Phoenix to GC to Sedona

Search

Phoenix to GC to Sedona

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phoenix to GC to Sedona

Please suggest best driving route, including both the east and south entrances/exit to GC.

We ar driving from Phoenix to Gc, spending one night and driving to Sedona the next day.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 10:03 AM

We did the same trip, but starting from Tucson, in September. We went in the east entrance and out the south. I highly recommend doing that. Along the way, up route 89, you can also stop on the way up at Wupatki Nat'l Monument and sunset Crater. Since we were coming from Tucson, we didn't have time for that.

We spent on night at the GC, then to Sedona for 3 nights, staying at Sky Ranch Lodge. I have been working on a trip report. If you are interested, it is here (not quite finished yet).

http://p104.ezboard.com/feuropetogof...icID=252.topic
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Mike,
Thanks so much for the response and I also read your interesting report.

I think I will follow your suggestions, exactly as you did them. My only reservation is this: our plane arrives in Skyharborabout 11 am. By the time we get our car/luggage, it could be closer to noon before we are on the road. We are staying at El Tovar and have a dinner reservation at 5:15( I will keep the food situation in mind and order something without any expectations).
I know the drive about 3 hours? between Phoenix and GC, so do we still have time to go thru the east entrance and make the stops without being rushed to check in to the hotel.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 08:06 AM

Going through the east entrance, it will take closer to 3 1/2 hours to get to the gate. Then it is another 23 miles to GC Village. Figure on at least 30 minutes at Desert View and close to that at Grandview Point, and you would be getting to El Tovar close to 5:00PM. So there wouldn't be time for Wupatki or Sunset Crater.

I hope you also liked the pictures in my report and in my album. I really need to try to finishe the report today.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 08:33 AM

Mike,

Those GC pictures rank up there with the best I have ever seen!
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the compliment on the pictures. It does help having the Grand Canyon as subject matter. And, we were lucky with the lighting -- scattered clouds and thunderstorms seemed to give the views a surreal quality and seemed to enhance the colors.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 04:57 AM

Excellent pictures, Mike!