Reload this Page >

Philly...Cheesesteaks, Hotels, etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Jennifer

I am looking to go to Philly in about 2 weeks. I am going with a friend and her daughter. We would like to stay in a hotel that is centrally located (in the heart of all the action), but don't want to pay outrageous amounts of money. Any suggestions?

What sites are worth the time to see? I haven't been to Philly in years.

Also, can anyone recommend some good restaurants. Not too fancy or too expensive- needs to be suitable for a 10 year old. (any type of food will do. And where can you find the best Cheesesteaks?????

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Gail

There's a great debate in Phila. as to who has the best cheesesteaks. I've never had a bad one!
You can always see all the historical sights--Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, etc. The ten year old (and you) would probably like the Franklin Institute Museum. The Art Museum is great too. You might be able to get tickets to a show. Mama Mia should be here when you get here.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 10:17 AM
shaggy

I stayed at the Radisson Warwick just before Christmas. Our room was 95.00 per night through hoteldiscounts.com. I saw the same amount on their web site too, and you don't have to prepay if you go through the hotel site. It's a very nice hotel, and it's just off of Rittenhouse square which is a great location.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 10:17 AM
philip

For Cheesesteak go to the orginal, Pat's in South Philly.

I'll second that the Ben Franklin Institute is perfect for a 10 year old.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Cheryl

The Franklin Institue sounds good. Also the Academy of Natural Science, which is located within the area of the Franklin Institue around the Parkway.
Fridays' restaurant is also on the Parkway and is a place you can take a 10 yo and is less pricey. Try the Holiday Inn.....downtown, somewhere around 18th street I think. Cheesesteaks are good all around Philly.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Susan

We went to Phila. a few weeks ago with our 12 and 10 yos. Stayed near the parkway at the Wyndham.Large rooms and very comfortable but not walking distance to any restaurants that I could tell. We took a cab to the Rittenhouse Square area for dinner and was easily able to get a cab back. The Franklin Institute was great. The line was long but it moved quickly. The lines for the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall were also long and did not move quickly but both were worth the wait. Take the cheesy horse drawn carriage ride. My daughter loved that. We found great deals on the philly site. I think its www.gophila.com Have fun.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Peter

Susan,

A reasonable hotel in downtown Philadelphia is the Crowne Plaza at 18th and Market. I got a $50 per night rate on priceline.com about a year ago. It is walking distance to Rittenhouse Square, The Benjamin Franklin Parkway, City Hall, and the Avenue of the Arts (South Broad Street). I recommend taking a Phiadelphiaa Trolley Tour (www.phillytour.com) The tour starts at Independence Mall Historic Area at 5th and Market. After checking out the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, I would take the tour which lasts about 90 minutes. You can hop on and off as you wish. It gives an overeview of all of the main attractions. It would be best to take the tour on the first day you arrive so that you can check out places that interest you more in depth later on. I highly suggest spending time at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
As for the best place for cheesesteaks, I would have to say Geno's at 9th and Passyunk at the south end of the Italian Market. Another place I have heard that has good cheesesteaks is Jim's Steaks at 4th and South Streets. I have never been there, but I always see a line out the door. If you like seafood, definitely check out Bookbinder's at 15th and Locust. For Italian food there are many restaurants in South Philly, however I have been to Spasso Italian Grille at Front and Chestnut. Great food and reasonable prices.
Have fun in Philadelphia!

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Gail

Phila. hotels are offering a lot of discouint specials to boost tourism. Go to www.gophila.com for a lot of info.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Joe

I think I saw on TV that Bookbinders has closed or is closing for good, can anyone confirm?

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:51 PM
James

I love Philly and I'll be visiting in a few months.

Some sights that I'd suggest for a 10-year old (and adults) are as follows:

Reading Terminal Market: It's under the Convention Center and filled with activity, people and food. There is a place there for Cheesesteaks that was incredibly popular. Just walking around and seeing all the stalls and activity would keep a child interested for a while.

Logan Square/Circle. There's a big fountain in the middle, though it might not be turned on during the winter. Now that I think about it, if it's not on, I wouldn't go.. But in warm weather, there are always lots of kids splashing around in it.

The Philly Phlash buses are made for visitors and can take you around. Plus, the buses are PURPLE, something that should get any kid's attention. http://phillyphlash.com/

Enjoy your trip

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Daniel Williams

Somebody's gonna put my head on a platter for this one...but...the best cheesesteak I've ever had was not in Philly (I hate to say it because Philly is one of my favorite cities in the US), but in that OTHER city 100 miles away.

And no, I'm not talking about the Big Apple. At the corner of Mount Royal and Charles in Baltimore (not far from Penn Station)at Jim's...they call it beefsteak, but boy it tasted like heaven. Mind you, I haven't been to Pat's...but I preferred the Baltimore cheesesteak over the ones I have had in Philly (Jim's on South St., a few other Center City places); it was just I dunno more flavorful. Expect a lineup at lunchtime if you go.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Gail

Joe,
Bookbinders has closed.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 07:27 PM
John G

Geno's on Passyunk Ave for Cheesesteak hogies. Just one will clog all your arteries at once. Bring along someone who knows CPR.

For a decent hotel, try Lowe's at 12th and Market, near City Hall. Alot of people from my auction house stay here when they come to Philly. The view from the higher floors is supposedly fabulous.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Lisa

All the advie given above is excellent.While in the Independence Hall area check out the Liberty Museum. Itis in the 300 block of Chestnut street. It is a small museum and is very do-able ina an hour. It has wonderful works of art tied into the Liberty theme and is very thought-provoking very a 10 year old. It has a wonderful art glass collection and a very large Chihuly collection. Don't miss the amazing Chihuly chandelier in the gift shop.

The PhillyPhlash buses are excellent for getting around

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 04:55 AM
Peter

In response to Gail's posting that Bookbinder's has closed, that only is true of the one near Front Street. The Bookbinder's at 15th and Locust, which is is owned by the original family who started Bookbinders, is very much open. I walk by it almost on a daily basis. The Bookbinders that closed in fact was the very first Bookbinder's, but it was sold by the original founders some time back and was nothing but a tourist trap. So its closing is no loss. Its prices were significantly higher that the one at 15th and Locust.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Jeannie

I'm a Philly native. this is a great restaurant town these days; I use zagat.com to narrow down choices. Try the White Dog on the Penn campus, or for great italian food, there's Tre Scalini ("three little steps")in a row house in south Philly. Chinatown, just north of center city at around 9th and Race would be alot of fun and inexpensive for dinner -- I've been told that the Golden Pond is especially good but have not tried it myself. I also agree with the comment about the Reading Terminal but be aware that they are closed on Sunday.

For cheesestakes, try Jim's on South Street. The atmosphere is one of a kind and the food is good too. For milkshakes, burgers and a 50's atmosphere which everyone will enjoy, there's Nifty Fifty's at about 11th and Reed (S. Philly).

Have fun!

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Barb

We went to Philadelphia last spring with an 8 yr old. He LOVED Pat's cheesesteaks in South Philly and wanted to return daily for one (we didn't actually do that...). He also enjoyed a tour of the mint and a trip to their souvenir shop where you can purchase special coins. He also enjoyed seeing where the declaration of independence was signed as well as the guided tour.
We stayed with relatives, so I can't advise you on hotels.

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 07:00 AM
xyz

ttt