Downtown
4 Star
Hyatt Penn's Landing
Loews Philadelphia
Omni Philadelphia
Park Hyatt at the Bellevue
Westin Philadelphia
Sofitel Philadelphia

I would be ok with Omni, Sofitel and Westin, not sure about the others, especially Hyatt Penn's Landing. Any insights?
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 08:57 AM
yk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Deb,

Hyatt Penn's Landing will be okay, if you don't mind walking a little bit. It's on the river front, and is "separated" from Old City by the Interstate highway. But there is a pedestrian bridge that connects the waterfront with Old City, so as long as you're going to Philly during warm weather months, it's totally fine.

Loews and Park Hyatt are fine too.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 08:58 AM

We stayed three weeks ago at Loew's (booked with Hotwire). Very nice hotel, good location. City Hall, Reading Terminal Market and Macy's adjacent. Walking distance to the restaurant&nightlife district on Walnut Street.

The Hyatt Penn's Landing is closer to the historic district; the immediate surroundings are somewhat barren (but distances are generally short in Philadelphia, hence no problem). Haven't been inside the Hyatt.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

I also just saw that Le Meridien is opening soon and some one got it for $83 a night during my same dates in August. 4* on hotwire. I have never used hotwire, does it work the same as priceline name your own? Do the same free rebids , using different zones with no 4 * work on hotwire?
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 09:19 AM
yk

Deb, it doesn't work the same. For HW, you're told the price up front, no bidding involved. However, you don't know which hotel you'll get (except that you put in request for * level and zone). If you go to betterbidding, there may be some ways you can identify the hotel (based on the amenities the hotel offers), but it's not fool-proof.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 09:32 AM

Hotwire gives you more control. It displays location, hotel class, amenities and price. Then you look up www.betterbidding.com to identify the hotel. Then you book with Hotwire and pay immediately. No changes of reservation, no refunds.

We paid incredibly cheap prices for several hotels with Hotwire and were always given good rooms.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 10:51 AM

With a combination of BetterBidding and icons on TripAdvisor (except when they match exactly) you can, sometimes, identify the Hotwire hotels, or narrow them down.

With Hotwire, there's no bidding. You make a selection, book/pay, then learn the hotel.

We've stayed at the Hyatt many times (Hotwire) and loved the place. Service was exceptional (everyone knows your name!).

If you are able to get a significantly discounted rate, the savings will more than offset the occasional taxi, if necessary.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all input, greatly helpful!
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 05:32 AM

Just wanted to add that of all of these, I like Le Meridien's location the least (even compared to the Hyatt, which someone correctly noted is on the other side of 95 from Society Hill). I'm sure Le Meridien will be a lovely hotel, but it's across from the municipal services building and on the same block as the Probation and Parole Office, so there's a lot of people lining up and hanging around on the block during the day. At night that block and that whole area is pretty desolate. For the most part, decent dining is a walk to Chinatown, Rittenhouse, etc.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Good to know, MLT, thanks~
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 02:02 PM

Hotwire makes it easier to identify your hotel with Hotwire hotel lists on www.hoteldealsrevealed.com/hotelinventory/ but it depends what you're after. If price is important, Priceline is often 10% to 25% cheaper than Hotwire.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 02:28 PM

We stayed in the Sofitel last summer and loved it. It was within walking distance of lots of good restaurants, had a very nice bar area and great concierge service.

Our room was great, we were on a business trip and had a suite - very nice. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 09:18 PM

Loews is located on a street corner which is literally diagonally across the intersection from the Market. We walked to all historical sights from there and didn't find it too taxing, but we don't mind doing lots of walking. It has a wonderful fitness area with a long narrow pool for swimming laps, saunas, showers, workout equipment, etc. and a nice view from up high. Rooms are very nice, we had a huge corner room with windows on two sides and lots of space - great for our family of 5.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

I realized that I never reported back on this query. I ended up booking with Perfect Escapes. I got the Sofitel for $139 a night which included early check in, room upgrade if available and late check out. None of these are guaranteed, but are subject to availability. This was not a prepay, so it can be cancelled.

I still check Hotwire for possible better rates and Le Meridien is showing up as a 4.5 * with weekend rate pretty low, but weekday rate higher.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 05:59 AM
blu

How do you figure out which hotel you are getting if you go through Hotwire.com
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

It isn't a sure bet, but you can use the amenities, star ratings etc listed for hotel and check them against the list posted on betterbidding.com

That site also has posts from people who have reported back their wins. Read the info on betterbidding to understand how to use hotwire.

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showforum=172&
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

I am still wrestling with hotel. Hotwire has a 4* hotel in City Center east going for $89 - that's a big difference compared to $139 for Sofitel [though I would love staying at Sofitel]. $200 less for 4 nights, I am going back and forth on going for it.

Seems like it could be Westin, or Loews, Le Meridien, Park Hyatt.

Decisions, decisons....
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 06:33 AM
blu

Can anyone help? I see in Hotwire.com a hotel in Philadelphia Center City East area, with a fitness center, restaurant, laundry, and internet for $89 a night 3 1/2 starts. Would anyone have any idea which hotel this is? And if so, is it a good hotel and location?
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 06:41 AM

Have you looked at the Better Bidding calendar? Listed on several occassions is the Radison Warwick as a 3.5* win in Center City East. Club Quarters is also listed once
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

blu, you can ask for help in ID's hotel right on the betterbidding board. sign up and post Q..

Good location for what?? My understand is that City Center East is a good location for most tourist sites.

Hotel list here:

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=90&

Check out reviews on trip advisor for hotels.

Also, it is nice to book using the link at top of betterbidding page so they get some type of $$ to support the site. If you go to hotwire directly, betterbidding doesn't get any credit for it. Doesn't change anything on your end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -