Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Place at Bald Head Island that will allow a dog

Apr 25th, 2001, 02:46 PM
Hundley

Do you know of a place that will allow my well behaved dog - it does not have to be right on the beach

Apr 25th, 2001, 05:28 PM
kam

Try Traveldog.com. Good luck.

Apr 27th, 2001, 05:02 AM
Jill W.

Hey Hundley! I've never been to Bald Head, but I have a question for you. Are you SURE your dog is well-behaved? Coach sure is cute, but he's kinda wild too! XXOXX, Jill

Apr 27th, 2001, 05:39 AM
Kansas

Gee whiz, Jill, back off.

What is this everlasting impulse to answer a legit question with a raised eyebrow about whether the questioner _should_ do what they're asking about!

Fodorites seem to be the worst bunch of finger-shakers!

Whether Hundley is kidding himself about his dog is something you have absolutely no way of knowing, but it should have not one thing to do with answering his question.

Having said all that, Hundley, I have to concede that North Carolina is a very dog-unfriendly state, despite the fact that just about everyone I know here has one. There may even be a law against dogs in motels, and most vacation rentals have only a handful of places that will accept them, usually with a heft deposit.

I'd email these people: http://www.baldheadislandrentals.com/rental-homes2.html (no ad for them, just found their website) and ask specifically reet policy.

Apr 27th, 2001, 06:39 AM
Jillw

Hi Kansas - rest assured, I was just teasing Hundley. She's a good friend of mine and I was just amazed to see a message from someone I know on Fodors (it's never happened before). I know and love her dog (Coach) too - he's my dog's best pal (and he is well-behaved)!

May 11th, 2001, 09:50 AM
George

We haven't been to Bald Head for over 10 years but I believe its still managed by single land development company. Therefore, it probably has "corporate" rules regarding
pets. I don't know if there are any private "by-owner" rentals.

May 13th, 2001, 07:08 PM
Jackson

Just back from Bald Head Island -- this is probably WAY too late for Hundley, but here's the deal. It's a very dog-friendly island but _only_ for those who own their own places there. Anyone renting is not allowed to have a dog. My guess is that the only way you could rent there and bring your dog would be if you were to know some owner personally, and they were not only to trust you and doggie but also to rent to you separately, without going through the "official" rental channels -- which the Bald Head Island people make very difficult. There are a few places on the far east end of the the island that are not handled by the Bald Head Island group and may be handled by an agency in Southport, but again, I would be dubious about an "official" rental that would allow dogs.