Reload this Page >

Phoenix & Scottsdale adventures

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 06:41 AM
laura

I'm hearing all about spas, restaurants and golfing in Phoenix and Scottsdale. I'm more for hiking and bicycling than for shopping, is there stuff like that to do in that area? What about sightseeing?
thanks!

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Sandy

Most popular close-in hikes are Camelback Mtn. (park at Echo Canyon off MacDonald, just east of Tatum); and Squaw Peak (off of Squaw Peak Blvd--I think--and Lincoln). Squaw Peak is in the Phoenix Mtn. Preserve area which can also be accessed from many other points. A nice starting point is the tiny parking area on the west side of Tatum just north of Doubletree. Another wonderful hiking and mountain biking area is South Mountain Park.

There is a great multi-use path that runs for miles along Hayden Rd. in Scottsdale. You can take it all the way to Tempe or you can veer off onto the canal system at Indian Bend. You can ride down the canal to the Biltmore Resort, have lunch at the golf course, etc. An adjoining canal takes you to the Papago Park area, with it's lovely red boulders and meandering stream; the Zoo and the Desert Botantical Garden (which should not be missed) is in the area as well.

Laura, if you would like more info, don't hesitate to contact me. When will you be here? Did you also respond to my first attempt at posting my Bryce Canyon report?

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 12:16 PM
kim

laura,
look into the desert jeep tours. You will tour the desert through the McDowell Mountains, The Verde River, Fort McDowell Indian reservation or Tonto Hills in the Tonto National Forest. I'm sorry I do not know the name of the tour agency.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 12:31 PM
steph

Re the jeep tours - there are a number of companies that do these tours. Ask at your hotel to recommend one. Or try a hot air balloon ride. Both the jeep tours and balloon rides can also be done in Sedona - fabulous scenery - about
a 2 hr drive from Phoenix.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 07:02 PM
steve

Bicycling - Indian Bend greenbelt bike path goes for several miles in Scottsdale.

Arizona Diversion Canal bike path goes from about 40th st to 75 ave (about 12 miles)

On the road - From Ftn. Hills north to Rio Verde and up to Riata Pass.

For Mtn Biking, Papago park has several trails. Also the Christiansen trail in the Phoenix Mtn Preserve (also excellent hiking - I especially like going east from Dreamy Draw Park)

McDowell Mtn Park