Reload this Page >

Philly Steak Sandwich

Search

Philly Steak Sandwich

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 1998, 03:42 PM
Kathy

Philly Steak Sandwich

A while back the Frugal Gourmet had a show on Philadelphia. He showed a restaurant in downtown Philadelphia that features a gourmet Philly Steak Sandwich. It was a round loaf of bread, cut horizontally with some of the bread scooped out and then filled with beef etc.

Old May 6th, 1998, 03:42 AM
Mark

As a Philadelphia resident, I must say that there is nothing "gourmet" about a cheesesteak (at least in what most people define as "gourmet"). Philadelphia has become quite a culinary capital in the past few years, so I guess it doesn't suprise me, someone on Walnut street probably developed this "cheesesteak". Anyway, with all due respect to Mr. Smith, if you want a really good cheesteak (with cheesteak atmosphere) while in Philadelphia, you can try out the "famous" places like Pat's and Geno's in South Philly (9th & Wharton). Be cool and order "cheese with", meaning cheeze-wiz with onions (or you can get a little more "gourmet" and go with "provolone with"). On South Street (at 4th), there's Jim's, which is okay... you can smell the onions a block away. My favorite is at the Onion Pie (La Cipolla Torta) at 2nd and Market St. or the other Pat's in the Reading Terminal Market (12th & Arch). Everyone has their favorite place, remember the difference between a cheesteak and a cheesteak hoagie (a hoagie has lettuce and tomato - which is a little too healthy for most). Don't forget to chase it all down with a good Italian Water Ice. Sorry I couldn't help you find your gourmet cheesesteak... "gourmet" and "cheesteak"... never thought I'd hear the two in the same sentence.

Old May 7th, 1998, 12:18 PM
kam

Gourmet or not, I still miss them a lot. An Italian beef in Chicago is along the same lines. I like provelone on my cheesesteak--yum--try to get on here in California!!!!

Old May 15th, 1998, 03:17 PM
erin

Rita's water ice is the best, and for dessert eat an Auntie Ann's pretzel (preferably caramel almond)

Old May 28th, 1998, 01:52 AM
Pat

Are you kidding? Italian beef in Chicago is nothing like a Philly cheese steak. Italian beef is just a roast beef sandwich. A cheese steak is heaven.

Old May 28th, 1998, 12:59 PM
kam

I don't think we need to fight battles Chicago beef vs. cheesesteak-----but have you ever had a real Chicago beef from one of the little shacky places on the West side filled with peppers etc on a Gonnella roll? It certainly isn't a roast beef sandwich!! Meanwhile, whichever you can get enjoy it cause I can't get either anymore,.

Old May 29th, 1998, 03:23 AM
mark

kam, obviously you never spent a considerable amount of time in Philly... everything is a "battle" and cheesesteaks are taken very seriously (see the Joisey comment above). Actually, if you want good roast beef in Philly (absolutely nothing like a cheesesteak) try DiNic's in the Reading Terminal - they have the best beef and pork with roasted hot peppers and extra sharp provolone. It's unfortunate that you have to settle for avocado and sprouts, but you do have some seriously good Mexican food in your parts...

Old Jul 7th, 1998, 07:46 AM
Chris Collinson

I don't care what anyone says, a real cheesesteak can only come from Philadelphia. Some great sources:
Johnny Barrell's in South Philly
Tony Luke's on Oregon in S. Philly (their Pork w/greens & sharp provolone is even better)
Also, Pop's water ice @ Broad & Oregon beats Rita's by a mile, & Auntie Ann's?!?!- give me a break!!! Federal Bakery in South Philly is THE best for a real pretzel.

Old Jul 7th, 1998, 10:41 AM
kam

Actually, Mark, I'm a Pennsylvania native though not from Philadelphia, but with countless relatives there and spent every summer at the Shore! I wish someone would pay me for the amount of time I've spent in Philadelphia. But, you find in life that there are other things to love in life than cheesesteak! You're right, not much Mexican in Philadelphia!

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 07:48 AM
Jim

Am I the only one that thinks that Kam ([email protected]) is an obnoxious wannabe know-it-all?

Check out her smug and condescending posts on this board.

Lighten up, lady! The sun doesn't shine out of your posterior.

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 06:12 PM
Tomomi

So sad to see the above Jim's comment. The worst posting I have ever seen. I hape you are not from Philadelphia, becuase I will lose my interest going there.

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 07:34 PM
Michael

Yes Jim, you probably are the only one.
I think Kam seems very nice.
Take your own advice and please lighten up.

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 07:39 AM
Christian Collinson

I agree w/Jim. Kam does seem a bit condescending & overly sensitive I might add. Living in PA does not qualify one to judge a Philadelphia cheesesteak or hoagie for that matter. I have lived in Phila. & the western burbs & there is a huge difference in food authenticity & quality.

Also, I found it a bit presumtuous of Kam to say that Jim's sole love in life is cheesesteaks. Philadelphian's are very proud of their indigenous foods & simply want the rest of the world to know what delicacies are available instead of cheap imitations. I think this was the initial intention of Jim's message although accompanied by a good-natured shot (a true Philly/East Coast sense of humor)at Californian cuisine.

This is the city of Brotherly Love, we just may not always show it in the most obvious way. Just don't rush to judgment like some posts above have.

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 08:27 AM
s.fowler

As a former longtime [20 years] resident of Philly I had to weigh in here. The most AUTHENTIC cheesesteak is the one you get off of the luncheon trucks found in tourist areas as well as near the universities. The meat and onions are grilled on a greasy grill [sometime mushrooms if you want.] and popped into an undistinguished longish bun with a slice of cheese. [the kind varies from truck to truck, but the best you might get is commercial provolone.] The grease seeps into the bun, the taste is greasy, salty, the meat is probably gristly and it is WONDERFUL! Anthing else is effete *SIGH* I want one now!

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 12:34 PM
J.

I appreciate Kam's comments. She has helped me a lot with information on other postings. Besides, the whole point of bulletin boards is to get a diversity of opinions, right?

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 12:40 PM
Christian Collinson

An excellent suggestion Fowler

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 02:08 PM
Tomomi

Are those steak & chesse places in food courts are they anything close to what you guys are talking about? (I have never had it before.)

Old Jul 10th, 1998, 05:17 AM
Christian Collinson

A different species Tomomi. Maybe they're good in their way, but not even remotely similar to a real Philly cheesesteak.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 07:03 PM
Erin

I just had to say something just out of my love and respect for the Phuladelphia Cheese Steak. I have lived in Tokyo for 2 years and can't even get anything remotely resembling a cheese steak sandwich. I am leaving in 2 weeks to go back home to Philly and guess what the first thing I eat will be-you guessed it.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 03:17 AM
Larry

thinking about Pat's Steaks in S. Philly made me smile. I used to go there late night 3-4 time a week a decade or so. Mark (above) gave you a run-down of how to order, I always wondered weather this place could be the inspiration for the "soup Nazi" of Seinfeld fame. To explain, you would get in a line that approached a window (well, one window for steaks, another for cheese fries). A menu was posted over each window. When it was your turn, if you didn't instantaneously give your order, the guy behind the counter would look past you and shout "Next!". Then, if the person behind you was a true Philadelphian, they would shoulder themselves in front of you, grunting the required "cheese, with" or "provolone without" etc. Ahh, those were the days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -