Philadelphia Hyatt Regency

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Dave

Philadelphia Hyatt Regency

I'm staying at the Philadelphia Hyatt Regency--Penn's Landing on business. Any sight-seeing opportunities close by? What about restaurants..low end to high end?
Any good Philly cheesesteaks nearby?
Thanks very much!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Lynne

You are very close to Olde City- historic district. There are a ton of restaurants there- Buddakan, Fork, La Famiglia, etc. You are also only a 5 dollar cab ride to Rittenhouse Row- where all the best rest's are.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 10:30 AM
David

As Lynne has pointed out, there are many great restaurants in Old City such as Philadelphia Fish and Company and Spasso for great Italian food. Across the Delaware River in Camden, NJ there is the New Jersey State Aquarium as well as the Battleship New Jersey, which has daily tours. From the Independence Seaport Museum you can catch the ferry across to Camden.

You are relatively close to the Independence National Historic Park at 5th and Market. Be sure to visit the new vistor center across the street from the Liberty Bell. This same area is the starting point for the Philadelphia trolley tour which is a nice way to get an overall feel for the city www.phillytour.com

As far as cheesesteaks go, my favorite place is Geno's at 9th and Passyunk in South Philadelphia, at the south end of the Italian Market. The Italian Market is open every day until 5 pm except Sunday it closes at 1 pm and on Monday it is for the most part closed since there are no street vendors. The best time to go is on Saturday.

Rittenhouse Square area on Walnut St. from 15th to 18th St. has some of the best restaurants in Philadelphia such as Le Bec Fin, Striped Bass, Circa, and Brassiere Perrier. I also would recommed Bookbinders for great seafood which is on 15th between Walnut and Locust.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:11 PM
Dave

Thanks for the suggestions. Everything
sounds great.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 01:40 PM
Judy

To David: I thought I had read that Booknbinders had closed. Am I mistaken?

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 02:03 PM
David

Judy,

The Old Original Bookbinders in Old City did close a few months back however, the Bookbinders on 15th near Locust is still open for business.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 02:13 PM
Judy

Thanks for the clarification, David.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 03:15 PM
margaret

The Hyatt is in a great location. You've got a pretty view no matter what direction you face. Personally, I think you've got the best restaurants huddled close to your hotel. I highly recommends Spasso. GREAT Italian food. I especially like their fried calamari. Fork, between 2n d and 3rd on Market, is lovely. Great flavors.
And if you're looking for a quick Mexican meal, the Mexican Post on Chestnut Street between 2nd and 3rd is fabulous. I recommend the Enchilladas Suizas or the Texas Burrito.
You absolutely must make time to visit the Ben Franklin museum, also within walking distance of your hotel. Part of the tour included the post office he "founded" and the cancelation stamp that he used. Also on the grounds is a preserved excavation of his family's homestead.
Another not0-to-miss restaurant is Pasion--latin influence and creative presentations. It is located on 15th at locust. It's where I take all my out of town clients.