Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Phoenix to Las Vegas via ??? for hiking and views?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaving Phoenix on Monday morning. Have to be in Vegas by Friday morning.

Three of us, middle-aged female relatives. Two are great hikers, one is ok with walking but is not really a hiker.

I have a sister in Prescott, we will probably stop there for one night. Thinking of heading through Sedona up to the GC (been to Sedona, never been to the GC.)

This is 3rd week of April.

I would like recommendations on "easy hikes" or cool hikes or unique/unusual things to see/do between Phx and Vegas.

The two hikers are not interested in history or art, per se. So, recommendations ok for "cave paintings", but not art galleries.

It would be nice if there was someplace the non-hiker can hang for a couple hours if the two hikers decide they want a more challenging hike.

I can go back and look for the park hotels at GC, but also wondering if we are better off staying in Flagstaff and then getting up early to hit GC. Or is it a must to see the sunrise over the GC and is that doable from where we are coming?

And while I'm at it, wherever you recommend we bed down for the night, any good restaurant recommendations would also be appreciated. (Especially any place with tapas or small plates.)

Thanks for all input.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 07:19 PM

I would go for lodging at GC. This would allow the two hikers to go down into the canyon on Bright Angel or S Kaibab trail while the non hiker shops, takes wonderful pictures, visits the VC, etc and has a place to go to if she wants.

There is also a rim trail that is an easy walk along the rim and there is a bus that parallels the rim trail and stops along the way from Bright Angel lodge to Hermit's rest. You could walk a while and then hop on and off the bus as the spirit moves. If people want to walk more than others, the others could relax at hermit's rest till they get together again.

Near Sedona, check out Montezuma's castle and well, cliff dwelling.

When you get to Vegas, go to Valley of Fire and Red Rock Canyon, both have petroglyphs.
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 09:09 AM

Grand Canyon hotels inside the park are most likely sold out for April (or so I've heard). Even so, I don't think you have to stay in Flagstaff unless you are a member of a hotel chain points program that you can only redeem there. Try to get a hotel in Tusayan (aka Grand Canyon Village South). It's just outside the park gates and has a Best Western Premier property, a Holiday Inn Express, and 3 others of similar amenities, caliber, etc. Video w/more info->: http://youtu.be/w9dzaUY2Ouw

That way, the hikers could go and do their thing and the non-hiker might hang in town and go see the IMAX movie, do a little shopping, maybe poke around some of the museums, such as the Cowboy Museum at the Best Western. All of the hotels and shops in Tusayan are within easy walking distance of one another, so it's easy to get from place to place.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 10:35 AM

If the web site says there is no room in the park, take the number and call and keep calling as people make reservations way ahead and cancel last minute.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations. Is it less expensive to stay in Flagstaff than Tusayan? (Frankly, I think the HIExpress would be perfect.)
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 02:35 PM

We did this trip a few years ago. Would highly recommend calling at a place called Oatman. It is a couple of miles off the main road just outside Kingman. It is a disused mining town in the middle of nowhere. There are wild ponies in the street which you can feed. The scenery is stunning. Also Clark Gable spent his honeymoon there in the local hotel. It's well worth the detour.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 04:27 PM

If you are coming from the east, you also can stay at Cameron Trading Post/motel. The trading post has a wide variety of items, there is a place to eat there and the motel is fine, and quite reasonable.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 05:10 PM

We really enjoyed our hike in the Walnut Canyon National Monument http://www.nps.gov/waca/index.htm There are cliff dwellings from the Sinagua people along the hike. The park is just about 12 miles East of Flagstaff. It's something different to do and not a lot of tourists, so nice in that respect.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 06:10 PM

Another enthusiastic vote for Valley of Fire State Park near Las Vegas - as long as it's not too hot.

If you're going north from Flagstaff on 89, both Wupatki and Sunset Crater National Monuments have some nice walks/hikes.