Philadelphia - Philly Steak Sandwich

Old May 13th, 1997, 12:38 PM
Katie Scott

Philadelphia - Philly Steak Sandwich

Can anybody recommend a restaurant to get a really good Philly Steak Sandwich in Philadelphia.

Old May 13th, 1997, 04:01 PM
ED

Pat's Steaks, but there are also a few other
locations near Pat's that are just as good. They're
located in the section called South Philly.

Bon Apetite!
Ed

Old May 14th, 1997, 04:47 PM
Mr. Steak

Katie, Don't go to Rick's in Reading Terminal. I was born and raised in the Philadelphia area, but now live in Ohio. On a recent visit back to Philly, I was anxiously hoping to have a good cheesesteak. I bought one at Rick's and it was lousy! You can get better cheesesteaks at Great Steaks locations in malls all over the USA. They get their meat from a supplier in Pennsauken, NJ. While you are in Philly you should also get some Tastykakes and Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak soda!

Old Jun 3rd, 1997, 07:03 AM
Patrick J. McGinnis

The three most popular places for Philly cheesteaks are Pats @ 9th & Passyunk in south Philly which has a friendly rivalry with Genos across the street. These ar both standup eat on the street places where you typically end up at 2 in the morning after a n ight on the town. Pat's has a pecular tongue in cheek ordering lingo and will not serve you (or will at least rib you for being a tourist) unless you follow the rules which are posted outside.

Jims is on South street around 4th or 5th and has standard pizza shop amenities. This is wheere we go when we're shopping in the South Street boutiques.

You should check out the Philly home page at libertynet.com

Old Jun 3rd, 1997, 07:03 AM
Patrick J. McGinnis

The three most popular places for Philly cheesteaks are Pats @ 9th & Passyunk in south Philly which has a friendly rivalry with Genos across the street. These ar both standup eat on the street places where you typically end up at 2 in the morning after a n ight on the town. Pat's has a pecular tongue in cheek ordering lingo and will not serve you (or will at least rib you for being a tourist) unless you follow the rules which are posted outside.

Jims is on South street around 4th or 5th and has standard pizza shop amenities. This is wheere we go when we're shopping in the South Street boutiques.

You should check out the Philly home page at libertynet.com

Old Jun 26th, 1997, 07:00 PM
jack b.

if you are not from this area and are just coming for a visit stop at any Steak or hoagie shop in the Philadelphia or S.Jersey area and you will find a good philly cheese steak, besides I think they are better in Jersey!!!!!!!!

Old Jul 8th, 1997, 12:16 PM
gretchen

when at Pat's you have to order the cheese fries, they're the best!!

Old Jul 26th, 1997, 01:51 PM
chris kerr

pats are the best.. geno's have less grease but
when you are talking cheesesteaks who cares
about grease.. try the italian ice by pat's and
talk a short walk and get a pretzel from federal
pretzel's.

Old Aug 7th, 1997, 01:42 PM
Michael Menta

I live in and go out often in Philly. In a pinch the best steaks are at Tony Luke's. Off the beaten path right under the highway. When I go out for the best or when someone is in town, this is where to go. Jim's on South st. is overrated and they use that horrible dark yellow cheese!!! Pat's is the touristy thing to do and it's an interesting location in the heart of South philly. Tony Lukes is also known for their pork sandwiches. They get best of Philly consistently.

Old Aug 7th, 1997, 06:46 PM
sd

For a vry good steak sandwich (better than Pat's) go to Lee's (on Penn's campus). Lee's italian hoagies are outstanding as well.