Philly cheesesteak by Independence Hall

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 10am tickets to Independence Hall this Monday for myself & my two daughters (7&9). They wanted to see the Libery Bell because they are studing it in school. I thought we'd have a quick lunch then head home....Can anyone recomend someplace close to Independence Hall for a cheesesteak?
Thanks! Tracey
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 07:34 AM

I'll be interested in replies because I don't really think of this as a cheese steak area. I hope I am wrong!
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 10:34 AM

You've probably heard the cliche, "Ask two people this question and you'll get three opinions in the answers." It's SORT OF like that with Philly cheese steaks -- "Ask two residents where to get a good cheese steak and you'll get four obscenities in the answers." Just so you know, there is NO consensus on this, the most argued about topic in Philly.

Change that -- residents are UNANIMOUS in the suggestion to avoid both Pat's and Geno's. Yes, they're fascinating cultural icons but not places to go for a good cheese steak.

Unfortunately, the area around Independence Hall is so flooded with tourists that authentically good cheese steaks are hard to find. One place that the Yelp reviewers seemed to like is Sonny's Famous Steaks, at 228 Market Street. Note, in particular, the review on May 17 by Elite 8.
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 01:07 PM

Reading terminal. From independence hall, just walk a few blocks west instead of east.
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Amy

The guy at the cart directly across 6th street (at the corner of 6th and Chestnut) does a pretty good cheese steak. After you've eaten it in the park you can go a bit further down 6th street to the Curtis Building and see the lovely Dream Garden glass mosaic.

Of course, Reading Terminal Market is wonderful in its own right; it's a little under a mile walk, so if you're driving and parked in the historical area, it's something to consider, whether you want to walk up and back or try to find (and pay for) parking again.

By the way, if they're studying the Liberty Bell era, there is soooo much more of interest in the area...wouldn't you like to make it all day?
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in Philly last September with a similar plan.
I had my sandwich for breakfast at Reading Market and then walked to my ten-fifteen tour at Ind. Hall. I had the pork/broccoli rabe,but they made cheese steaks too.
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 04:00 PM

Forget the cheese steak and the the pork with broccoli rabe at DiNic's in the Reading Terminal Market. The Travel Channel named it one of the nation's best sandwiches.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/t...ork-named.html
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 04:01 PM

That should say forget the cheese steak and GET the pork.......
Wish there was an edit button on this site.
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone...I may have to go for that pork sandwich! I wish we couldspend all day, but we have to be home for 5pm, and it's a 2 1/2 hr drive...I'll report back on lunch.
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 05:51 PM

I can vouch for DiNIc's at RTM also, but is your 7 yr. old a good walker? IF so, great, but I know a mile is long for some that young, especially after walking around a historical site.

If you don't go to RTM, either Sonny's and Campo's would be fine, both right nearby, around 3rd and Market. Won't win any awards, come back sometime for the rest of the historical sites and then drive or hop a bus or cab over to John's Roast Pork, and get one roast pork sandwich and one cheesesteak and share and compare!

(can you tell we're rather passionate about this subject?)
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 05:52 PM

oops, just realized your visit has come and gone, hope you had fun and had a good lunch!
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 04:17 AM

I know the OP's trip is over, but I'm grateful that this post led me to try DiNic's roast pork "special." I asked whether the broccoli rabe was bitter and the guy behind the counter said, "yes," and suggested sauteed spinach and provolone on the sandwich instead of the broccoli rabe.

What did I think? FABULOUS! I think a big part of the success is that amazing roll. But the pork was so tender and flavorful I didn't add any condiments--and that's rare for me.

I asked the counter guy, "You're voted the best sandwich in the US--why don't you even have a sign stating that? And that actual sandwich isn't even advertised." He responded, "We don't need to advertise!"

FYI, DP had Amish chicken pot pie (which is actually a stew; it has no crust) and an apple dumpling w/gooey cinnamon on the bottom and heavy cream on top. He LOVED it.

I love Reading Terminal Market!
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 06:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Your guide to cheese steaks in Philadelohia:
http://www.visitphilly.com/articles/...-cheesesteaks/
You may need to walk a few blocks to get your best choice.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 01:39 PM

Songdoc, that apple dumpling with the cream at RTM is one of my favorite food experiences in the world. Glad DP enjoyed (and you, with the sandwich)!