Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PITTSBURGH Pa Holiday events

For all those traveling to or through Pittsburgh during the holiday season:

http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/essen...vals/holidays/
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Amy

Hey, Steelersfan, it looks like we might be going back to P'bgh this holiday season (26th to 29th). That would be my two sisters and BILs and the nieces and nephews, aged 1 to 23 with most of the lot hanging about the 10-15 age group. I wanted to ask (last time we went to Duquesne Incline, Cathedral of Learning, and Heinz Science Center) your opinion on a few things:

First, we can get a hotel with free parking, breakfast, and an indoor pool within our budget in Cranberry. Would this be crazy inconvenient for getting into Pittsburgh, or do you think the commute would be worth the extra amenities? (The kids do love swimming.)

Second, what are your thoughts on the National Aviary for a mixed group like that? They do have group rates (we'd have 22) so it would be a bit less expensive that way.

Third, have you been to the Children's Museum? Is it more a six and under type place, or is there a good variety of ages represented?

I'll be sure to check the link, although I'm sure most is happening before Christmas.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

the Aviary is worth the trip IMO.
Haven't been to Children's Museum in many years, so I'd check with someone else on that.
Our ZOO is a really good one, if that interests you. They have it decorated around the holidays for evening visits, which is also nice and something different.
there is also a Christmas Market in downtown (Market Square) which would be a great place to spend part of a day, then visit the Nativity at the Steel Bldg, and the other Christmas decorations around town.
If You have enough cars to transport everyone, I guess the Cranberry hotel might work.
The kids would probably all enjoy the Sports complex which is near the Science Center on NorthShore.
Don't forget the big red bus hop on hop off tour for consideration!
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

OOPs, the Christmas market is only BEFORE Christmas. sorry.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Amy

Thanks, Steelersfan! Please, if you will, take a look at this thread: http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...tmas-redux.cfm We're booked for the Hyatt Place that calls itself "Airport" but is really right by a large mall (Robins or some such...)