Notices

Phoenix car rentals--off airport sites

Old Aug 21st, 2010, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phoenix car rentals--off airport sites

Since car rentals are so much more expensive at the airport, how can I find off airport sites for rentals?

Someone had mentioned going to a Toyota dealer 5 miles from the airport on another post. Does anyone have a contact for that dealer?
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 10:18 AM

To start I'd go to a site like Priceline.com and enter Tempe, Arizona for the town and 5 miles for the search radius (Tempe is just to the east of the airport, most of the Tempe car rental places will be closer than many Phoenix places).

Just plugging this in for Sept I see Avis, Budget, Hertz etc for around $155-165 per week.

Enterprise may offer free airport pickup but a cab to Tempe is probably under $20.

Also try the same trick for Phoenix but check the distances.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 10:50 AM

I don't have an address but we rented from Hertz offsite from a car dealer. We were dropping the car off in Las Vegas and Hertz did not charge extra for a one way rental. We took a cab and I remember that the dealer was close to the airport. If you check the Hertz website, you can check the locations and find the office that is closest to the airport.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 11:02 AM

Clousie,
There are many answers to this very question and I have previously reported on my favorable experience with Enterprise (off site). Just type "Phoenix car rental" in the Search the Forums box and you will pull up many threads on this very subject.

Old Aug 21st, 2010, 01:38 PM

Off-airports are only open daytime hours and usually closed Sundays. You can often book the rental to RETURN at the airport at no extra charge however. Try Hertz on Indian Springs Road
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 06:53 PM

Let me clarify my previous remarks. This is from a previous post of mine:

1.Don't rent at the airport (PHX)!. Choose an off site car rental agency. Enterprise can be very cheap, away from the airport.

2. Search online for an Enterprise coupon code (e.g. "SAFER9"). This is not necessarily the best or cheapest one for you. Do a thorough search and see what else you can find.

3. If you are arriving by air, consider staying the first night at a motel near the airport with a free shuttle.

4. Take the (free) shuttle to the hotel/motel, spend the night there and have Enterprise pick you up there the next morning. They will do this for you free of charge. Of course, your reservation must be with a branch location that is closest to your hotel/motel. This is the Enterprise location we used:
1131 W BROADWAY RD
TEMPE, AZ 85282-1225
Tel.: (480) 829-3970

5. Alternatively, if you don't want to spend the night in a hotel/motel, then take a taxi to the off-site Enterprise branch.

6. At the conclusion of your rental period, repeat the same process without the additional one night's hotel/motel stay. Better yet, you may be able to persuade your Enterprise driver to drop you off at the airport itself. We did! (While off-site car rental branches can't pick up at the airport, they can and do drop off if asked discretely.)

Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

I can't believe the difference in prices for cars in Phoenix! Thanks for your comments.