and won't drive around Berwyn or Cicero to go to her favorite Mexican place, La Los, for instance- at night. Parking is too far from the place etc. etc. You get the picture.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 02:00 PM

I work as a field inspector in Chicago and I am all over the city. I'm a blond woman, by myself and have never been hasseled. But I'm also very aware of my surroundings. And I don't work after dark.

Cicero, Berwyn, Oak Park, Austin - those areas are fine. The gang areas are more in South Chicago; I can't imagine the girls going there.

I've done field work in Philly and DC; now those are rough towns. Chicago folks are typically sweet and friendly.

Honestly, they will have more issues parking (they better be able to parallel park - and quickly) and watching for potholes.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 02:01 PM
JJ5

And I concur on staying in Downtown Chicago. Lots to do and see there. Go to Brookfield or Lincoln Park Zoo or "outwards" in the daytime. If they are staying or visiting North- go to Glencoe to see the Botanical G. if it is springtime.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 02:07 PM
JJ5

Agree too on the driving and potholes and parking issues. Watch the lights. Photos on red.

Disagree about Cicero and Berwyn at night. Unless you are parking RIGHT next to the door. Which is not always possible. It's not just about gangs or drive bys, but about crime and especially crimes against young women and armed robbery/ car hijacking in late hours.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 02:19 PM

Just my 2 cents. The only words that poped out in the OP's post were, young and girls. Please remind them not to be texting or on their phones while walking in the neighborhoods. Everyone has said to use common sense but not everyone has common sense.

A friends daughter lived in Chicago. She was walking down Michigan Ave late one night. A man walking his dog came up behind her and was a bit too close. I don't know exactly what happened but the dog got startled and nipped at her. The first thing the man said to her is "you should not be walking at night and talking on your phone." She is a law student so I am pretty sure she is a smart young lady, but no common sense.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 02:19 PM

As I said, I don't work after dark so all bets are off.
My experiences are during daylight hours only.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 03:48 PM

Be on some guard any place after dark, but my old roomie lived in Lincoln Park and thinks it's pretty safe. Same for the "Gold Coast" up north.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -