What are you ashamed to admit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like lots of people live in places that attract alot of tourism and have many things to do. So what would you be ashamed to admit to a tourist that you've never done in your area.

I'll admit to mine - until recently, VERY recently (when an out-of-town friend visited) I'd never been to the Met. That's right, lived almost my entire life - minus 5 years in TX - in NY and I'd never been to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Ok, what have you never done at home, that every tourist who has ever visited has done?
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:52 PM

San Francisco - I had never been to Alcatraz - prison/island. Last year friends visited from the UK and insisted that I go with them. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and would highly recommend it.
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Ani

Not about us, but about our American friend who has lived in London for 5 years...we visited her last year and went to the Tower and Westminster-she'd not been to either, which I feel is atrocious!
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:08 PM

I lived in Philly for a couple years 3 blocks from the Liberty Bell--but I've never visited it.
I've been to SF oodles of times--never Alcatraz, never Coit Tower.
Seattle a half dozen times, never been to the Space Needle.
LA at least 15 times, never been to any of the beaches (except street view of Santa Monica's beaches).
San Antonio--never the Alamo.
St. Louis probably 20 times over the years--never been in the Arch (within a couple blocks of it many times).
Lots of visits to NYC--never Empire State Bldg or WTC prior to collapse.
Boston maybe 6-7 times--never the Freedom Trail or Quincy Market.
Washington DC 6 times--never the Lincoln or Jefferson Memorials, never the White House.
London--first 3 times I avoided Big Ben, Westminster Abbey.
Rome--1st visit skipped the Colosseum.
Have done the touristy things in Oz, NZ, Florence, Paris, Venice and many other cities...but usually because I was with others who wanted to see them.
I love experiencing the local flavor and different ways of life in different cities, but don't really care for the touristy things. They often leave me uninspired.
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:27 PM

I've lived in Naples, Florida (a pretty touristy area) for over 25 years. I have never been to our number one tourist spot -- Jungle Larry's Carribean Gardens. I know it sounds touristy, but people rave. And I have a friend who is a naturalist there who has even given me a free ticket to use anytime. Don't know what it is -- I just keep putting it off.

And I've thought about heading down to Shark Valley in the Everglades National Park and renting a bike for the day to do the trails there -- but it just never happens.
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:29 PM

Live withing commuting distance of NY most of my life. Never been to statue of liberty or top of empire state.
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:31 PM

In NYC, I have never been inside the Empire State Building.
But I have been inside all (I think) of the museums
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:43 PM

I lived in Colorado for 4 years and didn't go sking once.
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:30 PM

lol traveljune, you have committed the ultimate sin!
Old May 8th, 2003, 04:22 AM

I've lived in Boston for 53 years and have never "done" the Freedom Trail. Never visited Bunker Hill Monument, the Constitution, Paul Revere's House, etc. (Though a relative did live in the latter before it was rehabilitated into a tourist attraction.) But apparently I'm not ashamed to admit it!
Old May 8th, 2003, 04:39 AM

I have lived at the Jersey Shore all my life and have NEVER been out on the ocean. Not in a fishing boat, wave runner, kayak, party boat...nothing!
Old May 8th, 2003, 04:39 AM

Been to Hawaii 5 times. Never visited nor had any desire to visit Pearl Harbor or the memorial. My patriotism, like my faith, is held deeply personal. Everyone says I "should go" but somehow its enough for me to know its there, understand the history and recognize the importance.
Old May 8th, 2003, 04:52 AM

Ashamed to admit it but I live in Canada and never once stayed in an igloo nor have I gone skiing in July! And I'm really ashamed to admit I have never tasted our national dish - beaver balls.
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:30 AM

Funny Anonymous, lived in Boston for 28 years and I also have never done the freedom trail or Bunker Hill.
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:43 AM

Never been to Nantucket, Cape Cod, Block Island, Provincetown, Martha's Vineyard, nor any other tourist destination represented by yuppies putting euro stickers on their SUV's (i.e. OBX).
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:44 AM

There are plenty of tourist things in Chicago (where I live) that I have not yet done. When I was in London I was telling a british friend that lived his whole life in London that I visted the Tower of London that day. He asked how it was; he had never been!
Old May 8th, 2003, 07:01 AM

I live in the Washington, DC area, and consider myself to be knowledgable about the Holocaust, but never have been to the Holocaust Museum. I used to live in NY (Queens), but never visited the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building until after we moved to NJ.
Old May 8th, 2003, 07:24 AM
OliveOyl

Growing up in the Berkshires, but never once going to Tanglewood until I'd graduated from college and moved away! And *still* haven't been to Jacob's Pillow or the Williamstown theater!

Old May 8th, 2003, 07:24 AM
itleyen

One summer my family swam at every single new jersey beach, including atlantic city. And it was fun (blush!) despite the downside of beach fees and beach fleas. One time we were so pack in that we rubbed fannies with what we believed to be local mafia.

Old May 8th, 2003, 07:31 AM

I have lived in the region since 1976 and have never climbed Mt. Monadnock (supposedly the most-climbed mountain in the world or something like that).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -