Reload this Page >

Philadelphia Restaurants & Shops

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Karen

We are going to be in Philadelphia this weekend and would appreciate it if someone could recommend some good restaurants that would not necessarily "break the bank." We are willing to splurge somewhat but nothing of the 5 star restaurant quality. Also, the ladies are interested in some unique shops, boutiques - not department store types, necessarily. Therefore, any information anyone could provide for us would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Alli

For boutique type shopping go to Manayunk. While there- some great restaurants that will not break the bank are LeBus and Sonoma. Manayunk consists of a Main Street lined with boutiques and dining options. If you are staying in Center City, it is probably around a 12 dollar cab ride. Its a great place to spend the day- or just go for brunch (Le Bus has the best brunch) and some walking around. Also, it would be a great dinner and shopping spot.

As for Center City, Olde City has some nice boutiques as does Walnut Street area between Broad and 18th. Marathon on the Square has suprisingly good food and is very inexpensive (19th and Spruce). Its a nice local place for dinner or lunch.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Karen

Thanks, Alli, for the information. There was recently published that Green Valley Tavern or Valley Green has the "best brunch in the U.S." Have you been there. We were thinking about trying it.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Dave

The brunch at Valley Green Inn on Sundays is very good. It is not a buffet. The ambience is excellent if the weather is good. It is on a walking trail and near a small lake where you can sit and watch the ducks. Many people walk on the trail to get there. It may be a little difficult to drive to and park at if you don't know the way. Get detailed directions.

The place is small and popular, so get reservations ASAP if you are thinking of going.

In which area are you staying?

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 07:49 AM
mlr

Philly is a restaurant city. From Friday Saturday Sunday, the Continental, Blue Angel, Django, Pif, Bistro St. Tropez, Ralph's, Audrey Claire, Marrakesh, Pod - these are all good little restaurants that definitely won't break the bank. Be sure to also check out Reading Terminal Market for some interesting and very good lunch options.

Also try doing a search on Zagat.com if you're looking for something in particular.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Wendy

I was just in Philly last weekend and had a really exceptional dinner at Pasion! Dinner for 2 with wine, apps and a shared dessert was $150.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 01:06 PM
David

Some restaurants to consider that are reasonably priced:

Spasso: Great italian food in Old City at 2nd and Chestnut St.

I second the recommendation about Reading Terminal Market, but remember that it is closed on Sunday.

Jolly's at 17th and Walnut St. in Rittenhouse Square

Philadelphia Fish and Company at 2nd and Chestnut St. in Old City

Jack's Firehouse Grill at 22nd and Fairmount Ave. in the Art Museum area.

Italian Bistro on Broad St. at Walnut

There are lots of shops on Walnut Street between Broad and 18th Streets.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 02:00 PM
offthepath

If you like Italian food there is a great place right off of funky south Street on Passyunk. "Gnocchi's" It is a BYOB nothing special from the outside. Very reasonable. But excellent food. Also an area for just walking around, Society Hill area.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 04:01 PM
phillyboy

If you want italian, be sure to check out Dmitris, it's reasonable and just awesome. And then there's a great place that only the locals know about called Ristorante Der Ghiottone on N. 3rd street. It's a small, semi-casual kind of place, but the food is incredible. And note that they don't take reservations and they're BYOB.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 05:37 PM
KenCT

Was in the same situation a couple of weeks ago and did some investigating on Citysearch. Discovered that BYOB restaurants are sort of a Philadelphia thing, and made a reservation at La Viola, 253 S 16th St, Philadelphia, PA, close to Walnut, the Kimmel Center, major hotels, etc.

The place was packed, mostly with locals, and it was truly one of the finest Italian meals that I've had anywhere. And the tab averaged about $30 a person. Just pick up a bottle or two of wine beforehand.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 11:08 AM
BTilke

Manayunk is fun for shopping; I would also recommend shopping in Chestnut Hill. Lots of small, individual shops.
If you are are a fairly small size, check out Asta de Blue (sp?) on 20th, near Rittenhouse Square.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 09:02 AM
Gilbert

I'm trying to find a restaurant in Philadelphia that has good service and a romantic ambience. Would prefer a place where you don't need to shout in order to be heard. Does anybody have opinions about the following restaurants?

1. Morimoto's (9th & Chestnut)
2. La Roya Persian (19th & Sansom)
3. Cuba Libre (2nd & Market)
4. Cafe Spice (2nd & Market)
5. Porcini's (21st & Sansom?)
6. Bistro St. Tropez (23rd & Market)

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 09:28 AM
pk

Go with Bistro St. Tropez. It's a little hard to find for some people, but it's worth it. Romantic, quiet, and with good views of the water if you get a table near the window. Service and food are good for the price.

Never heard of La Roya Persian (and have been in Philly quite some time). Morimoto's is very popular - need to reserve way in advance. Forget Cuba Libre - too noisy.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 06:20 AM
Dave

We had a good dinner with a pleasant room at Cuba Libre. We had a table on the second floor (twice) and don't remember it as being noisy.

Cafe Spice has less ambiance.

I would have doubts about St. Tropez.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:01 AM
David

I have been to Morimoto's and it was a rather noisy place. I personally felt that it was overpriced for what you get. One of the people in our group even got food poisoning after eating there. Hardly something I would expect from a restaurant of that caliber.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 04:57 PM
Gilbert

Thanks for the great feedback. My wife and I tried Cafe Spice for dinner and enjoyed the interior decor and atmosphere. However, our dishes seemed a bit bland compared to other Indian restaurants in Center City (i.e. Taj Mahal, Minar's Palace).

But this morning, we enjoyed a delicious brunch at Cuba Libre. The interior was bright, festive, and romantic while the huevos rancheros, which included Cuban fries and fruit salsa, were excellent. Our waiter provided outstanding and friendly service. We certainly plan to return there again!

Any thoughts out there on:

1. Pigalle (2nd & Fairmount)
2. Twenty Manning
3. Audrey Claire (20th & Spruce)
4. Vietnam Restaurant (11th & Race)
5. Penang (???)

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 06:09 AM
Davwe

Audrie Claire has good food, "minimalist" room.

We have always had a very good dinner at Friday, Saturday, and Sunday which is at 21st around Spruce. Room is more intimate.

Both listed in Zagat's at 22 food.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 06:09 AM
Dave

Audrie Claire has good food, "minimalist" room.

We have always had a very good dinner at Friday, Saturday, and Sunday which is at 21st around Spruce. Room is more intimate.

Both listed in Zagat's at 22 food.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:37 AM
elle

Just within the past few months, we have had an excellent dinner at Pigalle (above average bistro food), a really nice brunch at Twenty Manning (which has more atmosphere than Audrey Claire and as decent a wine list as you'll find in Pennsylvania), and an uneven lunch at Penang (although I've also had some really good meals at Penang--it all depends on what you order). Penang has a fun atmosphere, thought

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Gilbert

Just returned from a great dinner at Azafram on 3rd St. between South and Bainbridge. Would recommend it - dinner averaged about $25 per person including soft drinks, rice with beans, pulled chicken appetizer, and tuna con fufu. It's also a BYOB. Service is a bit slow but I would recommend it as the food quality is well worth the wait!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -