Phoenix or Scottsdale?

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 01:56 PM
don

Phoenix or Scottsdale?

I am planning a trip to Arizona, and was planning on spending a few days in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. Sightseeing will be a priority. Is there any difference whether I stay in Phoenix or Scottsdale? Is on preferable over the other? Is it best to stay in town or would outside the city be better? Any suggestions on a where to stay?

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 04:27 PM
Jerry

Budget?
Car?

The best places to stay for sightseeing and all around combo of convenience and quality are in East Phoenix and southern Scottsdale. Specifically Phoenician, Ritz (not a resort, just hotel), Biltmore, Hyatt Gainey Ranch.
You must have a car in this town.
There are some very nice places to stay around the perimeter of Scottsdale, but the drive times can really add up.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 04:28 AM
steve

Either city is fine. Just go with what your buget will allow. Almost all motels have pools. Avoid those on Van Buren in Phoenix - they are mostly rundown and hangouts for prostitues

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 05:00 PM
Rachel, Hotwire Traveler

Don,

If you're still looking for a good deal on hotel accommodations, you might also want to try Hotwire (www.hotwire.com) - especially if your trip is coming up soon or if you're trying to save money. You mentioned your trip is coming up but I didn't see a date listed. I went ahead and did a quick search for hotels in Scottsdale or East Phoenix for the middle of August (8/16-8/19). Here's what I found:

- an upscale (4 key) hotel in the Camelback Corridor for $50.00/night

- an upscale (4 key) hotel in East Phoenix (Mesa) for $43.00/night

- a midscale (3 key) hotel in Scottsdale for $34.00/night

I hope this helps. (I work for Hotwire so let me know if you have any questions about this message.) Have a great trip!

- Rachel

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Dayna

We just spent a week in Scottsdale over Memorial Day, it was great! We stayed at the Scottsdale Links resort in a condo which was great, smaller and more intimate than a hotel+ a kitchen. We rented a convertible(not so good idea when the weather was 100+) You must go to Sedona and bring lots of film!